Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Why I Stopped Drinking The Calipari Kool-Aid

Featured Replies

So how does the coach make players better free throw shooters? Is Phil Jackson a bad coach? After all, he did fix shaq's free throw problems

  • Replies 51
  • Views 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So it didn't work in 2011? Reminds me of something else Cal says that you should understand "you people are crazy"

 

Please read again. I said this years and last years teams are FAR more likely the rule, that years team is the exception and probably won't be duplicated again in that form...highly highly unlikely anyway.

With great praise comes great criticism.

 

He achieved so much so quickly that that's the bar (FF/Elite 8) fans want to be met. I can't blame them.

 

With that being said, maybe the fan base will understand that no matter how strong the incoming freshman class may appear to be, they still need to learn to play together to become a team. These guys have shown zero improvement as a team, and I honestly do not think they understand how to play together. Lack of maturity and humility, IMO, is what you are seeing with this year's team. I'm sure each player, individually, is one of the most talented at their position; however, they just can't work together as a unit.

#Hater

 

Oh JD...you make me giggle:)

Please read again. I said this years and last years teams are FAR more likely the rule, that years team is the exception and probably won't be duplicated again in that form...highly highly unlikely anyway.

 

What did I misread? I'm referring to the first sentence of the second paragraph. Let's see they lost 3 games in 2010 with freshmen Wall, Cousins, and Bledsoe. The went to the final 4 in 2011 with Knight, Lamb, and Jones. The one constant on both teams was Darius Miller who the fan base labeled as Disappearious Miller even during his senior year.

 

So last year they have to rebuild their entire roster due to several players leaving early and then their best player and a top 10 draft choice blows out his knee. Fast forward to this year and it has been a disappointment, plain and simple.

 

So after a final 8, a final 4, a National Championship, and a couple of disappointing years (one of which was completely understandable) we are going to make a big issue out of the outlandish things that Cal says to the media? and Pat Forde is gonna act like Cal's success is the result of the players left behind by Billy Gillespie. You guys have to be kidding.

So how does the coach make players better free throw shooters? Is Phil Jackson a bad coach? After all, he did fix shaq's free throw problems

 

Phil Jackson as far as I know never said free throws don't matter...not really sure I've ever heard another coach say that. And I never said Cal was a bad coach...don't agree with some of what he says or how he goes about some things, but those are my opinions and may or may not be right or wrong.

Phil Jackson as far as I know never said free throws don't matter...not really sure I've ever heard another coach say that. And I never said Cal was a bad coach...don't agree with some of what he says or how he goes about some things, but those are my opinions and may or may not be right or wrong.

 

Did he say they didn't matter? Or that he wasn't concerned about them? For the record I have no idea, I'm asking because another poster said the latter. Can someone confirm

Nevermind, I looked it up. In 2008 he said he was more concerned with defense and rebounding that free throws and this year he said it will be fine and he wasn't concerned about the free throw shooting.

Did he say they didn't matter? Or that he wasn't concerned about them? For the record I have no idea, I'm asking because another poster said the latter. Can someone confirm

 

To be honest I can't remember exactly how it was said...and I think he made reference to it more that once...but the jist was he was not concerned about the team shooting free throws poorly. Well to me when your team is losing close games and missing free throws, how its not a concern I'm not sure, but again that's just me.

To be honest I can't remember exactly how it was said...and I think he made reference to it more that once...but the jist was he was not concerned about the team shooting free throws poorly. Well to me when your team is losing close games and missing free throws, how its not a concern I'm not sure, but again that's just me.

 

I guess we see differently. I can't imagine it doesn't bother him if they shoot 50% from the line. I took it as it isn't something he was overly concerned about because he thought it would get better or there is litte he could do about it.

I find it utterly and completely fascinating how caught up the Bluegrass State is in interpreting the meaning behind every utterance from Calipari's mouth.

I find it utterly and completely fascinating how caught up the Bluegrass State is in interpreting the meaning behind every utterance from Calipari's mouth.

It's not the whole state, it's the 18% and the Haters :)

To be honest I can't remember exactly how it was said...and I think he made reference to it more that once...but the jist was he was not concerned about the team shooting free throws poorly. Well to me when your team is losing close games and missing free throws, how its not a concern I'm not sure, but again that's just me.

 

Because he's trying not to make a big deal out of it for the players maybe? The more he harps on it the more the pressure mounts.

 

 

Everything he says is calculated and for a reason. Don't take everything he says so literally.

It's not the whole state, it's the 18% and the Haters :)

 

There's way more than 18 percent of the UK fan base who do it.

Phil Jackson as far as I know never said free throws don't matter...not really sure I've ever heard another coach say that. And I never said Cal was a bad coach...don't agree with some of what he says or how he goes about some things, but those are my opinions and may or may not be right or wrong.

I'd rather stay out of this and just be amused at the back and forth...but I do have a question

 

Would it make UK a better free throw shooting team if Cal obsessed over them in every press conference? Players today see and hear everything the coach says in press conferences, if Cal was making a big deal of it in pressers don't you think that would put more pressure mentally on them. As a coach yourself you know there is more mental to FT's than physical.

 

UK does shoot FT's and run drill to improve their FT shooting. They have talked about it this season, one drill was having the players run to get heart rate up then stop and shoot FT's cold with penalties for misses.

 

FWIW

62.6 UNC FT %

68.5 UK FT %

 

Dadgumit! Maybe Roy needs to focus on them more!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.