Jeff Martin Named New Boys Soccer Coach at Newport Central Catholic

New soccer coach - Newport Central Catholic High School

We are pleased to announce that Jeff Martin has been hired as head coach for our boys’ soccer team. Martin, an alumnus of Newport Catholic High School in the Class of 1981, is set to begin his tenure as leader of the boys’ soccer program this year, beginning with the fall 2015 season.

Martin has a strong knowledge of Newport Central Catholic and our boys’ soccer program. Since 2010, he has served as a coach and assistant coach for the freshman and varsity boys’ soccer teams. In addition to coaching at NCC, Martin has been a soccer coach at St. Thomas School in Fort Thomas, where he and his family are parishioners, since 2000.

“I teach, coach, and mentor young men to work hard and overachieve—not only on the field but off [of it],” said Martin. “I am looking forward to providing these student-athletes opportunities to learn teamwork, work ethic, passion, respect, and faith—characteristics that will be needed for the rest of their lives.”

In addition to his coaching experience, Martin has been a senior project manager at First Financial Bank since 2011. He also volunteers with Habitat for Humanity, the American Cancer Society, and Junior Achievement. He and his wife, Julie, have been married for 27 years and have a daughter, Kym; sons, Seth, Josh, and Luke (deceased); and granddaughter, Lana. Martin is a graduate of Northern Kentucky University where he participated in the 1985 NAIA World Series as baseball captain.

Congratulations to Jeff!! I have to admit .. this surprises me .. but I'm sure Jeff will do an outstanding job! He is a first class individual.

Best of luck!

Not exactly why this hire would surprise anyone?? IMO this is a great hire and if Jeff would not have been selected that would be the surprise. Not a better mentor, coach and person to lead the soccer program!!

Congrats Jeff and I am looking forward to great things on and off the field from the soccer program!!

Mr. Martin certainly appears to be a good role model and a stand up guy. Hopefully for the sake of their program he has gained a lot of knowledge of soccer, how to maximize the kids to their potential and an understanding of positioning. The fear here is that NCC panicked that they weren't going to find someone highly qualified after letting an experienced coach go and quickly settled for a high character former alum that at a minimum had some knowledge of the program.

I don't see any reference to his being a former or current player in adult leagues nor any coaching certifications/training in the notice of hire so I guess we will have to wait and see what kind of soccer guy he turns out to be. People may not have liked "big mike" but he was a winner and obviously knows the game.

Knowing Jeff thru St. Thomas, he's a quality guy. He will do a good job. If he has the talent, there won't be a drop off in performance on the field.

I take it that Coach Martin is a good choice but I am not sure I "get" your last statement... Who wouldn't do well if they have "talent" on their team.