Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Evolution Question (Philosophical, not theological)

Featured Replies

There has been a lot of discussion among my peers and I as well as on this site recently about evolution. It has got me to thinking about a "theory." I don't know if I read this somewhere or thought of it myself, but here are my thoughts/questions that lead to more questions. And FWIW I believe that evolution 100%, absolutely did occur.

 

1) As far as I know, evolution is a process.

2) This brings me to: Is evolution still occuring?

 

IF NO: When did it stop? Obviously it was not overnight, but was there a period in time where humans (or another species) somehow stopped it.

 

IF YES: In say, 50,000 years from now, what will humans be like? Will humans like us today become like monkeys to the people living in 50,000 years?

 

 

Again, this is just one of my strange, deep thoughts. Not a theological question at all.

Species have adapted over millions of years. I believe they will continue to. As far as humans go, probably a little different in 50K, now in 1M, very different. I have no idea how, but my guess is overpopulation will be the trigger.

In short, I believe humans will merge with technology. Where that takes us, I have no idea.

  • Author
Species have adapted over millions of years. I believe they will continue to. As far as humans go, probably a little different in 50K, now in 1M, very different. I have no idea how, but my guess is overpopulation will be the trigger.

 

I think I agree. So it makes me wonder, will humans living in year 1,000,000 look at humans who live[d] in 2015 (us) in the same way that we look at monkeys today? (Since, if I'm correct, at one point monkeys were the most advanced form of monkey/most intelligent form of life - like humans are now)

Another difference will be life span IMO. Probably in 50K it could be in the low 100's and in 1M 200+

  • Author
In short, I believe humans will merge with technology. Where that takes us, I have no idea.

 

This is a possibility too. Hopefully its not like Will Smith's I-Robot. :)

I think I agree. So it makes me wonder, will humans living in year 1,000,000 look at humans who live[d] in 2015 (us) in the same way that we look at monkeys today? (Since, if I'm correct, at one point monkeys were the most advanced form of monkey/most intelligent form of life - like humans are now)

 

Not sure but interesting thought.

According to Wikipedia, 99% of all species that ever lived on earth are now extinct. There are currently an estimated 14 million species of life on the planet. That means there's already been many millions of species that have evolved, flourished, and then left the scene forever. And all this long before humans ever made their appearance. The modern form of humans as we know it has only been around for about 200,000 years, and civilization as we know it has only been around for 6,000 years. We're virtually newcomers to the party in the history of all species.

Evolution continues. Not sure what's coming down the lane but it will be in response to various environmental changes. Temperatures warming, temperatures cooling, greater air pollution, water conservation, new nutrients and foods as a result of these and other factors, population shifts, etc.

This is a possibility too. Hopefully its not like Will Smith's I-Robot. :)

 

I loved I-Robot but that was the tired old robots take over plot.

 

We already have human examples of Will Smith in the movie (bionic limb) and there are many other areas of our move towards the singularity.

 

5 Crazy Technologies That Are Revolutionizing Biotech | Brain-Computer Interfaces & Bionic Humans

 

In short, I believe tech will move so fast it will supersede most evolutionary processes in humans other than ones that involve us evolving to work better with technology.

In short, I believe humans will merge with technology. Where that takes us, I have no idea.

 

Something like this:

Picard_as_Locutus.jpg

I believe that in Gods plan , it never stops . Evolution is ongoing .

Something like this:

 

The future is coming. Resistance is futile.

Humans are taller, live longer, races are integrating...

Technology will be a big key. It is not out of the realm of possibility in a very short time, let's say 50 years that we will be able to have a chip (any new technology inserted here) implanted to determine any health issues at the earliest stages immediately and treatments to combat them, as well. Life spans will definitely increase.

 

Clean water and the availability of it is the #1 critical variable to our quality of life and existence. Climate change is critical, but water will be the determining factor. Lack of clean and sanitary water is the number 1 need world wide and is the impetus for global poverty and the advancement of any third world nation. Not the only factor or variable, but the primary one.

 

In 100 years water will be extremely expensive. We may already be beyond preserving or conserving enough. Desalination companies will control the finances of the world much like oil companies do today.

 

It will also factor into our evolution.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.