March 3, 201412 yr The “offense”, an endearing term that would make James Naismith roll over in his grave if he knew I was calling what UK tries to run “offense” is a messImagine what he'd say about this offense if they weren't the 2nd highest scoring team in the conference.
March 3, 201412 yr ]The “offense”, an endearing term that would make James Naismith roll over in his grave if he knew I was calling what UK tries to run “offense” is a mess, and the defense from the front court is nothing short of an attempt to imitate wearing shoes made of concrete Perhaps James Naismith might be impressed with the offensive ability of UK. After all the teams that he had during his nine years as a head basketball coach only averaged 23.8 points per game. And while Naismith invented the game, he wasn't some type of basketball coaching genius. His record at Kansas was 55-60, making him the only coach in the history of Kansas Jayhawk basketball to have a losing record.
March 3, 201412 yr This is exactly why Calipari has said a million times you can only coach at UK 10 years.
March 3, 201412 yr This is exactly why Calipari has said a million times you can only coach at UK 10 years. It's also the reason why we get stuck with someone like BCG. As a fan base we deserve a Gillispie or an Eddie Sutton every once in a while.
March 3, 201412 yr This is exactly why Calipari has said a million times you can only coach at UK 10 years. No doubt. I can't help but wonder if Cal will even stay 10 years.
March 3, 201412 yr No doubt. I can't help but wonder if Cal will even stay 10 years. If I were Cal, it'd be tough for me to feel like I owe anyone anything after deliving an elite 8, final 4, and national title in my first three years only to have a lot of people completely flip on me because my best player (noel) got hurt and the team this year has underachieved based on pre-season expectations.
March 3, 201412 yr This is the way I see it. Cal deserves the criticism he's getting because of the...in my opinion, just asinine things he says. Free throws don't matter...I want the guys to sub themselves...throwing guys under the bus both this year and last...draft night a couple of years ago being the biggest night in UK history...everybody wants to be us (meaning be UK). Come on. I am a non-UK fan, so I really don't care one way or the other...but if I was a passionate UK fan his shtick would be wearing thin, and not because of the loses...which leads to my second point. The loses are going to happen, and why would or should anyone expect any different with the way he has designed his program? The team is depending on anywhere from 4-6 freshman each year now to make it happen. Well guess what. It's ONLY happened like that one year...and that was such a special, one-of-a-kind year that's it's really outside the realm of possibility that it will happen again under the same coach at the same school, winning it on the back of freshman the way he did two years ago. What has happened this year and what happened last year is FAR more the likely scenario than winning a national championship. It seems to me the only people who can't see that is Cal and the more rabid fan base of the BBN. Guys, it hasn't been all that long ago that most freshman weren't even expected to contribute all that much when they came in...even many of the highly regarded recruits, much less depending of 4 or 5 of them to take a team all the way to a championship. Especially when those freshman are much more concerned about the name on the back of the jersey rather than what's on the front. That's how I see it anyway.
March 3, 201412 yr This is the way I see it. Cal deserves the criticism he's getting because of the...in my opinion, just asinine things he says. Free throws don't matter...I want the guys to sub themselves...throwing guys under the bus both this year and last...draft night a couple of years ago being the biggest night in UK history...everybody wants to be us (meaning be UK). Come on. I am a non-UK fan, so I really don't care one way or the other...but if I was a passionate UK fan his shtick would be wearing thin, and not because of the loses...which leads to my second point. The loses are going to happen, and why would or should anyone expect any different with the way he has designed his program? The team is depending on anywhere from 4-6 freshman each year now to make it happen. Well guess what. It's ONLY happened like that one year...and that was such a special, one-of-a-kind year that's it's really outside the realm of possibility that it will happen again under the same coach at the same school, winning it on the back of freshman the way he did two years ago. What has happened this year and what happened last year is FAR more the likely scenario than winning a national championship. It seems to me the only people who can't see that is Cal and the more rabid fan base of the BBN. Guys, it hasn't been all that long ago that most freshman weren't even expected to contribute all that much when they came in...even many of the highly regarded recruits, much less depending of 4 or 5 of them to take a team all the way to a championship. Especially when those freshman are much more concerned about the name on the back of the jersey rather than what's on the front. That's how I see it anyway. :lol: You take what Cal says WAY too literally.
March 3, 201412 yr :lol: You take what Cal says WAY too literally. Just call it like I see it. Like I said I'm not a fan of the program, on the outside looking in and don't care one way of the other. Am I saying they need to get rid of him? Nope, not saying that. As a Tarheel fan would I want him as my coach? Probably not. Do I believe he believes some of if not all the things he says? Yes, yes I do. The losses don't surprise me...freshman make mistakes...and a lot of freshman playing together probably won't meld together after one season. It is what it is.
March 3, 201412 yr This is the way I see it. Cal deserves the criticism he's getting because of the...in my opinion, just asinine things he says. Free throws don't matter...I want the guys to sub themselves...throwing guys under the bus both this year and last...draft night a couple of years ago being the biggest night in UK history...everybody wants to be us (meaning be UK). Come on. I am a non-UK fan, so I really don't care one way or the other...but if I was a passionate UK fan his shtick would be wearing thin, and not because of the loses...which leads to my second point. To expand.... #1 - "Free Throws don't matter" When did he say this? He's always said he's not worried about FT shooting, and that he's not going to devote specific practice time to it. He's 100% right on that. FTs are something that are the easiest thing in the world for guys to practice on their own. With limited practice time, it's not something teams should be devoting blocks of PT for. It's just not. #2 - "Throwing Guys Under the Bus both this year and last" No clue what your talking about here. Cal always defends his players. #3 - "Draft night a couple of years ago being the biggest night in UK history" You took that seriously? I mean, really? You fell for that? :lol2: That was 1000% recruiting ploy, nothing more, nothing less. #4 - "Everybody wants to be us" Again, you can't take it literally. All he's saying is they get everyone's best shot, and for the most part, he's absolutely right.
March 3, 201412 yr To expand.... #1 - "Free Throws don't matter" When did he say this? He's always said he's not worried about FT shooting, and that he's not going to devote specific practice time to it. He's 100% right on that. FTs are something that are the easiest thing in the world for guys to practice on their own. With limited practice time, it's not something teams should be devoting blocks of PT for. It's just not. #2 - "Throwing Guys Under the Bus both this year and last" No clue what your talking about here. Cal always defends his players. #3 - "Draft night a couple of years ago being the biggest night in UK history" You took that seriously? I mean, really? You fell for that? :lol2: That was 1000% recruiting ploy, nothing more, nothing less. #4 - "Everybody wants to be us" Again, you can't take it literally. All he's saying is they get everyone's best shot, and for the most part, he's absolutely right. Hey, you're a fan, I would expect you to take up for your coach and that's cool. #1. Any coach better worry about free throws and getting his team better. Yes it's something they should be working on their own, don't know how much time they devote to it, seems like not enough. #2 He couldn't blame Harrow enough last year, that's just one example. #3 Yes, he believes that, I whole heartedly believe that and I can't be convinced otherwise. #4 Part of his arrogant nature, which I guess a lot of coaches have and maybe you need that at that level, but he just shows his more maybe, more out front with it, which makes it easier for him to be not liked, not necessarily from a personal nature but from a basketball coach standpoint.
March 3, 201412 yr Not sure how he's my coach, but I've levied more than my fair share of criticism Cal's way both before and since he's become the Kentucky coach. I'm not taking up for anyone, I'm simply pointing out how flawed your post was.
March 3, 201412 yr Hey, you're a fan, I would expect you to take up for your coach and that's cool. #1. Any coach better worry about free throws and getting his team better. Yes it's something they should be working on their own, don't know how much time they devote to it, seems like not enough. #2 He couldn't blame Harrow enough last year, that's just one example. #3 Yes, he believes that, I whole heartedly believe that and I can't be convinced otherwise. #4 Part of his arrogant nature, which I guess a lot of coaches have and maybe you need that at that level, but he just shows his more maybe, more out front with it, which makes it easier for him to be not liked, not necessarily from a personal nature but from a basketball coach standpoint. #Hater
March 4, 201412 yr This is the way I see it. Cal deserves the criticism he's getting because of the...in my opinion, just asinine things he says. Free throws don't matter...I want the guys to sub themselves...throwing guys under the bus both this year and last...draft night a couple of years ago being the biggest night in UK history...everybody wants to be us (meaning be UK). Come on. I am a non-UK fan, so I really don't care one way or the other...but if I was a passionate UK fan his shtick would be wearing thin, and not because of the loses...which leads to my second point. The loses are going to happen, and why would or should anyone expect any different with the way he has designed his program? The team is depending on anywhere from 4-6 freshman each year now to make it happen. Well guess what. It's ONLY happened like that one year...and that was such a special, one-of-a-kind year that's it's really outside the realm of possibility that it will happen again under the same coach at the same school, winning it on the back of freshman the way he did two years ago. What has happened this year and what happened last year is FAR more the likely scenario than winning a national championship. It seems to me the only people who can't see that is Cal and the more rabid fan base of the BBN. Guys, it hasn't been all that long ago that most freshman weren't even expected to contribute all that much when they came in...even many of the highly regarded recruits, much less depending of 4 or 5 of them to take a team all the way to a championship. Especially when those freshman are much more concerned about the name on the back of the jersey rather than what's on the front. That's how I see it anyway. So it didn't work in 2011? Reminds me of something else Cal says that you should understand "you people are crazy"
March 4, 201412 yr Not sure how he's my coach, but I've levied more than my fair share of criticism Cal's way both before and since he's become the Kentucky coach. I'm not taking up for anyone, I'm simply pointing out how flawed your post was. Just thought you were a fan with UK in your handle. My bad if you're not. Anyway where did you disprove anything I said? Most of what I pointed out is fact, agmented with some opinion based on tthose facts. For instance, he for a fact said draft night a couple of years ago was the greatest night in UK basketball history. That's a fact, it can't be disproven. I chose to believe he really believes that, you chose to think otherwise, that's where the opinion comes in, but the fact he said it remains the same.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.