Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2015 Class 6A Preseason Top 10

Featured Replies

In a single class. Where they were originally excluded from all other classes regardless of school size.

Yes, at the beginning they were guaranteed two teams in the finals every year.

  • Replies 122
  • Views 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because geography is not the end all and be all of a state tournament. The purpose of a state tournament is to pit the best teams in the state (at every class level) against each other. If you want to discover who's the best in a best fourth of the state then have a separate out-of tournament game for the top teams of each district.

 

I will admit that geography is a factor (mostly because of travel times/expenses) however, this set-up would allow for reasonably close games while still guaranteeing that the best teams in state made it to the finals, regardless of whether they are from opposite ends of the state or in the same town.

 

I am very curious how does your format make the games closer? You still have really good teams playing really bad teams in certain games. As for the best two teams playing for the state championship, you have never not had that. It may not happen in the championship game but it will somewhere down the line. It makes no sense to me to have a team playing in the state championship game that isn't even the best team in their city or region.

  • Author
Other than splitting the regions, I agree with you. Rotate the semis where the regional champions of Louisville, Lexington, NKY and WKY play different teams each year. The splitting of the actual geographic region for the first 3 rounds does not make any sense for anybody outside of Louisville. It really doesn't make sense for Louisville either except they like the idea of an all Louisville title game.

 

If they are the best two 6A teams in state than they deserve to be in the final together.

 

The same way that if Highlands and Covcath are the best two 5A teams in state, they deserve to be in the finals together.

 

It not about one specific team, it's about seeing the best in state earn their way to the finals instead of being handed an easy road. The 2014 6A state champion was decided in the the third round. That shouldn't happen in any Class, but because of how the tournament is structured, it did.

  • Author
I am very curious how does your format make the games closer? You still have really good teams playing really bad teams in certain games. As for the best two teams playing for the state championship, you have never not had that. It may not happen in the championship game but it will somewhere down the line. It makes no sense to me to have a team playing in the state championship game that isn't even the best team in their city or region.

 

Even if the second best in a region is better than any other team? Imagine if the NCAA tried to do that for March Madness, there would be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

 

I meant the title games would be closer. Besides, how can you act like any team that isn't first/second best in the state, deserves to be at the final? Where they come from shouldn't matter, only their abilities as a team.

If they are the best two 6A teams in state than they deserve to be in the final together.

 

The same way that if Highlands and Covcath are the best two 5A teams in state, they deserve to be in the finals together.

 

It not about one specific team, it's about seeing the best in state earn their way to the finals instead of being handed an easy road. The 2014 6A state champion was decided in the the third round. That shouldn't happen in any Class, but because of how the tournament is structured, it did.

 

In theory, you are correct that the best two teams should play in the finals. Sadly, we do not live in that type of utopia and it would take a complete overhaul of the system in Kentucky. The KHSAA would have to get rid of districts and use a different system to set up the playoffs. Even with this, it wouldn't be a guarantee. The state of KY uses Geography for every tournament they run. 6A football should not be any different.

 

Highlands and CovCath are in the same district. How do you fix that?

Even if the second best in a region is better than any other team? Imagine if the NCAA tried to do that for March Madness, there would be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

 

I meant the title games would be closer. Besides, how can you act like any team that isn't first/second best in the state, deserves to be at the final? Where they come from shouldn't matter, only their abilities as a team.

 

Funny you mention college sports. If you look at the final four of football that is exactly what they did. 4 teams coming from 4 different regions. By your rational we should just seed the whole tournament and pay no attention to districts or region.

  • Author
In theory, you are correct that the best two teams should play in the finals. Sadly, we do not live in that type of utopia and it would take a complete overhaul of the system in Kentucky. The KHSAA would have to get rid of districts and use a different system to set up the playoffs. Even with this, it wouldn't be a guarantee. The state of KY uses Geography for every tournament they run. 6A football should not be any different.

 

Highlands and CovCath are in the same district. How do you fix that?

 

If the theory is correct then the practice should follow suit. My suggestion would improve this system. Also, you keep assuming that I am only talking about 6A. This is a system I would like to see apply to all levels of football, and if other sports do not fairly represent the strongest schools apply it to them as well.

 

That's obvious. There are two NKY districts. Put Highlands in one and Covcath in the other.

  • Author
Funny you mention college sports. If you look at the final four of football that is exactly what they did. 4 teams coming from 4 different regions. By your rational we should just seed the whole tournament and pay no attention to districts or region.

 

Honestly, that would be the best. However, I recognize that travel time/expenses would make it economically unfeasible.

 

Actually seeding the regions (instead of using districts), then applying the structure I suggested would work really well. Especially if the higher ranked team was the the one that had to travel, giving a home field advantage to the team that has the lesser chance of winning and providing with better games, throughout the tournament.

 

Thanks for sparking that idea.

1. But it does change how it's suddenly being enforced to make the top title winners and typically the strongest teams in the state play out each other, which opens an easy path to the state finals for anyone on the opposite bracket, and leading to blowout championship games.

 

2. Hmmm... not sure if I got my point across. The new tournament would look like.

 

Louisville 1/Western 2..................Louisville 2/Western 1

 

.........................State Championship

 

Lexington 1/NKY 2......................Lexington 2/NKY 1

 

The winner of each quarter bracket would take on the one above/below them in the semis.

 

3. Well, I'll be dipped. You are correct about those two. My point about the others still stands though.

 

I am also curious in this scenario how do you guarentee the best two teams make the final? What if the best two teams are Louisville 1 and Lexington 1? Or what if St X and Male are the best two teams? They are in the same district. Your scenario only guarantees that every region has a chance to have two teams in the finals nothing more nothing less.

If the theory is correct then the practice should follow suit. My suggestion would improve this system. Also, you keep assuming that I am only talking about 6A. This is a system I would like to see apply to all levels of football, and if other sports do not fairly represent the strongest schools apply it to them as well.

 

That's obvious. There are two NKY districts. Put Highlands in one and Covcath in the other.

 

Theory and practice do not always follow suit. Socialism works in theory, but in practice, not so much.

 

I respect your opinion, but this argument is like anything else. Your argument benefits you (Louisville) and our argument benefits the rest of the state's 6A regions. We will have to agree to disagree.

Edited by Builder1214

  • Author
I am also curious in this scenario how do you guarentee the best two teams make the final? What if the best two teams are Louisville 1 and Lexington 1? Or what if St X and Male are the best two teams? They are in the same district. Your scenario only guarantees that every region has a chance to have two teams in the finals nothing more nothing less.

 

You make a good point and honestly it was something I had wrestled with while writing these. However, replacing the districts with regional seeding as suggested in the comment above would solve it nicely. I really do gotta thank you for giving me that idea. That's why debate is so valuable.

  • Author
Theory and practice do not always follow suit. Socialism is great in theory, but in practice, not so much.

 

I respect your opinion, but this argument is like anything else. Your argument benefits you (Louisville) and our argument benefits the rest of the state's 6A regions. We will have to agree to disagree.

 

Actually Socialism is terrible is theory. I depends upon all of humanity acting in concert without the motivation of self-aggrandizement. A theory that flawed would never work in practice. Also, as I keep pointing out, I'm not looking to apply this just 6A football. Honestly it should be applied at all levels. If you wish to agree to disagree that is your business, but please do not assume you have perfect knowledge of the motivations behind my actions just because they are in opposition to yours.

I thought this thread was about the top 10?

If you can't beat 'em, litigate 'em? :lol2:

 

Sigh... that is a real disappointment. Is there any lobbying against that? I suspect Trinity and St. X won't say much given that their word won't hold much weight with the KHSAA anyway. However, I would imagine Male and Manual would be unhappy to get permanently stuck with the hardest road to the state finals.

 

 

Actually Socialism is terrible is theory. I depends upon all of humanity acting in concert without the motivation of self-aggrandizement. A theory that flawed would never work in practice. Also, as I keep pointing out, I'm not looking to apply this just 6A football. Honestly it should be applied at all levels. If you wish to agree to disagree that is your business, but please do not assume you have perfect knowledge of the motivations behind my actions just because they are in opposition to yours.

 

I apologize if I have misinterpreted your stance. I was under the impression that you were in support of Louisville schools based upon your previous posts.

 

My point on socialism was the system works in theory, but in practice it does not. Poor use of the word great. In theory, your system would work, but in reality it would be very difficult to manage. The reason geography is used is because of ease. That is about the only reason.

  • Author
I thought this thread was about the top 10?

 

Chuckle. So did I, but then a casual complaint provoked an argument. Among my flaws is an unwillingness to ignore criticism.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.