Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bengal Draft Grades

Featured Replies

I looked at several of them, mostly a grade of B but with an occasional A or C. However, most of the analysis is really good with the exception of the RB Hill in the 2nd round. Frankly I don't believe most of the authors understand that pick from both a need and talent perspective (leaving possible character issues out of it).

 

In my biased view this draft was B+ to A- territory.

 

Your thoughts? Your grade?

  • Replies 42
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

C...Waited too long to address needs at OL, LB IMO. Drafted a guy that isn't even a remote need in Hill.

 

Loved the Dennard pick though.

  • Author
C...Waited too long to address needs at OL, LB IMO. Drafted a guy that isn't even a remote need in Hill.

 

Loved the Dennard pick though.

 

Would you believe we disagree!?

 

I think the only real need on the OL was center and we addressed it. I believe RB is a need with our new OC wanting to pound the ball. I am hoping the Bengals keep the Law Firm and we run with a three headed monster. At LB, we have a lot of young talent and a couple of those guys were out last year due to injury/paying their debt to society. In my opinion, LB wasn't a big need.

I think all of those grades are fair depending on the perspective. Character of Hill in - rating lower. Character of Hill out - rating higher. It will take a couple years to determine if it is an A. Daugherty was actually just writing about that in today's "The Morning Line" - The Morning Line, 5/13: Welcome back, Crosstown Shootout.

  • Author
I think all of those grades are fair depending on the perspective. Character of Hill in - rating lower. Character of Hill out - rating higher. It will take a couple years to determine if it is an A. Daugherty was actually just writing about that in today's "The Morning Line" - The Morning Line, 5/13: Welcome back, Crosstown Shootout.

 

I hate to be this way but if Hill stays out of trouble moving forward who cares, just win baby.

 

I am basing my grade on talent and need. I think it was a very solid draft by the Bengals.

RBs are a dime a dozen anymore. While I think Hill was probably the best player available, so I'm okay with the pick, there were a lot of solid OL still left, that could've went there, and they still could've got a solid RB in the 3rd or 4th rounds.

 

Whit isn't going to be around forever. They needed to find a guy for his spot, and this draft was insanely deep at the tackle position. Big mistake IMO.

  • Author
RBs are a dime a dozen anymore. While I think Hill was probably the best player available, so I'm okay with the pick, there were a lot of solid OL still left, that could've went there, and they still could've got a solid RB in the 3rd or 4th rounds.

 

Whit isn't going to be around forever. They needed to find a guy for his spot, and this draft was insanely deep at the tackle position. Big mistake IMO.

 

I agree that one of our needs in the the next couple of drafts probably will be at OT.

C...Waited too long to address needs at OL, LB IMO. Drafted a guy that isn't even a remote need in Hill.

 

Loved the Dennard pick though.

 

I think RB is a need. Green-Ellis is fading out and Bernard is not an every down back. While I do think they could have gotten someone else, I still think Hill is a good pick. On a side note, I'm confused as to why the took Mccarron. Other than the fact that he may have been best available, he is the same type of QB that Dalton is, a game manager. Dennard was obviously their best pick though. I'm not even a Bengals fan and I really hope he does well.

RBs are a dime a dozen anymore. While I think Hill was probably the best player available, so I'm okay with the pick, there were a lot of solid OL still left, that could've went there, and they still could've got a solid RB in the 3rd or 4th rounds.

 

Whit isn't going to be around forever. They needed to find a guy for his spot, and this draft was insanely deep at the tackle position. Big mistake IMO.

 

It as been pretty well proven that the teams who traditionally draft best players available and not just a need usually do the best. Eversince the bengals started doing it this way they have done very well in the draft. They use to draft mainly on need and would reach on picks to fill needs and well we all know how poorly they use to draft. My guess is hill was the highest rated guy on their board so they went for him. Yes there were alot of tackles but they might not have had them rated as high as other guys when it came to their pick.

 

So i see your point but the way the bengals approach the draft lately has been very successful so im happy with them keeping to that strategy instead of going against their board to fill a need, which there was not really any glaring needs.

I hate to be this way but if Hill stays out of trouble moving forward who cares, just win baby.

 

I am basing my grade on talent and need. I think it was a very solid draft by the Bengals.

 

I agree. Everybody deserves chances. He has a clean slate entering the NFL. I see it more of a "yellow flag" if anything. I hope he is not Corey D all over again (I mean, the "end of his Bengals career" version of Corey D).

I agree. Everybody deserves chances. He has a clean slate entering the NFL. I see it more of a "yellow flag" if anything. I hope he is not Corey D all over again (I mean, the "end of his Bengals career" version of Corey D).

 

If the Bengals can win then I hope he is like Corey Dillon lol. The whole reason why Dillon acted like he did at the end of his Bengals tenure was because he was one of the best backs in football playing one horrible teams. So I would love it if he is like Dillon because that means we have a great back, and he should be happy too because they should be winning.

I like this draft. But I also think that you can already start pointing at what we need to look at in next years draft... Safety... OLine... Etc.

If the Bengals can win then I hope he is like Corey Dillon lol. The whole reason why Dillon acted like he did at the end of his Bengals tenure was because he was one of the best backs in football playing one horrible teams. So I would love it if he is like Dillon because that means we have a great back, and he should be happy too because they should be winning.

 

I don't respect someone who throws his equipment into the stands, no matter how bad the team was. He might have been good at some point and played with passion, but that attitude and action at his final game as a Bengal disrespected the fans who paid good money to be there.

I like how they traded up for an OL, for only the third time in draft history. Good job on getting Bodine. I also like the idea of an emphasis by Hue Jackson on the run to lessen Dalton passing risk...:thumb:

 

Cheers to Vincent Rey growing into a good ILB. Wait a minute, I forget we have a stalwart starting in ReyMal. Cue offensive coordinators on 3rd and short against the Bengals….RUN at ReyMal. I'm giving this draft a C+ because I'm critical and realize a need which could have been met and wasn't. I'll gladly recant to a B+ later if whomever starts at LB with Burfict can make tackles consistently at the line of scrimmage vs 5+ yards down the field more times than not. If Burfict gets hurt, the proverbial :poop: will hit the fan though.

 

So visualize a Bengal D without Burfict and let that soak in for awhile. They brought in Harrison to help shore things up and he's about as hit and miss as Barney Fife. Let's hope they cut a big check to a free agent LB who isn't too long in the tooth. There's a slim chance that Porter and Joiner are developing and can have an impact but i wouldn't count on it. So I agree with UKMustangFan and will be content to remind folks when HB and I are doing bgp color during the Bengal game how well the LBs are doing aside from Burfict. I'll create the LB equivalent of a WRs YAC. Let's call it yards tackled downfield ( YTD ). Just for the tackling LB.

 

On a sidenote I'm really looking forward to seeing more of:

 

https://www.google.com/search?q=aj+mccarron's+girlfriend&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=z2RyU9aBMcGYyAS5r4LIBQ&ved=0CCgQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=738#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=hwufslIIXE0X_M%253A%3BakfWd2RkCkPTFM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fblacktopxchange.com%252Fwp-content%252Fthemes%252Fmagazine%252Fthemify%252Fimg.php%253Fsrc%253Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fblacktopxchange.com%252Fwp-content%252Fuploads%252F2013%252F12%252Fkatherine-webb-sorts-illustrated-swimsuit-2013-6.jpg%2526w%253D580%2526h%253D300%2526q%253D80%2526a%253Dc%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fblacktopxchange.com%252F2013%252F12%252F02%252Finfatuation-aj-mccarron%252F%3B580%3B300

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.