2014 Class A Preseason Top 10

Bac2369

What is your opinions on this subject and why are they ranked there?

I have did some quality thinking on this subject and have come up with my top 10.

1 Mayfield- They are # 1 until beaten by a class A team.. Return some young talent and some really good skill guys. but after several good years with a Guhy at QB they finally get to see what life will be like without them..

2 Williamsburg- They return everyone except a QB from there state runner up from last year. They have all the piece to make a return trip to state and possible even win it. But if they are to win it they must match the speed because last year Mayfield killed them with there speed and it wasn't even a game.

3 Frankfort- They return several good athletes and play makers and that makes them dangerous for another deep playoff run. This team has several athletes unlike years past with maybe just 1 or 2 so they are very athletic and will put up a show and also eager to see how there defense will be this year after finally knocking off Beechwood

4 Beechwood- They return several solid playmakers and should have an experienced line which should be able to let them play Beechwood football and run the ball down teams throats.. Last year was more of a passing team and its possible they may be balanced with a close to 50/50 run/pass ratio. Beechwood would normally be ranked above Frankfort in my eyes but I think Frankfort has more playmakers and that's why they are given the nod above the all mighty Beechwood.

5 Pikeville- They return some really good seniors who should be hungry from a 3rd round playoff exit. The senior leadership is the reason why they are ranked in the top 5 and should once again have a high powered offense. But this season Pikeville must have a better defense to ensure a deep playoff run because last year against good teams they allowed too many points.

6 Hazard- They return Brandon Jones at running back and he will be a load for most teams to contain. There offense should more balanced with having several capable receivers to throw too instead of just mainly targeting one like last year.. Hazard will have a senior OL and DL and it will be the strong point to hazard success next year and the reason I got them ranked at 6th.

7 Raceland- They have good athletes returning but lost several playmakers from last year who will be missed and accounted for a lot of Racelands offense.. Another reason Raceland is at there rank is because there are rumors that Conner Messer may not play next year and if he doesn't play it will hurt there chances tremendously of winning there 2nd region title.

8 Russellville- They return there quarterback and a running back from last year team who is the only class A team to really challenge Mayfield but they lost quite a bit and will need some younger kids to step up to be successful and not rely on Tacorian Darden and Desmon Quarles.

9 Paintsville- They return some good athletes and a healthy Kash Daniel would of sure help them last year in there surprised success after being down for several years and a big transfer in running back Daymon Belcher of Johnson Central which will give them a two headed monster at running back.

10 Fairview- They have some talent returning but don't really know who all has transferred out and what all they will have to work with.. But last year they had several good running backs in there run heavy offense which who could take one to the house at any time..

Well I am eager to see everyones thoughts and I know its early but in my opinion its never too early to talk about football.

I have did some quality thinking on this subject and have come up with my top 10.

1 Mayfield- They are # 1 until beaten by a class A team.. Return some young talent and some really good skill guys. but after several good years with a Guhy at QB they finally get to see what life will be like without them..

2 Williamsburg- They return everyone except a QB from there state runner up from last year. They have all the piece to make a return trip to state and possible even win it. But if they are to win it they must match the speed because last year Mayfield killed them with there speed and it wasn't even a game.

3 Frankfort- They return several good athletes and play makers and that makes them dangerous for another deep playoff run. This team has several athletes unlike years past with maybe just 1 or 2 so they are very athletic and will put up a show and also eager to see how there defense will be this year after finally knocking off Beechwood

4 Beechwood- They return several solid playmakers and should have an experienced line which should be able to let them play Beechwood football and run the ball down teams throats.. Last year was more of a passing team and its possible they may be balanced with a close to 50/50 run/pass ratio. Beechwood would normally be ranked above Frankfort in my eyes but I think Frankfort has more playmakers and that's why they are given the nod above the all mighty Beechwood.

5 Pikeville- They return some really good seniors who should be hungry from a 3rd round playoff exit. The senior leadership is the reason why they are ranked in the top 5 and should once again have a high powered offense. But this season Pikeville must have a better defense to ensure a deep playoff run because last year against good teams they allowed too many points.

6 Hazard- They return Brandon Jones at running back and he will be a load for most teams to contain. There offense should more balanced with having several capable receivers to throw too instead of just mainly targeting one like last year.. Hazard will have a senior OL and DL and it will be the strong point to hazard success next year and the reason I got them ranked at 6th.

7 Raceland- They have good athletes returning but lost several playmakers from last year who will be missed and accounted for a lot of Racelands offense.. Another reason Raceland is at there rank is because there are rumors that Conner Messer may not play next year and if he doesn't play it will hurt there chances tremendously of winning there 2nd region title.

8 Russellville- They return there quarterback and a running back from last year team who is the only class A team to really challenge Mayfield but they lost quite a bit and will need some younger kids to step up to be successful and not rely on Tacorian Darden and Desmon Quarles.

9 Paintsville- They return some good athletes and a healthy Kash Daniel would of sure help them last year in there surprised success after being down for several years and a big transfer in running back Daymon Belcher of Johnson Central which will give them a two headed monster at running back.

10 Fairview- They have some talent returning but don't really know who all has transferred out and what all they will have to work with.. But last year they had several good running backs in there run heavy offense which who could take one to the house at any time..

Well I am eager to see everyones thoughts and I know its early but in my opinion its never too early to talk about football.

Heading into the season I would have to agree with your rankings. It will be strange not seeing Mayfield's name on the list for Class A in 2015.

Good job, way to kick off Class A discussion for the coming season

My biggest problem is with bac opening statement.

Until beaten by someone Mayfield is #1. We may end up there and may have the talent todo so. Our young ones appear to be special and they are mixed with everything needed to easily be the favorite again except QB as mentioned by bac. But this is about present not past. The Cards are in the discussion but I'm going to give the nod to Beechwood if the coach willow them to. Be balanced. We will see

Mayfield is as unknown as about any team on here. Williamsburg , I doubt is #2 because they were not the second best team in class 1A last year. Frankfort and Russellville both would have handily beat them. I will go with Frankfort as the preseason #1 team , Beechwood #2 and Mayfield #3.

As to Williamsburg and the statement about matching speed, you either got speed or you don't.

What is your opinions on this subject and why are they ranked there? I have did some quality thinking on this subject and have come up with my top 10. 1 Mayfield- They are # 1 until beaten by a class A team.. Return some young talent and some really good skill guys. but after several good years with a Guhy at QB they finally get to see what life will be like without them.. 2 Williamsburg- They return everyone except a QB from there state runner up from last year. They have all the piece to make a return trip to state and possible even win it. But if they are to win it they must match the speed because last year Mayfield killed them with there speed and it wasn't even a game. 3 Frankfort- They return several good athletes and play makers and that makes them dangerous for another deep playoff run. This team has several athletes unlike years past with maybe just 1 or 2 so they are very athletic and will put up a show and also eager to see how there defense will be this year after finally knocking off Beechwood 4 Beechwood- They return several solid playmakers and should have an experienced line which should be able to let them play Beechwood football and run the ball down teams throats.. Last year was more of a passing team and its possible they may be balanced with a close to 50/50 run/pass ratio. Beechwood would normally be ranked above Frankfort in my eyes but I think Frankfort has more playmakers and that's why they are given the nod above the all mighty Beechwood. 5 Pikeville- They return some really good seniors who should be hungry from a 3rd round playoff exit. The senior leadership is the reason why they are ranked in the top 5 and should once again have a high powered offense. But this season Pikeville must have a better defense to ensure a deep playoff run because last year against good teams they allowed too many points. 6 Hazard- They return Brandon Jones at running back and he will be a load for most teams to contain. There offense should more balanced with having several capable receivers to throw too instead of just mainly targeting one like last year.. Hazard will have a senior OL and DL and it will be the strong point to hazard success next year and the reason I got them ranked at 6th. 7 Raceland- They have good athletes returning but lost several playmakers from last year who will be missed and accounted for a lot of Racelands offense.. Another reason Raceland is at there rank is because there are rumors that Conner Messer may not play next year and if he doesn't play it will hurt there chances tremendously of winning there 2nd region title. 8 Russellville- They return there quarterback and a running back from last year team who is the only class A team to really challenge Mayfield but they lost quite a bit and will need some younger kids to step up to be successful and not rely on Tacorian Darden and Desmon Quarles. 9 Paintsville- They return some good athletes and a healthy Kash Daniel would of sure help them last year in there surprised success after being down for several years and a big transfer in running back Daymon Belcher of Johnson Central which will give them a two headed monster at running back. 10 Fairview- They have some talent returning but don't really know who all has transferred out and what all they will have to work with.. But last year they had several good running backs in there run heavy offense which who could take one to the house at any time.. Well I am eager to see everyones thoughts and I know its early but in my opinion its never too early to talk about football.

Raceland will have to fill some positions, most definitely their offensive and defensive lines. The Regional Championship team had four three-year starters on both sides of the lines. They have talent everywhere and they need to utilize their speed they will have. Connor Messer, along with Josh Young, attended the Blue Grey Football combine in Cincinnati yesterday. I do believe he will be playing next year for the Rams.

From other view points, looks like a good preseason ranking for Class A football. Mayfield will top the list until they're beaten. Period. I heard Williamsburg graduates barely anything from last year's runner up team. Look for them to make a statement early.

Mayfield is as unknown as about any team on here. Williamsburg , I doubt is #2 because they were not the second best team in class 1A last year. Frankfort and Russellville both would have handily beat them. I will go with Frankfort as the preseason #1 team , Beechwood #2 and Mayfield #3.

As to Williamsburg and the statement about matching speed, you either got speed or you don't.

To me, its about the development at QB for the Cards. Should our new, young, QB get it figured out by playoff time we should be a tough out. I still think Bw has the pieces if they can just figure out how to but them together. Williamsburg does return a lot but they have the same problem Mf has in getting stability at QB

I can agree with your top three...

I agree with you. But usually when you don't see speed like that all year its just hard to recover. Hazard was overwhelmed against Mayfield in 2010 and in 2011 Hazard was ready and hungry for revenge after there poor performance. So basically this is a new year and not last year so if these teams actually met up again the outcome may be different.

I agree Williamsburg was not the 2nd best team last year but no one was even close to Mayfield. Russellville played them tough but only for a half. Beechwood, Frankfort, Russellville, Williamsburg, Hazard, and Raceland all possible would match up well with each other and I think if these teams played on neutral sites 10 times they would probably split.

At this point it is all about how it looks on paper. I can roll with the rankings at the start of the thread. I definitely agree that Mayfield is #1 until they get beat' date=' or they show us on the field that they should not be #1.[/quote']

I agree with you. And they have the rings to prove to us why they should be #1.

Beechwood returns an awful lot to be outside of the Top 3....IMO

I certainly agree. But my reasoning for having them so low is which really isn't low is because there in the top 5. Williamsburg returns everyone except for there QB and basically everyone on defense and they really got a good as shot as anyone to making it back to state. Beechwood really hasn't been the beechwood of the old but they have been pretty solid and dominate until they have run into Mayfield. Frankfort has closed the gap over the past few years and finally last year got over the hump. Teams I have noticed they have finally gotten over the hump has continued there success but I do think Frankfort and Beechwood will meet again in the playoff and it will be a battle and it helps that beechwood will be there home team.

Just because Williamsburg made it to the state finals last year or they do this year doesn't make them the 2nd best team in 1A. Beechwood is a solid top 3 team in 1A while I'd peg W'burg around 6th. The rankings should be how they stand overall or just rank them East to West. I saw most of the top teams in 1A last season and Williamsburg was not even close to the #2 team in 1A.