Holy Cross 6 CovCath 4

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

CCH had Stephens go about 5 innings leaving the game when it was 4-2.

Than Isler came in the 6 and 7th innings and gave up the lead. Curtain closed it out for CCH but already down 2 at the point.

Jimmy Ryan went the distance for HC

The game started out great for the Colonels, who got a huge break when the pinch runner for the CovCath catcher, was picked off first to end the inning, but the HC pitcher was called for a balk by the home plate umpire (IMO it was a balk, and I told my daughter he balked as soon as he threw the ball to first). CovCath proceeded to score two runs on some good hitting.

Both team made some great defensive plays and both teams had some timely hitting to keep the game very close.

The game to this point was going very well for the CovCath Colonels, that is until the top of the seventh.....

The end came for CovCath on one play, when the young CovCath pitcher made a nice play with a runner on second, and no outs (the number of outs I am not sure of, but I believe there were none). The CovCath pitcher who made a nice play on the ball, caught the HC runner between third and second, but instead of running directly to the HC player and making him make the first move, instead threw the ball to second base, so of course the HC runner ran to third, and the throw from second hit the HC runner in the back. From there it fell apart for the young CovCath pitcher and the Colonels......

:thumb: :thumb: Should be a good battle between CCH, HC, and BW.

:thumb: The 35th district has been toughest district for the last 4 years, but they did lose Ludlow which was one of the top 2 teams in the district for the last 2 year! Which Im sure CovCath is happy to have Ludlow gone now. ;) :thumb:

But now with Beechwood the 35th district is still the best district in the 9th region. I know Holy Cross won today, but IMO it definitely will be Beechwood, and CovCath that comes out of the district this year!

So does this mean the district will set up with

#1 Holy Cross vs. #4 Holmes

#2 CovCath vs. #3 Beechwood

Could possibly have the top 2 teams in the region playing in the first round of the district.

No not yet....Beechwood did lose to CovCath in their first meeting of the season, but it wasn't a district game. BW only loss of the season other than to CovCath was to Highlands in the Doc Morris tourney.

I think seeding will wind up just the opposite, of the basketball seeding.

Basketball/Baseball

1. Holmes 4.

2. CovCath 3.

3. CovHoly Cross 2.

4. Beechwood 1.

It would be very possible for all three teams to end up 2-1 and the seeds be determined by a tiebreaker. Beechwood and Holy Cross control their own destinies at this point. I don't mean to disparage Holmes but they are really young and don't have the pitching and defense needed to beat the other three in a district game. Beechwood has to get two tough wins and HC only one more tough win to claim the district. It will be interesting. All three teams are pretty even IMO.

CCH had Stephens go about 5 innings leaving the game when it was 4-2.

Than Isler came in the 6 and 7th innings and gave up the lead. Curtain closed it out for CCH but already down 2 at the point.

Jimmy Ryan went the distance for HC

Interesting choice to bring in the FROSH pitcher. He must be throwing well for Krumps to have that much confidence in him in a district game.

While it didn't fare well for him today, his appearance alone tells me he will be a player over the next 3 seasons.

Did Maile catch? I've noticed that he appears to be smacking the ball around pretty well at the varsity level. I've seen a few 2/3s and 3/4s in the boxscore recently.

Yes....he has been batting 4th...he's hitting like 430 (second behind Blazewski (460ish)...and gets walked a lot....