Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What happens when you die?

Featured Replies

This came up today in Sunday School. Two options seemed to dominate.

 

1. When you die you immediately go to Heaven or Hell while existence on earth is still going on.

 

2. When you die, the soul sleeps until Christ return, then we all go up to Heaven or down to Hell at the same time as the Earth is destroyed.

 

What do you think?

  • Replies 36
  • Views 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are a Christian and you believe that you go to heaven or hell immediately, why would there be a second coming?

If you are a Christian and you believe that you go to heaven or hell immediately' date=' why would there be a second coming?[/quote']

 

The second coming is for the souls still walking the earth first...not necessarily for those that have passed.

Time does not exist in heaven. Everything happens and exists "now." Since God's existence is, creates, encompasses, and moves every thing to ever exist in the universe (time), everything is simply "now."

 

I'm probably not explaining my thoughts clearly. I'll probably be back on in an hour to explain better.

"For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who are asleep [are dead]. For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first” (1 Thessalonians 4:15-16).

I by no means am a biblical scholar but this sums up my beliefs on the dead and if they go to Heaven immediately.

I'll put it to you like a doctor told a friend of my mother when she was diagnosed with terminal cancer... "You're gig is up, lady. " He was brutal, but honest. I'll be brutal and honest as well. That's it, when you die , you're gig is up. Back to dust. No magic, ro rapture, no resurrection. It's a nice thought that something magical will happen but there is not one iota of evidence that would lead any rational thinking person to believe any supernatural transportation will happen to you after your cells stop functioning.

I'll put it to you like a doctor told a friend of my mother when she was diagnosed with terminal cancer... "You're gig is up' date=' lady. " He was brutal, but honest. I'll be brutal and honest as well. That's it, when you die , you're gig is up. Back to dust. No magic, ro rapture, no resurrection. It's a nice thought that something magical will happen but there is not one iota of evidence that would lead any rational thinking person to believe any supernatural transportation will happen to you after your cells stop functioning.[/quote']

 

True, but as always there is zero evidence to the contrary either.

Some people believe everything came from absolutely nothing.

I do not believe your soul "sleeps". I've sat with people who lay dying and their actions lead me to believe they were seeing and communicating with those who went before them. That would not occur if the soul sleeps.

Some people believe everything came from absolutely nothing.

 

Otherwise known as evolution.

Otherwise known as evolution.

 

 

I took it he was referring to the big bang theory.

In my understanding of Scripture, a person's spirit departs from their body when they die. The spirit will then go to either a place of peace or a place of anguish. The place of peace I believe is the present Heaven, but I don't believe that to be the same place where people will live eternally. The "new heaven" does not become reality until Jesus returns.

 

I don't believe in soul-sleeping primarily because of Jesus' statement to the thief on the cross & because of Paul's statement that to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord.

Some people believe everything came from absolutely nothing.

 

 

Some people believe everything came from a space daddy.

My wife gets everything...

I took it he was referring to the big bang theory.

 

That's how I understood it as well. I know a lot of Christians who also believe in evolution.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.