Meinken makeover

dpeevh

How did they get the shaft?

If it wasn't for the money from Holmes and the district back in the early 80's the present Meinken Field would never have been built. As time wore on original agreements between the school district and the city faded away or were chosen to be ignored, both schools seemingly became dual tenants which was not part of the original agreement.

Since the school district now owns the field, and will be providing upkeep to the facility, then I would say they should get first rights for varsity, b-team, and freshman games plus practice on off days at Meinken. If time is open outside of those parameters, I would imagine Holy Cross could use the field.

I shall re phrase then. Holtz and Ryan deserved better. The field was barely playable at times the last few years and if not for those two it wasn't playable. Holmes did NOTHING with upkeep. Also, if not mistaken didn't HC pay for the concession stand installed a few years ago?

If the school district is in charge of upkeep, I hope it is remembered a few years down the road that various local companies and organizations donated to this. It needs to be taken care of properly.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When did the school district purchase the field? From what I understand it was only within the last two years.

The prior upkeep was left to the city. They were concerned about spending their money elsewhere and that is their prerogative. Meinken has been in decline for years and with it sitting on an old landfill it didn't help matters. The field deteriorated to a point that was probably too expensive for individual upkeep and one had to rely on volunteers to take care of it.

I do believe the district has maintained the field in certain respects, cutting grass and continuing to do so in the offseason, and manning the maintenance of the restrooms and so forth.

I would imagine that those at Holy Cross did their fair share of work and did what they could to make the field as playable as possible.

The bottom line is that the field was in serious need of overhaul and fortunately the school district was able to get this grant or whatever you want to call it and it should be a pretty nice facility when completed.

The baseball fields at the FOPA complex use to be in pretty good shape. Have they deteriorated over the last few years?

• 4 months later...

Drove by here today. They are doing it right, turf is going down. Looks like they are prepping it to be a multi purpose field. Most of infield is in, and left field. Alternating shades of green in the OF in a stripe pattern, like Oregons football field. Looks like OF is being set up for football, as all stripes are perfectly horizontal to LF line running perpendicular to RF line, they were to about 2b. Looks great, that is going to be an awesome addition to not only the Covington community but all of local HS baseball.

• 2 weeks later...

One of those all turf things? Man I hope not, IMO that ruins the entire project. Those things are awful, either don't get seated right, move, not big enough for older players, not steep enough, whatever. That's like buying a Mercedes and getting cloth seats. Surely they aren't going to do that?