ESPN: Jameis Winston Says Employee Gave Him Seafood

Winston explains crab legs incident - ESPN Video

Was a bit surprised that nobody had mentioned this one yet, but James spoke with Jim Harbaugh and explained the situation, and honestly, I think it made sense on a lot of levels. Obviously, Jameis should have known that the employee probably wasn't authorized to just give him all of that by management, but it also isn't as if he snatched them when no one was looking, hid them under his jacket and tried to sneak out of the store.

I've always thought that this was an issue where he was either given them by a store employee, but honestly thought that the most likely scenario was that it was some kind of set-up (Florida fans are crazy and a guy did just that to Todd Gurley).

In any event, I think people who thought that he was trying to shoplift them without any employees knowing are probably realizing that's not how things went down. I've always felt that someone in the store had to be in on it because I don't know any chain supermarket like Publix that sells delicacies like seafood and just has everything sitting out in the open-- in most cases it's handled by an employee who picks them out for you, wraps and weighs them, etc.

I haven't read the article but why bring it up again? I thought this was in the rear view mirror and if so this has the potential to hurt him again if more negative information becomes public.

It's an interview, and I think it's just a soundbite from a larger pre-draft thing like Gruden's QB camp where he was being interviewed by Jim Harbaugh.

It's an interview, and I think it's just a soundbite from a larger pre-draft thing like Gruden's QB camp where he was being interviewed by Jim Harbaugh.

Is it weird that the current coach at Michigan is interviewing former/recent players from other schools? Doesn't that seem like something he could use against that school in recruiting? Am I off base here?

Hopefully he was well prepared with the big picture in mind.

I'm sure it's one of those situations that they knew would be brought up when taking the interview, and I'm guessing his people had him prepared for it.

I think he came off well enough. We're talking about a guy who was accepted into Stanford out of high school and got a respectable 26 on the Wonderlic, which is probably as telling about his makeup as anything else.

Winston explains crab legs incident - ESPN Video

Was a bit surprised that nobody had mentioned this one yet, but James spoke with Jim Harbaugh and explained the situation, and honestly, I think it made sense on a lot of levels. Obviously, Jameis should have known that the employee probably wasn't authorized to just give him all of that by management, but it also isn't as if he snatched them when no one was looking, hid them under his jacket and tried to sneak out of the store.

I've always thought that this was an issue where he was either given them by a store employee, but honestly thought that the most likely scenario was that it was some kind of set-up (Florida fans are crazy and a guy did just that to Todd Gurley).

In any event, I think people who thought that he was trying to shoplift them without any employees knowing are probably realizing that's not how things went down. I've always felt that someone in the store had to be in on it because I don't know any chain supermarket like Publix that sells delicacies like seafood and just has everything sitting out in the open-- in most cases it's handled by an employee who picks them out for you, wraps and weighs them, etc.

So he admitted to breaking NCAA rules? Can FSU get penalized for this.

So he admitted to breaking NCAA rules? Can FSU get penalized for this.

He did, but doubtful it's more than a secondary violation that is nothing by itself and not something that is going to end up as anything meaningful for FSU. Believe there was a quote from Sandy Bell in the LHL years ago about how people buy UK's player's dinners when they see them out at restaurants, probably something like this, not really schemes.

They'd be in trouble if it was something they knew about, but sounds like it was a fan who worked in the store and wanted to impress them, at least if Jameis is telling the truth. Someone in the store gave them to him though if I'm guessing. I don't think Jameis went and snuck behind the counter and jacked them. Honestly my first thought when I heard about it was that some crazy Florida fan set him up like they did to Gurley.