Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Dixie 54 Holmes 50

Featured Replies

I think that was Holmes downfall as well...not having that one senior leader to step up and take control like Lexie and Ryan Mitchell did for the dawgs last year. Covcath, Highlands, and Dixie all have great senior leadership which why they are still playing.

 

"Hard Work Will Beat Out Talent Anyday." Holmes has better talent than Dixie but just didnt work hard enough to overcome the adversity they faced at the end of the game and Dixie did.

 

Dixie's basketball t-shirts for this year explain this game about as perfect as you can and fballstud hit it almost right on the head. Dixie's shirt reads "Hard-Work beats Talent when Talent doesn't work hard.

:thumb: Seems to fit perfectly I think.

  • Replies 99
  • Views 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off let me congratulate dixieon the victory...i was one of the ones predicting holmes walking all over them..

 

As far as Holmes being better without jefferson? you have got to be kidding me....that technical should have never been called and as everyone knows this kid plays emotional. Whenever Holmes doesnt have jefferson in, this is when holmes really struggles because they dont have that true point gaurd to bring the ball up. So that comment needs to be stopped right there... one minute you all are praising the kid and the next your bashing him...he is one of the best pg in the region...get over it and quit downing him...he is a 16 year old kid...he is going to make mistakes so learn to live with it and not bash him when something happens...

 

But as far as the game, NAte edmondson i feel carried the team tonight he is who sparked the bulldogs rally when down 12. BTW why didnt JoSh Nelson play tonight? i would much rather see him in than Bj Avery...Bj had several costly turnovers tonight and bad shots...but so did DJ and several other bulldogs so i guess it doesnt matter...well good luck to dixie and they will be who im rooting for now to win this.

 

DAWGS, keep your heads up and dont let this be another distraction...you all return next year and there is no doubt who will be taking that 9th region title home next year as long as you STAY FOCUSED...overcome all of the adversity and prove all of your doubters wrong

 

 

Just a comment on the "he is only 16" and "everyone knows this kid plays emotional". Eric Sawyer from Beechwood plays hard and emotional. In the Beechwood/Holmes games in the District, Eric fouled out within the first minute of the second half. Should ee have been allowed to play "emotional"? The answer is a resounding "NO!". If a foul has been committed, a foul should be called. If Eric remains in that games along with the other three seniors that fouled out, Beechwood would have beat Holmes and Holmes would have not even made it to the regionals. No Holmes player fouled out that game - interesting fact wouldn't you say????? If you are a fan of Jefferson you would do him right to make sure he is accountable for his mistakes on and off the basketball court. He deserves that from any adult.

Holmes:

 

6-14 from the line.

19 turnovers.

 

Yowww!

Holmes does not commit unforced turnovers. Dixie's defense caused a lot of problems for the Bulldogs.

 

A highlight of the game was Groneman uncharacteristically missing 2 free throws, attacking the basket to get his own rebound, stealing it from a Holmes player (Jefferson I think) who had cleared the boards, and putting in the uncontested layup to atone for the missed free throws.

 

Nick is quick... no doubt about it.

B-ball-fan, you seem to be attacking Coach Henley in your diatribe. Unless you've been in the huddle and/or at practices, I'm going to assume that you have no basis for your assumptions.

 

I've watched some talented Dixie teams shoot themselves out of potential victories by jacking up 3s rather than running an offense. Should I assume that was "the plan" by Coach C? Should I attack him for not "having a plan"?

 

Or, or should I assume that he's coaching excitable kids who don't always use the best judgment DESPITE his best intentions?

 

Take it easy on Coach Henley. If you're wanting people to vote, your guys loses. Henley is good.

 

Being a neutral observer of the 9th Region, I never exactly have a favorite team. It pretty much changes from year to year depending on who floats by boat with a decent chemistry. Typically, however, I have pulled for the Bulldogs just about every year that I can remember. I'm always excited about the talent they tend to have year in and year out and always wish them the best. More than not though they disappoint. Sure, they can't win it every year, but with the way they execute their game, I've come to the conclusion that they very rarely ever will. I'm pretty much tired of putting my hopes in them. They just don't play smart basketball. Teams with lesser talent can get so much more accomplished when they work hard at playing smart and composed. I'm sure Henley is a nice guy and has pressures I can't begin to know about but year after year I never see much out the the Bulldogs that resembles consistency, dicipline, or dividends reaped from their assets. With all of their talent, their style of play tends to be quite pedestrian. In the hands of different guidence all that talent could equal so much more. It was apparent from the beginning of the Holmes/Dixie game which team came to play smart basketball. Smart doesn't alway win, but I'll take my chances with smart over no apparent plan with tons of talent any day. I don't even know much about Dixie's coach, but it is obvious that he has drilled his team on the art of good passing and patiently waiting for a higher percentage shot. Their style of snappy focused play made the Bulldogs look befuddled. When have you ever really seen the Bulldogs execute a good half court offense? If they're not having an on night with their run and gun open court style of play then they're done. Even when Dixie looked tired when they went on automatic towards the end of the game with their diciplined play that they could execute even in their sleep, the Bulldogs looked like they were shooting a game of darts with no dartboard in sight. Maybe Henley is the most knowledgable coach in the world. Maybe he pushes smart basketball as hard as he can, but one thing is obvious and I don't know who's to blame, but it appears to me that it always falls on deaf ears. I don't know the solution for Holmes, but I'd love some year to see all the talent that Holmes has married to smart basketball and then I think you have yourself one heck of a TEAM. Don't know if that'll ever happen but in the meantime, I'm done with the Bulldogs and am tired of waiting for them to come around.

Just a comment on the "he is only 16" and "everyone knows this kid plays emotional". Eric Sawyer from Beechwood plays hard and emotional. In the Beechwood/Holmes games in the District, Eric fouled out within the first minute of the second half. Should ee have been allowed to play "emotional"? The answer is a resounding "NO!". If a foul has been committed, a foul should be called. If Eric remains in that games along with the other three seniors that fouled out, Beechwood would have beat Holmes and Holmes would have not even made it to the regionals. No Holmes player fouled out that game - interesting fact wouldn't you say????? If you are a fan of Jefferson you would do him right to make sure he is accountable for his mistakes on and off the basketball court. He deserves that from any adult.

 

I agree whole heartedly about a foul being called...but to say if eric stays in the game they win is an overstatement...holmes was up 14 at the break i believe...they werent winning with him...also none of the bulldogs fouled out because they were obviously playing smarter defense and moving their feet...actually in the second half beechwood had LESS fouls than holmes so dont try to say if these players dont foul out, then beechwood wins, because even when they were all in, holmes was still up by 10...holmes caused them to foul, thats why they fouled out...so pleas stop right there with that comment...i respect your opinion and your entitled to it but i cant agree with a statement like that sorry

Being a neutral observer of the 9th Region, I never exactly have a favorite team. It pretty much changes from year to year depending on who floats by boat with a decent chemistry. Typically, however, I have pulled for the Bulldogs just about every year that I can remember. I'm always excited about the talent they tend to have year in and year out and always wish them the best. More than not though they disappoint. Sure, they can't win it every year, but with the way they execute their game, I've come to the conclusion that they very rarely ever will. I'm pretty much tired of putting my hopes in them. They just don't play smart basketball. Teams with lesser talent can get so much more accomplished when they work hard at playing smart and composed. I'm sure Henley is a nice guy and has pressures I can't begin to know about but year after year I never see much out the the Bulldogs that resembles consistency, dicipline, or dividends reaped from their assets. With all of their talent, their style of play tends to be quite pedestrian. In the hands of different guidence all that talent could equal so much more. It was apparent from the beginning of the Holmes/Dixie game which team came to play smart basketball. Smart doesn't alway win, but I'll take my chances with smart over no apparent plan with tons of talent any day. I don't even know much about Dixie's coach, but it is obvious that he has drilled his team on the art of good passing and patiently waiting for a higher percentage shot. Their style of snappy focused play made the Bulldogs look befuddled. When have you ever really seen the Bulldogs execute a good half court offense? If they're not having an on night with their run and gun open court style of play then they're done. Even when Dixie looked tired when they went on automatic towards the end of the game with their diciplined play that they could execute even in their sleep, the Bulldogs looked like they were shooting a game of darts with no dartboard in sight. Maybe Henley is the most knowledgable coach in the world. Maybe he pushes smart basketball as hard as he can, but one thing is obvious and I don't know who's to blame, but it appears to me that it always falls on deaf ears. I don't know the solution for Holmes, but I'd love some year to see all the talent that Holmes has married to smart basketball and then I think you have yourself one heck of a TEAM. Don't know if that'll ever happen but in the meantime, I'm done with the Bulldogs and am tired of waiting for them to come around.

 

Coach Henley does all he can do with these guys. Sometimes the players just take over themselves though and thats when henley takes them out. Henley knows these guys can score at will but still tries to instill an offensive TEAM mindset...you cant fault the coach for something a player does (not always). I definetly see where your coming from though and agree...I was very disappointed in the bulldogs this year at times but when you have so much talent on one team your gonna experience these problems. Too many egos and scorers. They are the best of friends trust me but at times they try to look out for themselves rather than their teammates.

 

You might call me crazy for saying this, but covcath has nowhere near the talent of holmes...nor does any other team in the region. But the reason covcath is so good is they all make one another better in a special way from tim driving and kicking to tj or bo, or noll and young setting screens...they have a TEAM mindset. They work together and are disciplined. Holmes at times when working together look unstoppable, if only they could do this all the time, everyone could truly see how good this team really can be with or without rice. This group will be just fine. Hopefully this will be a lesson learned that if they want to be as good as they are, they need to work together better and get that old TEAM mindset like they had at the beginning of the year when they beat both highlands and covcath because thats the real bulldogs i know and love to see play.

 

DAWGS, keep your heads up and dont let this be another distraction...you all return next year and there is no doubt who will be taking that 9th region title home next year as long as you STAY FOCUSED...overcome all of the adversity and prove all of your doubters wrong

 

:rolleyes:

 

 

 

I totally disagree with you on Holmes during anything next season except what they shown here. This team lacks good coaching and strong disciplinary actions, for their individual play and selfishness. It destorys this team each and every year. Yes, every once in a while, they MAY find an acorn and win the regional, but every once. Untill they recruit a coach who is not going to put up with those attitudes, Holmes may as well not even have a boys basketball team. Plenty of athletes, LARGER ATTITUDES PROBLEMS. Holmes should post a sign Boys basketball tryouts........ABSOULTELY NO ATTITUDES WILL BE TOLERATED PERIOD.....NOT EVEN YOURS....STAR PLAYER. I would not have the job for 85,000 dollars ,but for one good old fashion butt whippin, I would do it for free. Fire away LABS,I know I touched a sore spot. Go Hard.

:rolleyes:

 

 

 

I totally disagree with you on Holmes during anything next season except what they shown here. This team lacks good coaching and strong disciplinary actions, for their individual play and selfishness that destorys this team each and every year. Yes, every once in a while, they MAY find an acorn and win the regional, but every once. Untill they recruit a coach who is not going to put up with those attitudes, Holmes may as well not even have a boys basketball team. Plenty of athletes, LARGER ATTITUDES PROBLEMS. Holmes should post a sign Boys basketball tryouts........ABSOULTELY NO ATTITUDES WILL BE TOLERATED PERIOD.....NOT EVEN YOURS....STAR PLAYER. I would not have the job for 70,000 dollars ,but for one good old fashion butt whipped I would do it for free. Fire away LABS,I know I touched a sore spot.

 

You have got to be kidding me! Holmes coach doesnt discipline them?! Why do you think Duran and Greg sat out some of the games they did? Trust me, they weren't sick... It was because they had done something wrong and thats his way of disciplining them. You have no clue how Henley runs that program down there so don't talk about the coach when his players dont reflect the coaching mentality that you have no clue about. You dont sit through practices or see them so you have no idea.

 

And when you dont have a senior leader out there it is much tougher. These guys will all be a year older and more mature next year. We ALL know at times they dont play together and thats gonna happen when you have so much talent on one team...everyone wants to try to be the star. But thats how these guys play together and always have..you have to get used to it. Whne they were winning last year doing the same thing nobody was saying anything so why say something now because they lose one or two games? Im sure this time next year you'll be eatng crow when we're talking about if anybody can stop Holmes in the regional tournament but guess we'll have to wait until then to prove you wrong.

But thats how these guys play together and always have..you have to get used to it.

 

 

That's my point, I don't have to get used to it and would not. They have to get used to my rules, my team play and my style of play. Not me theirs..... Coaching by your own admittance.

  • Author
Why do you think Duran and Greg sat out some of the games they did? Trust me, they weren't sick... It was because they had done something wrong and thats his way of disciplining them.

 

I can't comment about Greg, but I can about Duran. According to my very well informed source, Duran did not sit because of a coaching or administrative decision. While it's not my place to go in to the exact reasons, I can tell you it wasn't because of anyone at the school.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.