Coach Cal to meet with players

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been "Next year..." with Poythress since he got to UK. He's had sufficient time to put it all together, and he's yet to do it. Maybe, next year... :lol2:

Umm... He's only a sophomore. There's only been once to say "maybe next year" with him.

He was undeniably better this year than he was last year. Agree?

Umm... He's only a sophomore. There's only been once to say "maybe next year" with him.

He was undeniably better this year than he was last year. Agree?

For what he is "supposed" to have been, Poythress has under achieved since he stepped on campus...

And no, he wasn't undeniably better this year. He was in fact worse this year than last year...

And no, he wasn't undeniably better this year. He was in fact worse this year than last year...

No, he was without question better.

Freshman Year

11.2 pts 6.0 rpg 58% FG 42% 3pt 68.9% FT and that was with 25.8 mpg

Sophomore Year

5.9 pts 4.5 rpg 49.7% FG 24.2 3pt 62.5% FT and that was with 18.8mpg

No, he was without question better.

2012-13:

58% FG

42% 3pt FG

69% FT

199 Rebounds

22 Assists

14 Blocks

9 Steals

66 Turnovers

2013-14:

48% FG

24% 3pt FG

63% FT

181 Rebounds

17 Assists

29 Blocks

12 Steals

38 Turnovers

Really? Without question? I'll give you he may have been better defensively and holding onto the ball this season. He was worse, in terms of percentages, on the offensive end this season.

2012-13:

58% FG

42% 3pt FG

69% FT

199 Rebounds

22 Assists

14 Blocks

9 Steals

66 Turnovers

2013-14:

48% FG

24% 3pt FG

63% FT

181 Rebounds

17 Assists

29 Blocks

12 Steals

38 Turnovers

Really? Without question? I'll give you he may have been better defensively and holding onto the ball this season. He was worse, in terms of percentages, on the offensive end this season.

My stats weren't good enough for you? haha!

The three point percentage doesn't make sense at all to me.

While Poythress's PPG and shooting percentage were better his freshman year, I believe he was much more aggressive and productive playing 7 minutes less a game this year. Yes his PPG are much less, but he didn't really need to score as much this year as he did last year. If you look at the stats Deuce provided he had only 18 less rebounds, 5 less assist, and he had 15 more blocks than he did while playing around 280 minutes less this year.

While Poythress's PPG and shooting percentage were better his freshman year, I believe he was much more aggressive and productive playing 7 minutes less a game this year. Yes his PPG are much less, but he didn't really need to score as much this year as he did last year. If you look at the stats Deuce provided he had only 18 less rebounds, 5 less assist, and he had 15 more blocks than he did while playing around 280 minutes less this year.

He improved in defensive areas and regressed in offensive areas. Why that is the case is another conversation altogether. To say he was "without question" better this past season is just incorrect.

He improved in defensive areas and regressed in offensive areas. Why that is the case is another conversation altogether. To say he was "without question" better this past season is just incorrect.
Correct. His numbers don't lie. His motor was a lot more consistent this year. I believe that maybe what UKMF was referring to, but I can't speak for him.

You guys know stats don't always tell the story. He was much more effective this year than last. There were times last year where he just looked lost.... To me he's still a great athlete that is trying to figure out how to be a basketball player.

You guys know stats don't always tell the story. He was much more effective this year than last. There were times last year where he just looked lost.... To me he's still a great athlete that is trying to figure out how to be a basketball player.

If you want to say he was better by the "eye test," go ahead.

He was worse statistically. Unfortunately for a lot of guys, they don't measure hustle.

If you want to say he was better by the "eye test," go ahead.

He was worse statistically. Unfortunately for a lot of guys, they don't measure hustle.

I really don't think it was about hustle. I just think he had a better understanding of what he needed to do to help his team this year. And he was more capable of doing that.