Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Highlands 13 Newport 0 5 innings

Featured Replies

Highlands vs Bellevue tomorrow for 36th District Championship..

I believe sophomore Ricky Raisor threw a no hitter in his varsity debut for Highlands.

I believe sophomore Ricky Raisor threw a no hitter in his varsity debut for Highlands.

 

Correct. Worked ahead. Was 0-2 on the 1st 3 batters of the game and struck out 9 of the 15 outs. 1 BB (on a 3-2 pitch) away from a perfect game.

 

Birds hit and converted those hits into runs. SR Allen was either 2-3 or 3-3 w/ 3 runs scored and 2 RBI.

 

Nice job by Coach Baioni to speed the game up and get it completed before the rain and lightning set in. Birds did not throw the ball around after outs after the 1st inning. Kept things moving. Minimal warmup pitches in the top of the 5th.

 

Should be interesting tomorrow. Expect SR Cochran to start tomorrow. Would not be surprised to see JR Martin and JR Bunning pitch an inning or 2 to stay sharp. I know many of these players, and the Seniors in particular, want to win this to make 3 straight district championships.

Anyone know who is throwing for the Tigers?

By G. MICHAEL GRAHAM

Fort Thomas Matters Sports Reporter

It was a matter of not only beating the underdog opponents, but the thunderstorms as well.

The top-seeded Highlands baseball and softball teams run-ruled their 36th District semifinal opponents by a combined 29-1 before the showers hit Wednesday. The Bluebirds downed the Newport Wildcats, 13-0 in five innings at Morscher Field before the Ladybirds took care of the Dayton Lady Devils, 16-1 in three innings at Winkler Park.

Highlands (19-17) scored four runs in the first and never looked back. They added three in the second then finished it off in the fourth with six more.

“We’ve tried to take a business-like approach to things,” said Jeremy Baioni, Highlands head baseball coach. “We tell the guys to go out and do what we’re supposed to do and not worry about who we’re playing. We put the ball in play and things worked out.”

Sophomore pitcher Ricky Raisor threw a no-hitter in his varsity pitching debut. He struck out nine. Raisor helped the Bluebird junior varsity team to the 9th Region crown last week.

“The mindset going out there was to help the team out, do what I can to pump in strikes and believe in our team,” Raisor said. “That’s what I did. I got the job done.”

The Bluebirds pounded out nine hits. Evan Allen went 2-for-3 with a double, three runs scored and two runs batted in. Teammate Jake Whitford went 2-for-4 with a run batted in and run scored. Kenny Ball had two runs batted in and Todd Ramey scored three times. Ball and Luke Hennigan had doubles.

The Bluebirds committed no erros behind Raisor and stole 10 bases. Brady Murray, Ball and Ramey stole two each.

Highlands returns to Morcher Field in search of its third straight district championship. The Bluebirds take on Bellevue (15-16) at 4:30 p.m.

The Ladybirds (22-11) recorded 16 hits and just two errors to two hits and three errors for the hosts. Highlands has hit the ball well in recent weeks.

Highlands scored four in the first before adding five in the second and seven in the third to force the run-ruling. The Ladybirds have won 14 in a row.

“Dayton is a scrappy team,” said Rob Coffey, Highlands head softball coach. “They come and get their hacks. They’re a very nice up and coming team so by no means did we come in here taking anything for granted. I was glad the girls came out, executed and did some of the things we talked about.”

Brennah Dutcher led Highlands going 3-for-3 with a double, five runs batted in and two runs scored. Teammate Whitney Quillen followed going 3-for-3 with a triple, run batted in and run scored. Shelby Graybill and Kendall Turner had two hits with Rachel Gabbard doubling and Payton Leighty tripling as well. Josie Daley added two runs batted in.

“I got here last year, but I knew they were really down hitting,” Dutcher said. “Now that we’re up, it just brings everyone up. We feel like a force (hitting the ball).”

Highlands also recorded two stolen bases. Taylor Baioni and Haley Coffey had them. Coffey also scored two runs and Ashley Grosser touched home plate three times.

Eighth-grader Miranda Mason recorded the win on the mound. She has taken over the pitching duties because sophomore Bailey Spencer is out for the postseason.

“I’m just approaching it like I would any other game,” Mason said. “It’s more important. I listened to music to pump up on the way here and just got down to business.”

The Ladybirds take on Newport Central Catholic (18-9) for the district championship Thursday back at Winkler Park. Game time is 6 p.m.

 

Fort Thomas Sports: Highlands baseball, softball best opponents, weather

Newport has really struggled. Just by whats been reported on here I think thats 4 times they have been no hit.

Newport has really struggled. Just by whats been reported on here I think thats 4 times they have been no hit.

 

Program has reached rock bottom I'd say, such a shame. Used to be one of the better programs in NKY at one time with top quality coaches and players.

I heard the team showed up at 440 for a 5pm game. That's cutting it close.

I believe sophomore Ricky Raisor threw a no hitter in his varsity debut for Highlands.

 

I had heard that he was going to pitch, but some naysayers were wondering why that would happen since he pitched JV all year. Nice job Ricky and I am sure there are more of these to come in the future.

Program has reached rock bottom I'd say, such a shame. Used to be one of the better programs in NKY at one time with top quality coaches and players.

 

I'd imagine the program can make at least somewhat of a bounce back in the future. There is still talent there, but it's getting it out and keeping interest in the program.

I'd imagine the program can make at least somewhat of a bounce back in the future. There is still talent there, but it's getting it out and keeping interest in the program.

Yep, a lot of good athletes at Newport are not playing baseball...for whatever reason... Probably too many reasons to delve into here...

I heard the team showed up at 440 for a 5pm game. That's cutting it close.

 

:no: maybe they took infield before they got there.

:no: maybe they took infield before they got there.

 

Or were down at the Dairy bar. LOL

Yep, a lot of good athletes at Newport are not playing baseball...for whatever reason... Probably too many reasons to delve into here...

 

They have some really good athletes on the Track & Field team. 11 state qualifiers, 2 region champs.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.