Mets' Daniel Murphy Gets Flack for Taking Paternity Leave

What say you? Would you take the days given to be at your wife's side for a few days? Why can't MLB players do the same?

Daniel Murphy leaves Mets for wife and newborn, Mike Francesa rips paternity leave idea, calls it ?scam? and ?gimmick?   - NY Daily News

From the article: Boomer Esiason, on WFAN’s morning show, took it even a step further, saying Murphy should have insisted his wife “have a C-section before the season starts. I need to be at Opening Day, I’m sorry.”

I love Boomer but that's just a stupid comment.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking Boomer meant they could have induced labor Friday or Saturday. If she was really close to her due date it was an option for doctors anyway. I'm not saying I agree with him. Just pointing out it's pretty normal.

I'm thinking Boomer meant they could have induced labor Friday or Saturday. If she was really close to her due date it was an option for doctors anyway. I'm not saying I agree with him. Just pointing out it's pretty normal.

He basically said he should've forced her to have an unnecessary surgery so he didn't have to miss work. You do realize how dumb that sounds right?

Depends on my wife's situation. Is her health at risk? Is the baby's health at risk? If everybody is healthy and doing fine then I'd go play. I definitely wouldn't miss 3-5 days of work if everyone is healthy. When my youngest son was born I missed one day of work.

I ain't mad at Murphy for missing. Do what you gotta do homey. I could use his bat in my lineup right now since my fantasy team is off to a horrible start so he better make it up to me when he returns.

I'm actually kind of with Boomer. I probably would have lobbied to have the pregnancy induced before the season started. Not saying my wife would have agreed but I would have at least asked. For all we know Murphy may have asked.

:no:

Depends on my wife's situation. Is her health at risk? Is the baby's health at risk? If everybody is healthy and doing fine then I'd go play. I definitely wouldn't miss 3-5 days of work if everyone is healthy. When my youngest son was born I missed one day of work.

So, if your wife was due to deliver on a Wednesday, would you insist that she have a C-section on the previous Sunday, just so you wouldn't miss work?

So, if your wife was due to deliver on a Wednesday, would you insist that she have a C-section on the previous Sunday, just so you wouldn't miss work?

Insist? No.

Ask? Yes. I would aim for the Friday or Saturday so I'd be off on the weekend and be able to be there as much as possible before returning to work on Monday.

I just don't see the harm in asking. If she says no she says no and I miss work. Pretty simple process.

Insist? No.

Ask? Yes. I would aim for the Friday or Saturday so I'd be off on the weekend and be able to be there as much as possible before returning to work on Monday.

I just don't see the harm in asking. If she says no she says no and I miss work. Pretty simple process.

That's not what he said though. He basically said he'd make her have the C-section.