Pirates/Diamondback HBP Retaliation Fiasco

Everyone aware of this?

Last week during the Pirates/Diamondbacks series, the Pirates were up 5 runs in the 9th and their reliever came up and in on Goldschmidt. Hit him in the hand, broken hand, out for the rest of the season.

The next night, in a game that the Pirates were up big again, the Dbacks retaliated and nailed McCutchen in the back in the 9th. Next day McCutchen gets hurt and the medical staff say it's due to the HBP the day before.

Lots of people really getting on Arizona for it. Not a soul saying a word about Pittsburgh knocking Goldschmidt out for the year.

Who's side you on? Was the retaliation warranted?

I don't mind the Dbacks throwing at McCutchen. While I don't think the Pirate guy intentionally hit Goldy, Pittsburgh leads the majors in hit batters by a huge margin. If you're gonna have a policy of pitching inside and getting guys off the plate, it's gonna result in batters getting hit. Teams are only gonna put up with that for so long.

Disregard or carelessness isn't a good enough excuse in my book and if you keep hitting batters, eventually they're gonna say enough is enough, even if the one that hit Goldy was 'unintentional'.

Same thing happened with Dodgers and Cards earlier this year. Cards pitchers had hit quite a few Dodger batters going back to last year (including knocking Ramirez out of the NLCS) and even though the Dodgers would acknowledge it wasn't intentional, they still drilled Holliday.

That was the correct call by the Dodgers there too, IMO.

I've read more than one piece about the D-Backs that suggest your belief is wrong. Not too many folks have a high opinion of Gibson and his "gritty" ways.

No doubt Gibson is hard nosed, but you'll never convince me that he wanted McCutchen hurt.

Gibsons intention was to hit McCutcheon, most likely not to injure him long term. The pitch to Goldschmidt was unintentional that turned out badly, same as the one to McCutcheon.

Gibson vs. Hurdle in a MMA bout at 2nd base to settle the whole thing. My money's on Hurdle. Gibson has that bad whatever it was that made him limp around the bases.

Gibsons intention was to hit McCutcheon, most likely not to injure him long term. The pitch to Goldschmidt was unintentional that turned out badly, same as the one to McCutcheon.

Gibson vs. Hurdle in a MMA bout at 2nd base to settle the whole thing. My money's on Hurdle. Gibson has that bad whatever it was that made him limp around the bases.

Gibson would win that battle in about 30 seconds. Hurdle's blood pressure has to be around 200/140 already. No way he can hang with Gibson.