Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

ESPN to use in studio announcers...

Featured Replies

Rather than announcers that are actually in the arena. I watched some of the BYU game last night and thought that something was odd. Apparently to save money, ESPN is now commentating from their studios in Connecticut, rather than actually showing up in person.

 

I don't know if it will last or not, but what I witnessed last night was a complete failure. Which isn't surprising for ESPN, but its still nuts that they could think this is a good idea. I guess its to be expected when the network is ran by a UNC grad though.

For approximately 45 of the 2700 games telecast this season starting with Stephen F. Austin at Memphis (Tuesday, Dec. 2 at 7 p.m. ET on ESPNEWS), ESPN will supplement its on-site event presence with production support originating at ESPN.

 

“We have a new state-of-the-art facility and a commitment to the latest production innovations,” said ESPN Vice President, Remote Operations, Chris Calcinari. “Given those resources and the frequency and volume of college basketball, we are able to try something new.”

 

Isolating the available days for Bristol facilities played a key role in how the specific games were selected.

 

Of the actual specific plans, Calcinari noted, “For these select games, we plan to bring a smaller production truck to the event site with our standard complement of cameras, plus other equipment and operations personnel. The live individual camera and audio feeds will be sent back to ESPN in Bristol where a producer and director will be located, along with commentators who will call the action.”

 

ESPN to test Bristol integration on 45 college basketball productions - ESPN Front Row

Noticed this once recently, don't remember the game. Hate it.

 

I would rather them use no announcers at all so I can pretend/imagine to be at the game instead of talking heads from off site.

 

Think about it, if this catches on it's only a matter of time before the play by play/commentary is outsourced.

I just don't understand if you are already having a crew, skeleton or not, to show up at the game, why not have announcers on site.

 

I could understand if ESPN were picking up a feed from Zanzibar and had commentators in studio, but you already have people there. Makes absolutely no sense.

The only sense it makes is $$$ sense.

The only sense it makes is $$$ sense.

 

Great message to send to your employees, we will spend billions on TV rights, but we will cut corners on things like this.

 

You are right though, it's always boils down to money.

Hopefully the experiment fails.

 

I will say I will try to keep an open mind but it will be tough.

They should not be rewarded the next TV contract when it's up if that is how they will televise games. It's shameful.

They should not be rewarded the next TV contract when it's up if that is how they will televise games. It's shameful.

 

Is anyone in a position to compete against them?

They should not be rewarded the next TV contract when it's up if that is how they will televise games. It's shameful.

Well, somebody better be prepared to outbid them.

They've got the time, score, timeouts left, and foul count right there on screen. They even display who a foul is on. I use gamecast to track stats. That's all I need. They could do away with the announcers all together, just play the stadium noise, and I'd be a happy man. Then I could turn the sound back up.

Soccer does it some and it kinda works. I heard that BYU broadcast and it was terrible. If they turned up the crowd noise it would have been better.

Rather than announcers that are actually in the arena. I watched some of the BYU game last night and thought that something was odd. Apparently to save money, ESPN is now commentating from their studios in Connecticut, rather than actually showing up in person.

 

I don't know if it will last or not, but what I witnessed last night was a complete failure. Which isn't surprising for ESPN, but its still nuts that they could think this is a good idea. I guess its to be expected when the network is ran by a UNC grad though.

 

No Show Classes...No Show Reporting!!!

#TarHeelWay

Oh yeah, I'd watch the halftime in the arena, too, or at least part of it. I happen to prefer the dance team over a panel of 3 or 4 dips analyzing what I just witnessed. Once the floor show is done, scores and highlights are OK.

  • Author
The only sense it makes is $$$ sense.

 

#DisneyIsGoingBroke

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.