Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Jordan Davis/Michael Dunn--Stand Your Ground

Featured Replies

From what appears to be the case as represented, he looks to be going away for a long time.

 

Wouldn't murder on it's own be a Hate Crime? How do you define a Hate Crime?

 

A crime motivated by racial, religious, gender, sexual orientation, or other prejudice.

 

From a legal dictionary.

  • Replies 58
  • Views 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know. I'm thinking he would have to have shown this kind of behavior before he murdered the kid.

 

I don't know. I think an attorney could attempt to connect the dots between those comments and the actions. It seems from the words he uses he connects blacks to "gangster-rap, ghetto talking thugs", then saying if more people would "kill these idiots" they'd "change their behavior".

 

Obviously, I'm not sure if that's enough to attempt to make the correlation, but from those comments it makes me think he'd have had a completely different reaction had the car been 4 white teens. :idunno:

A crime motivated by racial, religious, gender, sexual orientation, or other prejudice.

 

From a legal dictionary.

Well in this case if the loud music was the motivator, I don't think you can consider it a hate crime.

I believe you would have to prove that he only shot and killed him because he was black. I don't think you could prove that especially when witnesses have stated the argument started based on the music being too loud and the victim telling his friend who did turn it down to turn it back up.

 

Sad thing is, this all sounds as if it all could of been avoided.

Well in this case if the loud music was the motivator, I don't think you can consider it a hate crime.

I believe you would have to prove that he only shot and killed him because he was black. I don't think you could prove that.

 

From his writings, it seems like the culture is what his issue was with....Does that fall under "other prejudice"? I don't know, just throwing out possibilities.

 

If he really did snap solely because of loud music, clearly not a hate crime as you said.

A crime motivated by racial, religious, gender, sexual orientation, or other prejudice.

 

From a legal dictionary.

 

I understand that and I understand why the law exist, just not sure what it accomplishes. The underlying crime is still a crime that should be prosecuted even without the "Hate" part of it.

 

Is it worse to commit a crime against someone of a different background than committing the same crime against someone similar to you?

I don't know. I think an attorney could attempt to connect the dots between those comments and the actions. It seems from the words he uses he connects blacks to "gangster-rap, ghetto talking thugs", then saying if more people would "kill these idiots" they'd "change their behavior".

 

Obviously, I'm not sure if that's enough to attempt to make the correlation, but from those comments it makes me think he'd have had a completely different reaction had the car been 4 white teens. :idunno:

Not necessarily, although you may be right, you also could be very wrong so making assumptions like that is also a problem.

 

Trying to categorize someone as a racist and to do so one assumes what he would do or act to a group of kids of a different race is purely speculation and holds no water in a courtroom.

Not necessarily, although you may be right, you also could be very wrong so making assumptions like that is also a problem.

 

Trying to categorize someone as a racist and to do so one assumes what he would do or act to a group of kids of a different race is purely speculation and holds no water in a courtroom.

 

Right, but we aren't in a courtroom, we're on a message board where we're allowed to make speculations and assumptions.

 

Also, not sure how you can't read his comments and say he's not racist. "The more I am exposed to these people, the more prejudice against them I become." :idunno:

Right, but we aren't in a courtroom, we're on a message board where we're allowed to make speculations and assumptions.

 

Also, not sure how you can't read his comments and say he's not racist. "The more I am exposed to these people, the more prejudice against them I become." :idunno:

 

The comments came

from after the crime was committed and while in jail surrounded by criminals of all types.

Seems pretty evident that he has an issue with race. If you don't think that makes him a racist, okay.

Seems pretty evident that he has an issue with race. If you don't think that makes him a racist, okay.

 

I not going to make that call either way. I was talking about proving it in a court o law.

The prosecution will screw this up, just like she did the Zimmerman trial.

I understand that and I understand why the law exist, just not sure what it accomplishes. The underlying crime is still a crime that should be prosecuted even without the "Hate" part of it.

 

Is it worse to commit a crime against someone of a different background than committing the same crime against someone similar to you?

 

In this case the crime is murder so the extra penalty might not have any effect. However, if he'd have hurled a racial epitaph and proceeded to beat the teens up don't you think that would have deserved an additional penalty? If someone targets sometime for violence for any ethnic or social reason they should get an additional penalty. They could target anyone in that social group no matter if they had done anything or not. Let me put it to you this way: should a person that severely injured or kills a cop get additional penalties?

  • Author

So he can still go to jail for a long long time?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.