Mayfield 43 Milan (TN) 12 Scrimmage

Toothpick

Someone from Mayfield sent me this about the scrimmage:

This years team will be the weakest team of the last four years. The weakness comes from the running back and linebacker spots and it is a big difference. The running backs have the speed but no size. The linebackers looked like a fish out of water. Milan made some big gains on sweeps. It will be better once our big defensive end comes back this week (He had mono)

It was the first time on the varsity level that these linebackers have started. Mills didn't even play linebacker in this scrimmage. McCampbell started at defensive end last year. He has a lot to learn and has to give more effort. The other two give 110% and are very coachable. I do think they will play Mills more at linebacker or move him there full time.

All that could be true. Mayfield will have to get better every game. I guess the main question is, even though this could be the weakest Mayfield squad in 4 years, have some of the others caught up?

Someone from Mayfield sent me this about the scrimmage:

This years team will be the weakest team of the last four years. The weakness comes from the running back and linebacker spots and it is a big difference. The running backs have the speed but no size. The linebackers looked like a fish out of water. Milan made some big gains on sweeps. It will be better once our big defensive end comes back this week (He had mono)

It was the first time on the varsity level that these linebackers have started. Mills didn't even play linebacker in this scrimmage. McCampbell started at defensive end last year. He has a lot to learn and has to give more effort. The other two give 110% and are very coachable. I do think they will play Mills more at linebacker or move him there full time.

Hard for anyone to really make a call yet after only 1 scrimmage against the TN 3A state runner up. With some key players out and Mills only getting three or four carries and not playing his LB position that he has started at. Those areas are a concern but should be better with Downing back and Mills getting reps. We all will know more in a couple of weeks but this should be a very good team in 1A. I don't see any 1A team that has as good a line or QB and the receiving core is talented and deep. This is the same line to the man that BW faced and they whipped BW up front.