Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Satanic temple seeks Hobby-Lobby-style exemption from anti-abortion laws

Featured Replies

My guess would be because of the lasting health implications it can have down the road.

 

Isn't it pretty much mandated for any "surgical procedure" that a doctor or someone provides the patient with all pertinent information about the side-effects, lasting impact, etc. that go along with the procedure?

 

 

Such as?

  • Replies 159
  • Views 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I said I liked the comment.

 

Ask yourself this question everyone, why is a woman mandated to do anything if she chooses to have an abortion? And your focus has to be on mandated.

 

I think of the mandated Sonogram law in a lot of states.

 

It's obviously to make it harder for the abortion to happen.

I said I liked the comment.

 

Ask yourself this question everyone, why is a woman mandated to do anything if she chooses to have an abortion? And your focus has to be on mandated.

No idea. However, I'd imagine in today's litigious society that informed consent is different for every procedure. For instance, if I carve a wisdom tooth out of your head, I have to have you watch a post op video, or do it verbally. Otherwise I'm negligent in the eyes of the law. You can decline to watch it if you sign saying you decline. I'm not sure how this is different.

Such as?

 

No idea. However, I've had enough medical procedures done that I know they go over all the potential implications (both good and bad) before proceeding with any procedure.

It's called standard of care. I don't make those rules, but they are there for certain procedures. If you're gonna have knee replacement, and your ortho didn't go over the risks, is he negligent? Would an attorney, or a jury of your peers, find him so if you were poorly informed and something went awry?

Another thought...

Specifically, the Satanic Temple wants women to be exempt from having to view legally mandated "informational" materials — which it calls "biased" and "medically invalid" — prior to having an abortion.

 

How are they forcing them to view anything, is there a test?

 

Are they holding a gun to their head and making them read it out loud so they know the material has been read?

 

If the material is medically valid, then I have no problem with it being given...but you can't force anyone to read or even understand it.

I get the standard of care stuff, I think we need to figure out if the mandates are rooted in politics and/or religion.

Another thought...

 

How are they forcing them to view anything, is there a test?

 

Are they holding a gun to their head and making them read it out loud so they know the material has been read?

 

If the material is medically valid, then I have no problem with it being given...but you can't force anyone to read or even understand it.

 

I think the larger issue is many of the powers that be are anti-abortion so they try to make it as difficult as possible for a woman to have an abortion and that is none of their business.

I think the larger issue is many of the powers that be are anti-abortion so they try to make it as difficult as possible for a woman to have an abortion and that is none of their business.

I don't think they are making it difficult, if they wanted to do that they would reverse Roe V Wade. Has there been any rulings curtailing a woman's ability to have an abortion? Or just rulings on who will or won't pay for it.

I get the standard of care stuff, I think we need to figure out if the mandates are rooted in politics and/or religion.

 

But if they exist for every procedure, which I'm pretty sure they do, how can we claim their rooted in politics or religion?

I think the larger issue is many of the powers that be are anti-abortion so they try to make it as difficult as possible for a woman to have an abortion and that is none of their business.

 

Doesn't that depend? I mean if it's a privately-held hospital don't they have the right to decide what the process is to having any type of procedure done there?

I'm against abortion in all but the most extreme cases, but I'm in no rush to change the law and stop them either.

 

I am 100% against late term and partial birth abortions in almost every case.

I get the standard of care stuff, I think we need to figure out if the mandates are rooted in politics and/or religion.
That was my thinking entirely. Until I know what the mandated material is, I can't form an opinion on whether or not I think it is justified.
But if they exist for every procedure, which I'm pretty sure they do, how can we claim their rooted in politics or religion?

 

Figuring it out is the million dollar question.

 

I don't have all of the answers, I am saying religion is a big issue in this country that has worked its way into several areas it has no business and we are just getting to a point where there is going to be a lot of blow back.

 

Religious people think this is righteous, non-religious people find it appalling, condescending, unethical, and on and on.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.