Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Mayfield 43 Milan (TN) 12 Scrimmage

Featured Replies

Overall Score Mayfield 43 Milan 12

Varsity Mayfield 28 Milan 6

JV Mayfield 15 Milan 6

 

Cards QB was great as were receivers but the running game left a little to be desired though Milan is a mirror of Mayfield having played in 4 of the last 5 TN state AAA title games

 

The varsity only gave up 1 score and it came on the first play of the second half on a Milan bomb covering 70 yards

 

The Cards kicker attempted a 53 yard field goal that had the and then some but sailed about 5 feet left. This kid is a real weapon

Where is Milan and how good are they supposed to be? Regardless of the answer to that question, love to see KY throw a beating to a TN team!

  • Author
Where is Milan and how good are they supposed to be? Regardless of the answer to that question, love to see KY throw a beating to a TN team!

 

They are the TN class 3A state runner up last year and 4 of last 5 years but they did not win any of those title games getting taken down by Alcoa in most. They are always good and have won 4 State championships with 9 runner ups

It goes without saying that Luke looked Very good, and we have several real good receivers. I think the freshman running back could be a pretty good running back by the end of the year, I did not understand why Mills didn't get more reps running the ball. The line was outstanding on both sides of the football except for the defensive ends and I realize that one didn't play and his absence was big. Our weakness is linebacker, especially in the middle, they absolutely GOT to get better there. All in all a good performance, we should be fine when we get to the A schedule, but we could take a few hits I'm afraid before we get there.

Where is Milan and how good are they supposed to be? Regardless of the answer to that question, love to see KY throw a beating to a TN team!

 

About an hour and a half North east of Memphis.

Mayfield peeps, after seeing the scrimmage how does this Mayfield team compare with the teams of the last three years?

  • Author

Passing game is atleast as good. Running game is not as good

Defense is hard to tell

1st 3 games win or lose we will know if this team is a contender. Maybe even after the 1st game.

  • Author

Our LB play was really not that bad but not nearly what it was with Jackson and crew. The absence of Downing as DE was very noticeable. McCampbell and Mills are going to be great linebackers. Our secondary liked poor a few times and that should be better

I have to disagree about the linebacker performance, I personally thought it was the weakest we have been there in a long time. Even if johnathan Jackson was back, outside of him this bunch would be weak. I know it's early, and I hope that I am wrong in my assessment and I eat these words later in the year. I don't want to call names, but what I saw could not be attributed to being NEW at a position. what I saw was a lack of toughness.

Good job Mayfield:thumb:

 

Love seeing KY Football winning these out of state matchups...

I was told not to worry too much about the OL, as Milan's DL is expected to be very strong this year. They are supposedly a sr dominated line with 2-3 of those guys starting since they were sophs.

Someone from Mayfield sent me this about the scrimmage:

 

This years team will be the weakest team of the last four years. The weakness comes from the running back and linebacker spots and it is a big difference. The running backs have the speed but no size. The linebackers looked like a fish out of water. Milan made some big gains on sweeps. It will be better once our big defensive end comes back this week (He had mono)

 

It was the first time on the varsity level that these linebackers have started. Mills didn't even play linebacker in this scrimmage. McCampbell started at defensive end last year. He has a lot to learn and has to give more effort. The other two give 110% and are very coachable. I do think they will play Mills more at linebacker or move him there full time.

Another great thing about Jackson was that he compensated for the mistakes of others. Some one misses a tackle on defense, JJ would be there to clean it up. A block isn't picked up on offense, JJ was strong enough to take that tackler and a few others with him down the field. Everyone on this Mayfield team will have to do their part to be as successful as in recent years. With that being said, other than the QB... DL/OL and say receivers, a scrimmage gives you the opportunity to see who can fit best at any given position. I suspect it will be a work in progress over the first one-third of the season, plugging in players to different spots until the staff finds the right combination.

 

Biggest concerns I had from Friday for me came from the corner positions... let's just say they had great position if someone was posting up under the basket looking for an easy lay-up... in football, however, that gets you pass interference. The running game... just not the explosiveness, or really the speed Mayfield is usually accustomed to. I'm guessing the young freshman will get his fair share of playing time in the backfield. I'm not going to be too tough on the linebackers, we've been spoiled to say the least. To give up just 6 pts in the varsity portion of the scrimmage, against a run heavy Milan team, is certainly respectable.

 

While others have their own opinion, I still see the success to Mayfield this year will be a higher pass to run ratio. Handing the ball off when your senior quarterback has the smarts and the arm to torch high school defenses, I would say throw first and ask questions later.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.