May 13, 201412 yr I don't respect someone who throws his equipment into the stands, no matter how bad the team was. He might have been good at some point and played with passion, but that attitude and action at his final game as a Bengal disrespected the fans who paid good money to be there. He threw his equipment in the stands giving his equipment to people, not throwing it at them...
May 13, 201412 yr I like how they traded up for an OL, for only the third time in draft history. Good job on getting Bodine. I also like the idea of an emphasis by Hue Jackson on the run to lessen Dalton passing risk...:thumb: Cheers to Vincent Rey growing into a good ILB. Wait a minute, I forget we have a stalwart starting in ReyMal. Cue offensive coordinators on 3rd and short against the Bengals….RUN at ReyMal. I'm giving this draft a C+ because I'm critical and realize a need which could have been met and wasn't. I'll gladly recant to a B+ later if whomever starts at LB with Burfict can make tackles consistently at the line of scrimmage vs 5+ yards down the field more times than not. If Burfict gets hurt, the proverbial :poop: will hit the fan though. So visualize a Bengal D without Burfict and let that soak in for awhile. They brought in Harrison to help shore things up and he's about as hit and miss as Barney Fife. Let's hope they cut a big check to a free agent LB who isn't too long in the tooth. There's a slim chance that Porter and Joiner are developing and can have an impact but i wouldn't count on it. So I agree with UKMustangFan and will be content to remind folks when HB and I are doing bgp color during the Bengal game how well the LBs are doing aside from Burfict. I'll create the LB equivalent of a WRs YAC. Let's call it yards tackled downfield ( YTD ). Just for the tackling LB. On a sidenote I'm really looking forward to seeing more of: https://www.google.com/search?q=aj+mccarron's+girlfriend&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=z2RyU9aBMcGYyAS5r4LIBQ&ved=0CCgQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=738#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=hwufslIIXE0X_M%253A%3BakfWd2RkCkPTFM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fblacktopxchange.com%252Fwp-content%252Fthemes%252Fmagazine%252Fthemify%252Fimg.php%253Fsrc%253Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fblacktopxchange.com%252Fwp-content%252Fuploads%252F2013%252F12%252Fkatherine-webb-sorts-illustrated-swimsuit-2013-6.jpg%2526w%253D580%2526h%253D300%2526q%253D80%2526a%253Dc%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fblacktopxchange.com%252F2013%252F12%252F02%252Finfatuation-aj-mccarron%252F%3B580%3B300 Once again you do realize the Bengals play only two linebackers the majority of the game right? They rarely use their Sam backer, which is why Harrison barely played early in the year. It wasn't until injuries on the d-line for why he played more as the year went on. So no linebacker is and was not a glaring need. Could they have addressed it and tried to draft someone yes. Would that guy they drafted have done any better, and or potentially worst because they don't know the defense yes. Would the Bengals have gone back to their old ways if they did draft a linebacker at a spot, even though there were better players available? How well did those drafts workout for the Bengals? You seem to act like drafting a linebacker automatically means their LB core would have been better. However you have to also know that linebacker probably would have had little chance to play. They would have still started Maguluga in the middle, and Vincent Rey and Lamur would be the first two to fill those spots if Maguluga or Burfict goes down. Hence the reason why it was best to go with best player available with picks, instead of reaching for a backer.
May 13, 201412 yr Once again you do realize the Bengals play only two linebackers the majority of the game right? They rarely use their Sam backer, which is why Harrison barely played early in the year. It wasn't until injuries on the d-line for why he played more as the year went on. So no linebacker is and was not a glaring need. Could they have addressed it and tried to draft someone yes. Would that guy they drafted have done any better, and or potentially worst because they don't know the defense yes. Would the Bengals have gone back to their old ways if they did draft a linebacker at a spot, even though there were better players available? How well did those drafts workout for the Bengals? You seem to act like drafting a linebacker automatically means their LB core would have been better. However you have to also know that linebacker probably would have had little chance to play. They would have still started Maguluga in the middle, and Vincent Rey and Lamur would be the first two to fill those spots if Maguluga or Burfict goes down. Hence the reason why it was best to go with best player available with picks, instead of reaching for a backer. And the LBs they've picked in the later and early rounds in the past….how's that going? :walk: Really future coach. C'mon bud I've read not a glaring need in response to my original post. It was so glaring on the OL front they traded up for only the third time in the history of the draft. As for the LBs there were 2 available who would have made an immediate contribution to compliment Burfict and we took an SEC RB with off field issues. I hope he's great in the NFL and is sincere in proving the critics wrong about his off field behavior. Still doesn't change the fact our LBs outside of Burfict are sub par. Looking forward to sharing YTD stats with you this season!
May 13, 201412 yr He threw his equipment in the stands giving his equipment to people, not throwing it at them... From Jockbio.com: "On the final day of the season, he threw his helmet, shoulder pads and cleats into the stands at Paul Brown Stadium, signifying his Bengal career was over." From the Cincinnati Enquirer, 12/29/2003: "In the end, Corey Dillon tossed his helmet, shoulder pads and jersey into the stands. "I'm looking for a new home," the seven-year Bengals tailback said." ESPN.com: "Bengals RB Corey Dillon threw his helmet, shoulder pads and cleats into the stands as he left the field, then said goodbye to the media. Dillon, who was replaced by Rudi Johnson, expects to be released in the offseason." Do you need more references to what Dillon actually did after that game, or not? It was disrespectful.
May 14, 201412 yr From Jockbio.com: "On the final day of the season, he threw his helmet, shoulder pads and cleats into the stands at Paul Brown Stadium, signifying his Bengal career was over." From the Cincinnati Enquirer, 12/29/2003: "In the end, Corey Dillon tossed his helmet, shoulder pads and jersey into the stands. "I'm looking for a new home," the seven-year Bengals tailback said." ESPN.com: "Bengals RB Corey Dillon threw his helmet, shoulder pads and cleats into the stands as he left the field, then said goodbye to the media. Dillon, who was replaced by Rudi Johnson, expects to be released in the offseason." Do you need more references to what Dillon actually did after that game, or not? It was disrespectful. He didn't toss anything with a disrespectful manner. He gave it to people. He may have tossed his shoes or his gloves, etc, but guys do that every game. H gave his jersey, helmet, shoulder pads,,etc., to fans in the front row. I was there about 3 rows up...
May 15, 201412 yr I will give them a B The only pick that really didn't sit well with me and only because I thought they could of waited to get that player much later in the draft was Will Clark the DE in the 3rd round. Thought with the DE's not being very good in this draft after the first 2 that they could of addressed a safety or another area of concern with the 3rd pick. I believe Clark was the 9th rated DE in the draft.
May 15, 201412 yr Author I will give them a B The only pick that really didn't sit well with me and only because I thought they could of waited to get that player much later in the draft was Will Clark the DE in the 3rd round. Thought with the DE's not being very good in this draft after the first 2 that they could of addressed a safety or another area of concern with the 3rd pick. I believe Clark was the 9th rated DE in the draft. Considering Johnson is gone, Gathers is old, and Hunt is still an unknown I think the Bengals were smart to address it. Hopefully he can play.
May 15, 201412 yr From Jockbio.com: "On the final day of the season, he threw his helmet, shoulder pads and cleats into the stands at Paul Brown Stadium, signifying his Bengal career was over." From the Cincinnati Enquirer, 12/29/2003: "In the end, Corey Dillon tossed his helmet, shoulder pads and jersey into the stands. "I'm looking for a new home," the seven-year Bengals tailback said." ESPN.com: "Bengals RB Corey Dillon threw his helmet, shoulder pads and cleats into the stands as he left the field, then said goodbye to the media. Dillon, who was replaced by Rudi Johnson, expects to be released in the offseason." Do you need more references to what Dillon actually did after that game, or not? It was disrespectful. I stand by what I said considering the fact that I was at the game and saw him throwing the equipment into the stands for people to have, not to throw at people
May 15, 201412 yr And the LBs they've picked in the later and early rounds in the past….how's that going? :walk: Really future coach. C'mon bud I've read not a glaring need in response to my original post. It was so glaring on the OL front they traded up for only the third time in the history of the draft. As for the LBs there were 2 available who would have made an immediate contribution to compliment Burfict and we took an SEC RB with off field issues. I hope he's great in the NFL and is sincere in proving the critics wrong about his off field behavior. Still doesn't change the fact our LBs outside of Burfict are sub par. Looking forward to sharing YTD stats with you this season! What LB's were available that would have made an immediate contribution? Please tell me? Also please tell me how would think make a contribution if they are not even on the field? Even though you may not like Maugulga the coaches apparently do see something in him that they like and why he keeps starting. That showed last year when Vinny Rey filled in for him when he was hurt and played awesome, but as soon as he was healthy he went back to being the starter. The chances of them playing a rookie over him was slim to none. So your immediate contribution thing would be false because you can't contribute if you don't play. Which I already stated how the Sam backer barely plays in the Bengals defense anyways. So based on how the things do things, and probably the coaches knowing they would stick with Maugulga in the middle. What sense would it make to draft a LB who one is no guarantee would be good, and two probably wouldn't play much anyways.
May 15, 201412 yr I stand by what I said considering the fact that I was at the game and saw him throwing the equipment into the stands for people to have, not to throw at people I was at the game too and I will say it was not the proper, professional thing to do. Maybe, just a difference in opinion about the guy. No worries.
May 16, 201412 yr Considering Johnson is gone, Gathers is old, and Hunt is still an unknown I think the Bengals were smart to address it. Hopefully he can play. Are you stalking my twitter time-line? That was exactly my line of thinking, with those examples, when I said I thought they'd take Will Clarke 55 minutes before they drafted him.
May 16, 201412 yr Author Are you stalking my twitter time-line? That was exactly my line of thinking, with those examples, when I said I thought they'd take Will Clarke 55 minutes before they drafted him. I actually came up with those on my own. We can chalk it up to great minds!
May 17, 201412 yr What LB's were available that would have made an immediate contribution? Please tell me? Also please tell me how would think make a contribution if they are not even on the field? Even though you may not like Maugulga the coaches apparently do see something in him that they like and why he keeps starting. That showed last year when Vinny Rey filled in for him when he was hurt and played awesome, but as soon as he was healthy he went back to being the starter. The chances of them playing a rookie over him was slim to none. So your immediate contribution thing would be false because you can't contribute if you don't play. Which I already stated how the Sam backer barely plays in the Bengals defense anyways. So based on how the things do things, and probably the coaches knowing they would stick with Maugulga in the middle. What sense would it make to draft a LB who one is no guarantee would be good, and two probably wouldn't play much anyways. Nice deflection on the OL issue. I tell you what, patronize me on the uniqueness of them identifying and moving on drafting up to obtain an OL ( which to them must of them been a glaring need ) and I'll continue this discussion with you regarding LB. I simply don't have time to walk the path you have taken Hellbird down before in the past which I've witnessed simply turns into :bang head:. You continue to make me chuckle and I will say thank you. Again, really looking forward to YTD stats in the fall.
May 18, 201412 yr Nice deflection on the OL issue. I tell you what, patronize me on the uniqueness of them identifying and moving on drafting up to obtain an OL ( which to them must of them been a glaring need ) and I'll continue this discussion with you regarding LB. I simply don't have time to walk the path you have taken Hellbird down before in the past which I've witnessed simply turns into :bang head:. You continue to make me chuckle and I will say thank you. Again, really looking forward to YTD stats in the fall. Do you even realize what your arguing? You say them moving up to get a guy in THE FOURTH ROUND shows it was a glaring need. I guess we have different opinions then what a glaring need is. If it was a glaring need, then to me that seems something they want to get someone for sure that would be an upgrade, and not wait until the 4th round if it was so glaring as you say. Also what is your point on the YTD stats? Did you see me say anywhere where I disagreed with your assessment of Maguluga and him having many tackles that happen 3 to 4 yards after the guy passes the line of scrimmage? So you're are right it is like banging heads when your argument is not valid to what I have been saying? That is the same path Hellbird took, by acting like things were said that were never said. If I disagreed with your assessment on Maguluga then your YTD would have mattered. However no where did I disagree with that. Once again I guess it comes down to us having a different opinion on what a glaring need is. With the Bengals basically only playing two linebackers, and them having Vincent Rey to back him up and play on passing downs, and then Lamur who they are high on and the guy they drafted last year. Then where is the glaring need as you say at? Could they improve from having Maguluga starting? Yes they can and I agree on that, but was it a glaring need? Nope and I stated why its not. Not to mention drafting a linebacker in the 2nd round doesn't guarntee they would be good and Maguluga is the perfect example of that.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.