August 7, 201412 yr I guess the question is, with a 5 run lead in the 9th inning, is it necessary to throw fastballs up and in? It's always necessary to go up and in. I doubt he meant to go that far in, though.
August 7, 201412 yr Author It's always necessary to go up and in. I doubt he meant to go that far in, though. Right, but if it happens in that situation, you have to expect retaliation. Sure it's unfortunate McCutchen got hurt, but it's not like they went at his knees or head-hunting. They did exactly what the unwritten rules say. They dotted him square between the numbers.
August 7, 201412 yr Right, but if it happens in that situation, you have to expect retaliation. Sure it's unfortunate McCutchen got hurt, but it's not like they went at his knees or head-hunting. They did exactly what the unwritten rules say. They dotted him square between the numbers. Here's where I have a problem with HBP wars. Too many guys focus on the result of the HBP and not the intent. Yes, it's unfortunate that Goldschmidt was hurt on a HBP but unless there was some bad blood we aren't aware of it doesn't seem like the intent was there. If the intent is there, snipe away.
August 7, 201412 yr Trying to hit a guy is one thing... Trying to injure a guy is something completely different. I don't believe for one second that the D'Backs tried to injure McCutchen. I don't know how you can say they tried to hurt McCutchen. They hit him in the back. I have no problem with the back or hip. The head...completely different.
August 7, 201412 yr It's always necessary to go up and in. I doubt he meant to go that far in, though. That's fine if that is your mind set, just never complain if your favorite player from your favorite team takes one off the melon. My biggest complaint with bean balls is that if starters(NL) want to get into that, ok then, they have to come to the plate. Closers never have to bat. Different story when you go 103 at a man's head, then have to bat the next inning
August 7, 201412 yr That's fine if that is your mind set, just never complain if your favorite player from your favorite team takes one off the melon. My biggest complaint with bean balls is that if starters(NL) want to get into that, ok then, they have to come to the plate. Closers never have to bat. Different story when you go 103 at a man's head, then have to bat the next inning Up and in is not at someone's head. It's up and in.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.