Off-Duty Officer Accidentally Shoots Himself

lawildcat

{Video of shooting is in the link}

Do officers often carry their duty weapon when off-duty?

Off-duty officer accidentally shoots self in OTR

An off-duty police officer accidentally shot himself in Over-the-Rhine Saturday night while he was on his way back from dinner with his wife.

Officer Darryl Jouett of the Erlanger Police Department was in an elevator in the Mercer Commons parking garage just after 8:30 p.m. when he went to adjust the weapon in his holster, police said in a release.

The duty-issued .40-caliber semi-automatic handgun discharged and the bullet ricocheted off the walls of the elevator and struck Jouett in the stomach, police said.

Jouett was taken to the University of Cincinnati Medical Center with a non-life threatening injury.

The Erlanger Police Department says that Jouett has been with the department for more than 25 years.

An off-duty police officer accidentally shot himself in Over-the-Rhine Saturday night while he was on his way back from dinner with his wife.

Officer Darryl Jouett of the Erlanger Police Department was in an elevator in the Mercer Commons parking garage just after 8:30 p.m. when he went to adjust the weapon in his holster, police said in a release.

The duty-issued .40-caliber semi-automatic handgun discharged and the bullet ricocheted off the walls of the elevator and struck Jouett in the stomach, police said.

Jouett was taken to the University of Cincinnati Medical Center with a non-life threatening injury.

The Erlanger Police Department says that Jouett has been with the department for more than 25 years.

A lot of agencies require you to carry off duty and provide the firearm as well. It doesn't mean everyone does but most do.

As soon as I saw how "wildly" the officer was searching for the opening of the holster I knew this would not end well. Preferably leave a gun alone if you hands are full but if you have to adjust, put down or hand off what you are holding, and use your free hand to clear the path to the holster to make reentry easy and safe.

^ NO my post is not careless! Just because the guy is an officer doesn't excuse COMMON SENSE when handling a firearm!

I'm entiled to my option and I don't give a darn what you or anyone else thinks! I think its classless of you calling me out on common sense with a firearm.

He is llucky, not only that he will be ok, but lucky he didn't hit his wife, and lucky no one else was in the elevator.

Face it, he was careless with his firearm. It's not like he slipped and fell or was taken down somehow. He was careless.

We've had several police brutality stories on here recently, but this is just ridiculous......

Hopefully that wasn't in poor taste, and hopefully the officer recovers quickly and fully!

I liked it and thought of some others along the same line as yours....

I agree with Bert. As its common sense. Anyone who had the slightest bit of firearm training will know you don't handle a weapon like this. And myself having a very good amount of training, I knownof several places that if Jenna working for them he would be out if a job, even if he was off duty, just them seeing the video would get him canned.

We've had several police brutality stories on here recently, but this is just ridiculous......

Hopefully that wasn't in poor taste, and hopefully the officer recovers quickly and fully!

Alleged police brutality...

:D

Feel bad for the guy. He got careless, no doubt. He's never gonna live this one down with his coworkers I'm sure.

He's lucky this didn't end up worse.

^ NO my post is not careless! Just because the guy is an officer doesn't excuse COMMON SENSE when handling a firearm!

I'm entiled to my option and I don't give a darn what you or anyone else thinks! I think its classless of you calling me out on common sense with a firearm.

He is llucky, not only that he will be ok, but lucky he didn't hit his wife, and lucky no one else was in the elevator.

Face it, he was careless with his firearm. It's not like he slipped and fell or was taken down somehow. He was careless.

Did he act thoughtless and careless, yes. Would I call him a careless idiot, no.

A year ago the Connersville Police Chief discharged his gun while reholstering also. He was in a gun shop and when he went to reholster his side arm, the end of his jackets draw string was dangling by the holster and made its way into the trigger guard. The plastic piece was able to rest on the trigger safety and has he pushed the gun into the holster, the tension on the string was able to pull the trigger and the gun fired. While the bullet did not enter his leg, it did go down along his thigh if that makes sense. It is generally taught to cut off draw strings or remove the jacket to reholster.

Myself, I am in the habit of both looking at the hoster to visually see the holster is clear and will feel into the holster to feel for any obstructions. I know doing both sounds a bit OCD but I prefer to only shoot targets, not my feet or thighs.