Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

“He was a professional athlete and should be setting a better example for the kids."

Featured Replies

My problem with the "offensive nickname" ordeal is that the groups that COULD be offended (i.e. Native Americans) are NOT the groups advocating for change.
EXACTLY
  • Replies 30
  • Views 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not one of the ones mentioned here, but I never understood why people felt the need to go after Warriors or Braves as mascots. It's one thing to go after how they might be portrayed, but the nicknames themselves are in no way derogatory.

I wonder if anyone has ever challenged Notre Dame regarding their mascot;

Fighting Irish. Certainly someone must be offended enough to 'fight' it.

It's not one of the ones mentioned here, but I never understood why people felt the need to go after Warriors or Braves as mascots. It's one thing to go after how they might be portrayed, but the nicknames themselves are in no way derogatory.

DragonFire: Your name brings to mind another name change. Prior to 1981, the Pekin, Illinois, high school teams were known as the Chinks. In 1981, the school board changed the name from Chinks to Dragons.

DragonFire: Your name brings to mind another name change. Prior to 1981, the Pekin, Illinois, high school teams were known as the Chinks. In 1981, the school board changed the name from Chinks to Dragons.

 

Yikes. Now that one, I understand.

I see no difference in the Fighting Irish, Braves, Seminoles, Redskins, etc. I despise overly sensitive protestors. If you aren't Native American, and I mean at least 1/4 then shut up cause it doesn't pertain to you. This cry-baby, protest stuff that doesn't apply to you and has no real significance on the world we live in is the problem with America. Too sensitive. Jeez. If people would worry about themselves and do something productive, America would be in a lot better shape.

So nobody at the school has received an education all these years?

I see no difference in the Fighting Irish, Braves, Seminoles, Redskins, etc. I despise overly sensitive protestors. If you aren't Native American, and I mean at least 1/4 then shut up cause it doesn't pertain to you. This cry-baby, protest stuff that doesn't apply to you and has no real significance on the world we live in is the problem with America. Too sensitive. Jeez. If people would worry about themselves and do something productive, America would be in a lot better shape.

 

So no one is allowed to point out or protest injustice if it doesn't pertain to them? Whites marching in Alabama and DC in the '60s were "cry babies"? Should anti-abortion male senators just hush?

 

While your point is understood it is ridiculous to think that one can't have an opinion or present a dissenting idea or protest something they perceive as bad happening to others.

So no one is allowed to point out or protest injustice if it doesn't pertain to them? Whites marching in Alabama and DC in the '60s were "cry babies"? Should anti-abortion male senators just hush?

 

While your point is understood it is ridiculous to think that one can't have an opinion or present a dissenting idea or protest something they perceive as bad happening to others.

 

Apples and anchovies. Are you really that dramatic that you consider sports mascots on the same level as segregation, KKK and abortion all the same level of seriousness? If the majority of native Americans don't care, then why do you?

.

I see where you're going. However, every name isn't offensive. Rebels is probably in the questionable category if for no other reason than because Thomas More College changed from the Blue Rebels to Saints just a few years ago. Colonels and Indians are probably iffy. I think names of animals are always safe: Bulldogs, Bluebirds, Cardinals. (As a humorous aside, I don't think Greendevils would fly at a Catholic school, do you? Ha ha.)

 

A high school in the Seattle area is called the Totems. Unlike Redskins, it salutes the area's Native American heritage without being offensive.

 

Anything can be found offensive to someone.

 

Rebels isn't the only one. What about Indians? Someone may find that offensive and may want it changed to Native Americans for example.

 

I applaud the ex- NFL player. Polical correctness has gone way overboard.

I'm offended by guys in skinny jeans. I'm headed to the nearest mall to protest, who's coming with me?

Apples and anchovies. Are you really that dramatic that you consider sports mascots on the same level as segregation, KKK and abortion all the same level of seriousness? If the majority of native Americans don't care, then why do you?

 

Don't hate Rocket. I was in Crittenden County for the first time ever last week and you were the first person I thought of!

 

I'm not being dramatic. I'm just pointing out the fallacy of your statement not to "protest stuff that doesn't pertain to you." I'm not even necessarily against the name Redskins. But I can certainly understand where natives are coming from when they disagree (whatever their percentage) and I see no problem with people that aren't "at least 1/4" voicing their dislike.

 

Don't hate Rocket. I was in Crittenden County for the first time ever last week and you were the first person I thought of!

 

I'm not being dramatic. I'm just pointing out the fallacy of your statement not to "protest stuff that doesn't pertain to you." I'm not even necessarily against the name Redskins. But I can certainly understand where natives are coming from when they disagree (whatever their percentage) and I see no problem with people that aren't "at least 1/4" voicing their dislike.

 

God's country!!!

 

No hate, I just despise how soft our society has become and people protesting for protesting sake. It certainly seems that the overwhelming majority of Native Americans aren't offended, so people who don't have a dog in the fight want to protest for their own agendas. If someone doesn't like something, don't watch it or support it. But don't try and cram your (not you specifically) wishes on others and force the majority to do what the few want them to do. My 1/4 statement was for those who claim 1/16 Native ancestry. This country is a melting pot and most all of us are not pure, single heritage.

 

Maybe I'm insensitive, but I think the protesting by people who have no interest in stuff is Stupid.

If there's any place where there should be outrage, it should be in Kentucky. Everybody and their damned brother in this God-forsaken state swears up and down "my grandma was full-blooded Cherokee."

 

When it comes to issues of race, I'm glad my people are immigrant scum. Cuts down on a lot of latent guilt.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.