Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The key to Ray Rice's appeal/defense is proving the NFL and the Ravens...

Featured Replies

Ray Rice should have went to jail and didn't. Just want to get that out of the way. Ray rice should have been more severely punished by the NFL earlier. Just want that out of the way.

Now, Ray Rice should sue the pants off the NFL for this new change of suspension and his loss of income! Why? Because NOTHING has changed! The crime was investigated and punished already. The NFL through stupidity or negligence or arrogance did what they did. The only thing different is that we now see the tape. What happened on the tape is exactly what I thought happened. It is old news. Ray Rice hasn't knocked her out again that we know of.

  • Replies 48
  • Views 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me, the most sickening part of the whole deal is the fact that his fiancé Janay was initially arrested and charged with simple assault. Solid police work to the officer who hauled her in after she'd been knocked out.

 

I feel awful for her in this whole thing.

To me, the most sickening part of the whole deal is the fact that his fiancé Janay was initially arrested and charged with simple assault. Solid police work to the officer who hauled her in after she'd been knocked out.

 

I feel awful for her in this whole thing.

 

In their defense, her and Rice as well as witnesses claimed that the two were scuffling or something, which from my understanding of NJ this is an automatic charge for both parties. They dropped the charge against her and elevated Rice's to a felony after watching the tape.

 

I don't think that's a good way to handle domestic violence, but from what I understand, it was "by the book."

For me, the video made a difference. I thought the punishment was too light to begin with but had believed there was an argument, the girl attacked him (think JayZ) and he slapped her. After seeing the actual footage, we know that none of that is true.

 

What a mess. If the NFL knew and saw that video, it's going to be a fun couple of days.

 

That's interesting. I always believed he knocked her out before I saw the video.

Not only did he knock her out, he showed absolutely no concern towards her as she lay there on the floor and pretty much dragged her body around like a rag doll to get her off the elevator. Then propped her up against the door when the security guard came over so if the doors closed, they were going to close on her head.

 

Ray Rice is a pile of flaming :poop:

  • Author
Not only did he knock her out, he showed absolutely no concern towards her as she lay there on the floor and pretty much dragged her body around like a rag doll to get her off the elevator. Then propped her up against the door when the security guard came over so if the doors closed, they were going to close on her head.

 

Ray Rice is a pile of flaming :poop:

 

Funny you mention that. My girl watched the video and her impression was that this wasn't Rice's first rodeo based on his actions immediately after hitting her. In other words, he didn't jump down and come to her aid right away, it was more like here we go again, I gotta clean this mess up.

Funny you mention that. My girl watched the video and her impression was that this wasn't Rice's first rodeo based on his actions immediately after hitting her. In other words, he didn't jump down and come to her aid right away, it was more like here we go again, I gotta clean this mess up.

 

Exactly. This wasn't a first for either of them, if you ask me.

I heard Bill Cunningham talking with former prosecutor Mike Allen. They both said this would not have been a felony in Hamilton County and that Hamilton County is one of the toughest on domestic violence. They said this would be a misdemeanor in Hamilton County. It would not be a diversion case because Hamilton County is tough on domestic violence and has eliminated diversion in DV cases. They seemed to say that diversion is likely in other cities/counties in this type of case.

viewed the second video prior to it being released by TMZ.

 

If Rice can do that, the NFL (and the Ravens to a lesser extent) is up a creek without a paddle. If Rice can't do that, the NFL and the Ravens are going to stick it to him.

 

Agree? Disagree?

 

Disagree. It is going to be whether the NFL knew all of the facts prior to the suspension. If Rice was forthcoming about the situation, then the NFL is in trouble for adding to the punishment. If Rice's retelling of the facts, coupled w/ the fact that his fiance gave her account in front of Rice were contradicted by the footage, then he'll have trouble.

This is what was said by an anonymous ravens player. He was claiming self-defense. Guru, you saying how could they do that after a second video is released, this isn't considered double jeopardy because the NFL is a private entity. At least from my understanding.

 

Correct, that is only for criminal law anyway. Another possible issue would be if there was a contract of some sort signed detailing the punishment and both sides agreeing to it.

....

 

Without question the NFL bowed to public out-cry once we all SAW the brutal nature of the elevator punch, and probably equally egregious, the way he nudged her with his foot as if she was just asleep. Crass.

 

The NFL should have done the right thing initially, they didn't, and now they look as knee-jerk as possible. NO ONE looks good coming out of this, certainly not Ray Rice, not the Ravens that fall somewhere between moronic and suppressing evidence, and certainly not Mr. Goodell and the NFL.

 

As Mike Greenberg said this morning, and I agree with wholeheartedly, we are vilifying Ray Rice for this disgusting act, but ignoring the other athletes with numerous domestic violence ARRESTS (like Mayweather) because we didn't SEE it happen. It is shocking and disgusting, and while we as a society shake our heads in disapproval when we HEAR about a Phillies pitcher punching his wife in the face, we call for a life sentence when we SEE it happen.

 

I find Ray Rice to be no more deplorable today than the day I heard about it, and while I think a 2 game ban was ludicrous, I'm not so sure they didn't over-shoot the mark with yesterday's actions. Again, why should this clown be treated WAY WORSE than the other clowns who have been charged with hitting women? Because he did it in front of a camera? They've gone down a slippery slope on this one and it is going to be a train-wreck as it unfolds.

 

Let's go beyond the NFL's punishment in this particular case. Every punishment is now able to be lengthened at the Commissioner's beckon call. Every single one. That is the precedent being set. You and I will agree on something, you'll take it b/c it seems fair. Now, I'm going to bury you bc I got new evidence that only supports what we've already discussed.

But the players still have a grievance process. Just be careful of that binding arbitration!

In their defense, her and Rice as well as witnesses claimed that the two were scuffling or something, which from my understanding of NJ this is an automatic charge for both parties. They dropped the charge against her and elevated Rice's to a felony after watching the tape.

 

I don't think that's a good way to handle domestic violence, but from what I understand, it was "by the book."

 

Do you have a link to the report or anything where that's reported like that? Not saying you are wrong, just that I hadn't seen it reported like that in a way that was anything other than speculation. Apologies if it's already been posted here or whatever, I just hadn't seen one that I could recall.

Do you have a link to the report or anything where that's reported like that? Not saying you are wrong, just that I hadn't seen it reported like that in a way that was anything other than speculation. Apologies if it's already been posted here or whatever, I just hadn't seen one that I could recall.

 

I can't find where I had read that about NJ, so I'm likely wrong there, but for some reason I was thinking that there was an "automatic" charge for all parties in DV cases if they hit the other person. These articles quote the police report and grand jury findings. It says the police looked at the surveillance tape and charged both with simple-assault and a grand jury later amended the charges. Reading over them again I think you're right that they got it wrong initially since it says they looked at the tapes.

 

Video shows Ray Rice's fiancee out cold after incident | Ravens - WBAL Home

 

Ray Rice indicted on aggravated assault charge in New Jersey - Baltimore Sun

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.