Highlands Home Field

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the City and Highlands worked an agreeable schedule out from the beginning, then it would solved a lot of heartache. If they did have a schedule already, then the coach at Highlands needs to plan his Varsity AND JV practices more efficiently.

That was my point exactly. If you know you have 2 hrs then organize the practice to that time. On alighter note I have heard the HHS baseball team is having a rather successful season. Would be nice if someone on "the inside would enlighten BGPers to that, instead of insight on how a field schedule should prioritized.

That was my point exactly. If you know you have 2 hrs then organize the practice to that time. On alighter note I have heard the HHS baseball team is having a rather successful season. Would be nice if someone on "the inside would enlighten BGPers to that, instead of insight on how a field schedule should prioritized.

Don't they have a losing record? I don't know how successful that would be. I know they beat the Beechies which is a nice win.

The use of the football field for soccer only occurs in the spring, so football is over. The use of that field comes at a pretty steep price if you ask me. The problem is that the recreation department does not worry about the upkeep/improvement of the baseball diamonds in the city. You cannot practice at Storrs field as someone suggested. Woodfill fields are used by Knothole teams. Rossford park has four fields which are probably the only ones used by the Junior Baseball League. Honestly, the way that Highland Park is configured (grass infield) does not make it conducive for little league softball/baseball. Perhaps a little more pressure needs to be put on Berger to improve the parks/baseball fields.

The football field is also used for soccer practice in the fall, mostly by the girls and boys high school teams. The football team and staff have been very supportive and shared their field when inclement weather or the soccer team had upcoming away games on FieldTurf. I do not think any youth or club teams practice on the football field in the fall though.

Don't they have a losing record? I don't know how successful that would be. I know they beat the Beechies which is a nice win.

I don't know their record. Hence the request from someone that does. I know they beat Sy X Cincy. I'd say around a .500 record is fairly successful for HHS when it comes to baseball.

I don't know their record. Hence the request from someone that does. I know they beat Sy X Cincy. I'd say around a .500 record is fairly successful for HHS when it comes to baseball.

From what I looked up on the scoreboard they are 6-10.

The football field is also used for soccer practice in the fall, mostly by the girls and boys high school teams. The football team and staff have been very supportive and shared their field when inclement weather or the soccer team had upcoming away games on FieldTurf. I do not think any youth or club teams practice on the football field in the fall though.

The band practices on the field in the fall along with some of the Jr. football league teams, if time permits.

I have 3 kids in the Ft. Thomas Schools including one at HHS. I am also a board member of the Jr. League. Nice try. I simply think that since it's a city park supported by tax dollars of all the tax paying citizens a league supporting 300 of it's kids deserves the same priority as a team supporting 30? kids.

:thumb:

People should be working together on this issue and if there is abuse of the field that needs to be addressed by the coaches of the little league teams. If the HHS JV and Varsity are not getting enough practice on the playing field, there is no reason they cannot get individual work on their own at batting cages or on any GRASSY field somewhere in the city. Situational practice should probably take place at the beginning of practice .... and I am not even a coach but that is a no brainer.

Highlands curently has some of the best coaches they have had in many seasons on both the varsity and JV levels. They work extremely hard and take great pride in that fact that they are representing Highlands and Ft. thomas. Questioning their practice methods is hardly a constructive way of discussing the problem. They run efficient, well-executed practices. I've seen them and I know them. Any coach or even long-time baseball observer knows, however, that even the best laid plans for a practice can go awry if a skill being taught isn't grasped or needs additional time or whatever. That's not excusing anyone from a schedule, it's just reality when it comes to teaching our great game. I also don't think the timing issue is the real problem here, but respecting the time and work that the team has put into what is in fact "their" home field. They do and should take pride in their work and probably just don't want to see it all undone whether intentionally or not. Of course the park is for the public, hence the term pubic parks, but I don't think giving the school team from the ONLY high school in the city a little leeway in terms of scheduling at this time of year is asking too much.