April 27, 201511 yr I don't understand the affinity the runners and bikers have for that road. Same, you couldn't pay me to run or bike on that road. There is also a park 2 minutes down the road with a pretty large track/patch to ride/run on.
April 27, 201511 yr Same, you couldn't pay me to run or bike on that road. There is also a park 2 minutes down the road with a pretty large track/patch to ride/run on. Running is one thing, but most people own a road bike. Those are not built or designed to ride in parks at slow paces or on non-paved surfaces. My guess is these are road bikes.
April 27, 201511 yr For me, I prefer road to most sidewalks for a couple of reasons. 1.If the road is black top it's easier on the joints. 2.Typically roads are smoother and better maintained than sidewalks. Sidewalks could have curbs, roots going under them making them uneven, just basic wear over the years where sections have risen or lowered. 3.I like to tick off Fedex drivers
April 27, 201511 yr I'll always run on a road, and bike on a road. I don't have a very wide body, so it's not like I'm taking up very much space. I'll run against traffic and ride with it, because that's the smart thing to do. Sidewalks aren't really good for activity, because they weren't designed to support a lot of activity. Roads were. Roads are better maintained and are a better surface. I'm not sure I am following what the issue here is. They aren't as fast as cars? You should have known that by now, I think. They take up too much space? You must have some super far runners in your town. I've never thought it was a big issue, and I pass at least 2 or 3 every day when it's warm. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the big issue. I've never almost hit one of them, and I'm not a great driver. So that can't be a real issue.
April 27, 201511 yr I am a recreational runner. I would prefer to run on the sidewalk, just not too many near where I live. I try to stay off of busy roads altogether, but even "non-busy" roads get cars. I always do whatever I can to get out of the way, even stop and get off the road if I can...it's not like I'm trying to set a world speed record...and I run with three dogs. Also, it is usually before dawn when I run, and although we have a lot of reflective stuff, better to be alive than squished. Most drivers are very accommodating, however, just like runners/bikers...there are always a few tools.
April 27, 201511 yr I'll always run on a road, and bike on a road. I don't have a very wide body, so it's not like I'm taking up very much space. I'll run against traffic and ride with it, because that's the smart thing to do. Sidewalks aren't really good for activity, because they weren't designed to support a lot of activity. Roads were. Roads are better maintained and are a better surface. I'm not sure I am following what the issue here is. They aren't as fast as cars? You should have known that by now, I think. They take up too much space? You must have some super far runners in your town. I've never thought it was a big issue, and I pass at least 2 or 3 every day when it's warm. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the big issue. I've never almost hit one of them, and I'm not a great driver. So that can't be a real issue. It is generally a patience issue. Runners/bikers can put themselves in more dangerous situations, but often those are created because drivers do not want to pull around or slow down for any amount of time. Now that doesn't mean sometimes runners/bikers aren't oblivious and doing things they shouldn't be, but it has been my experience the drivers are the ones typically at fault. It is human nature to preach about exercising patience until we have to practice it.
April 27, 201511 yr I'm with ya Lawnboy . And I bike quite a bit , but I'm NOT one of those " I own the road " bikers .. heck I dont even expect cars to make room for me . To me the ROAD is for cars and bikers and runners need to keep off them - IF , IF they can . The riders who think because they ride a bike can be treated like a motorcycle or car are just asking for a bad result .
April 27, 201511 yr I'm with ya Lawnboy . And I bike quite a bit , but I'm NOT one of those " I own the road " bikers .. heck I dont even expect cars to make room for me . To me the ROAD is for cars and bikers and runners need to keep off them - IF , IF they can . The riders who think because they ride a bike can be treated like a motorcycle or car are just asking for a bad result . That is fine, but by law they do have the same rights.
April 27, 201511 yr Isn't it supposed to be illegal to bike on a sidewalk? I'm a walker and always look for sidewalks.
April 27, 201511 yr I'm with ya Lawnboy . And I bike quite a bit , but I'm NOT one of those " I own the road " bikers .. heck I dont even expect cars to make room for me . To me the ROAD is for cars and bikers and runners need to keep off them - IF , IF they can . The riders who think because they ride a bike can be treated like a motorcycle or car are just asking for a bad result . The only time I have a real issues withe bikers is when they ride 2 or 3 abreast and don't give you room to pass they. I will swing out wide to go around them but if they are 2 wide sometimes you can't. To the whole point of they have as much right to the road, I know that's the case BUT I really believe that bikes should have to be licensed and that fee put into the road fund. Yes they have the right to the road but they do nothing to pay for upkeep.
April 27, 201511 yr Author For me, I prefer road to most sidewalks for a couple of reasons. 1.If the road is black top it's easier on the joints. 2.Typically roads are smoother and better maintained than sidewalks. Sidewalks could have curbs, roots going under them making them uneven, just basic wear over the years where sections have risen or lowered. 3.I like to tick off Fedex drivers :laugh: I am a recreational runner. I would prefer to run on the sidewalk, just not too many near where I live. I try to stay off of busy roads altogether, but even "non-busy" roads get cars. I always do whatever I can to get out of the way, even stop and get off the road if I can...it's not like I'm trying to set a world speed record...and I run with three dogs. Also, it is usually before dawn when I run, and although we have a lot of reflective stuff, better to be alive than squished. Most drivers are very accommodating, however, just like runners/bikers...there are always a few tools. Damn UPS drivers. :lol2:
April 27, 201511 yr Isn't it supposed to be illegal to bike on a sidewalk? Under KY law, bicyclists are treated the same as motorists in a vehicle. Whether or not a bike is permitted on a sidewalk is generally left up to the city, I believe.
April 27, 201511 yr While we are on this subject, I will take a minute to complain about bikers. And first of all, I enjoy riding my bike. However, many of the roads in our area, while scenic and great for biking, also are the only roads for cars. Why do the bikers have to think they are in the tour de France and ride 4 wide across a very narrow road? Also, I ride horses at Masterson Station in Lexington with others, and the head of the equestrian program has repeatedly talked to the people leading the bikers group for their Monday night ride, but the bikers can't seem to get the fact that horses don't understand bikes. And what a prey animal doesn't understand, it fears. That fear CAN cause a panic situation which would not be good for those novices on lesson horses. My ride is pretty bomb-proof, but I can't count how many times bikers have come speeding up to or by us and some of the horses are quite jumpy. It makes me wonder if the bikers don't feel it is their obligation to share the space nicely.
April 27, 201511 yr Isn't it supposed to be illegal to bike on a sidewalk? I'm a walker and always look for sidewalks. It varies by the community, but generally riding a bike on a sidewalk is against local law. It is dangerous to ride on a sidewalk if you are doing much more than piddling along.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.