Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Seahawks 26 Broncos 20 OT

Featured Replies

If it were basketball and it was the same players on both offense and defense then maybe I'd agree with you. But have this coin flip and in most cases (about 60 percent of OT games have been won by the team winning the toss in the last 20 years) we're instantly taking half of each team out of the game. What's the point of that?

 

Yeah but that was before they changed the rule that a field goal on the first drive doesn't win it anymore. Which I thought was a good addition to the OT rules.

  • Replies 42
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The thought of games ending in ties is WAYYYY worse than overtime. And it isn't close.

 

Might as well just play futbol.

  • Author
Yeah but that was before they changed the rule that a field goal on the first drive doesn't win it anymore. Which I thought was a good addition to the OT rules.

 

I'd like to see the numbers since they moved up the kickoff too. I'd imagine that over the long term the more distant starting field position will change the number of teams that win it on the first possession of OT.

So, it was fair to give Seattle an extra opportunity? I don't follow the logic. I'd have said the same thing had Seattle lost the toss.

 

Neither team deserved an extra opportunity, however we (Americans) can't stand the thought of a game ending in a tie so we have to have OT. In a sport like football that OT doesn't need to drag on forever. It needs to end as quickly as possible for health reasons. The NFL has decided sudden death is the best way. If you are going to have OT then I happen to agree. Both teams had 60 mins to win the game and couldn't do it. Now regarding the coin flip deciding it garbage...both teams still have every chance to win it. Denver gets a stop or holds to the a FG they have their chance. They didn't so here we are.

Neither team deserved an extra opportunity, however we (Americans) can't stand the thought of a game ending in a tie so we have to have OT. In a sport like football that OT doesn't need to drag on forever. It needs to end as quickly as possible for health reasons. The NFL has decided sudden death is the best way. If you are going to have OT then I happen to agree. Both teams had 60 mins to win the game and couldn't do it. Now regarding the coin flip deciding it garbage...both teams still have every chance to win it. Denver gets a stop or holds to the a FG they have their chance. They didn't so here we are.

 

Exactly! You never hear a player complain because they know the rules going in and they don't want the games to last forever. For the first 30 years of overtime, 52% of the winners of the coin toss won the game. In the last 20 years, it's 60%, which is barely an advantage.

You have a better than average chance of getting a stop. Here's a stat I'd like to see, what percentage of teams with a better defense win in overtime? Lose the toss, touchback, 3 and out, punt, you have the ball on the 40, get 25 yards, kick a field goal.

 

Any argument in favor of deciding games by a coin flip is foolishness.

 

Says the guy who wants to eliminate FTs in basketball....

 

Team Randy. :D

  • Author
Says the guy who wants to eliminate FTs in basketball....

 

Team Randy. :D

 

:lol2:

 

Fair enough.

 

And I was just throwing something out there in that thread. I'm full of all kinds of ideas... some are better than others...

Just make overtime a field goal contest.Keep moving it back until someone misses and the other person makes it. A quick and easy ending to the game lol.

That dynasty talk is looking a little premature after the past two weeks. Still, Seattle should make the SB.

That dynasty talk is looking a little premature after the past two weeks. Still, Seattle should make the SB.

 

Agreed. I look for the SB to be the Seahawks vs. either the Bengals, Chargers (I think they win the AFC West), or Patriots. Whichever of those 3 teams gets home-field advantage will be the AFC rep IMO.

Agreed. I look for the SB to be the Seahawks vs. either the Bengals, Chargers (I think they win the AFC West), or Patriots. Whichever of those 3 teams gets home-field advantage will be the AFC rep IMO.

 

Sometimes you can't always take the favorites to win the division, but anything special that makes you choose the Chargers over the Broncos?

Sometimes you can't always take the favorites to win the division, but anything special that makes you choose the Chargers over the Broncos?

 

I just think the schedule sets up favorably for them. If they can split the regular season meetings with Denver, I'd imagine they win the division. They've looked every bit as good as Denver through 3 weeks IMO.

Let me say this and I mean it...

 

I absolutely hate the Seattle Seahawks. They are my least favorite team in all of professional sports.

 

I feel the same way about the 49ers. That's the fun of the rivalry.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.