Meinken makeover

dpeevh

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are close to making 800k renovations to the facility. The Reds are putting up a portion donors some and maybe the school district some, I believe. They want to use the facility for some of the All-Star Game festivities.

It will have turf and other major improvements. I believe it will be nice

They are close to making 800k renovations to the facility. The Reds are putting up a portion donors some and maybe the school district some, I believe. They want to use the facility for some of the All-Star Game festivities.

It's about time.............this has been needed for DECADES!!!!

That's an aggressive time frame considering a lot of this work will need to be done in winter and wet spring season.

I am sure that both schools are thrilled and to a small extent, beechwood and cch who play districts there in back to back years.

It's about time.............this has been needed for DECADES!!!!

The problem was always the city not willing to keep the facility going, they wanted the school district to upgrade it and they legally couldn't because they didn't own it. They sold it to Covington Schools recently and if the facilities plan is adjusted for the district they can use bonding funds. That takes time and is easier said than done. The district has other building needs in schools, also. Generally the state will support school upgrades over athletics. Not sure that has been accomplished. Regardless, Holmes will control the facility, I believe. There has been quite a bit of donations to get this going.

The football field is also about half way to their goal for turf. Tough to have two major projects going, but both needed.

Which All Star game festivities would be held at Meinken??

Where will Holmes and Holy Cross being playing home games this coming season?

The person I spoke with said most likely back field at Cappel. That will make Meinken look like GABP!! Seen some knothole games there and rough does not describe it. Not sure what jv/frosh will do. Maybe one of the softball fields.

I played knothole ball at Meinken back in the 1970's when it was 3 fields.

When multiple games were being played simultaneously, the outfielders from different games were so close to each other, standing back to back, that they could practically talk to one another.

Had my first home run there, but only because the ball rolled a country mile after getting past the outfielder.

Kenny Shields used to run his summer week long baseball clinics there too. Great memories. Always learned a lot from Kenny.

I never hear anyone mention this, but it's not at all going to be cool if one of those giant gasoline tanks were to ever blow while a game was in progress. I Have pondered this ever since I was a kid.

I guess that if it ever did it would incinerate more than just those in close proximity. I assume that the damage would be far reaching.

Not sure. Guessing here. Maybe a dedication with some current and former big leaguers there. Some ceremonial games with local old timers things like that.

Not saying that's not going to happen, but I don't get why they'd do that at Meinken. The Reds Urban Youth Academy just opened this past summer with 3 High School fields (2 with grass infield and 1 turf) and a 1 softball field. Seen them first hand, and both the facility and fields are VERY nice.

My son has played both HS and Fall Ball games at Meinken. Definitely could use a makeover, whatever the reason!

• 1 month later...