Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Food Network Cuts Paula Deen Loose

Featured Replies

Food Network is beholden to advertisers. HBO is not. Also, wasn't Maher fired by ABC before HBO picked up the show? Perhaps Fox will hire Paula Deen and pair her with Sarah Palin.

 

Maher was fired by ABC for a statement he made.

  • Replies 79
  • Views 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this whole uproar over her using a word is ridiculous. I hear that word every day listening to music but because it's a black person saying it, it's supposed to be acceptable. Give me a break. It's just a word. Sticks and stones and all that. Have i ever called someone that name? No. Have i ever said that word. Yes. Will i say it again? Probably. I listen to a lot of music and i always sing along.

I think this whole uproar over her using a word is ridiculous. I hear that word every day listening to music but because it's a black person saying it, it's supposed to be acceptable. Give me a break. It's just a word.

.

 

Says the white suburban mom.

I I hear that word every day listening to music but because it's a black person saying it, it's supposed to be acceptable. Give me a break. I

 

You're smarter than this.

 

Ex: If I say to my wife "your butt looks good and round" she knows I'm saying that with nothing but love and affection. If another woman would say "your butt sure looks round" it would not be received the same way.

 

The messenger matters. Context matters.

Say what you will about me but I still subscribe that it's just a word. I understand that black people don't like to be called that word. Hey, white people don't care much for it either. But this whole strange ideal that it's so much more taboo than any other word is absurd to me. I've been looked in the eye before and called the C word which for me is just as ugly a word. Why do we tolerate that word? Of course I could go on and on about which words are hurtful to which person.

Now do I think FN has the right to fire her over her choice of words? Absolutely.

Say what you will about me but I still subscribe that it's just a word. I understand that black people don't like to be called that word. Hey, white people don't care much for it either. But this whole strange ideal that it's so much more taboo than any other word is absurd to me. I've been looked in the eye before and called the C word which for me is just as ugly a word. Why do we tolerate that word? Of course I could go on and on about which words are hurtful to which person.

Now do I think FN has the right to fire her over her choice of words? Absolutely.

 

You can think what you want. Blacks, especially, older blacks would say you and I have no clue as to how that word impacts them. It's a bit presumptuous to tell them "it's just a word."

Another issue at play here is the FN target audience. I am an avid watcher of Food Network. I have learned most of my knowledge and cooking chops from their shows. One area they have not yet conquered is the African-American audience. They have tried. They have brought in Sunny Anderson and the Neelys in an attempt to gain more African-American viewers. But they don't have that break-out AA star like a Guy Fieri or Bobby Flay. It's painfully obvious they are trying to market to African-Americans but don't have the star that they can relate with. The whole Paula Deen issue isn't helping.

 

It goes much deeper than her use of one word. It's about the Benjamins and it's about target audience.

You can think what you want. Blacks, especially, older blacks would say you and I have no clue as to how that word impacts them. It's a bit presumptuous to tell them "it's just a word."

 

You are correct. Just as they have no clue how that C word impacts me. But I have had someone look at me with total hatred in their eyes and call me that name. The only difference is mine was a personal kind of hate and someone generalizing the entire black race with that word is an ignorant kind of hate. Both are dangerous kinds of hate though. I think people give that word way more power by continuing this facade that we just can't utter it. I call Oscar Mayer Bologna.

Edited by PurplePride92
Rule 8

What is the statute of limitations on past bad words? How far back should something that you said be held against you? Or is calling someone a racial epithet, making fun of a disability, color of their hair or making fun of them because religious beliefs, like murder with no Statute of limitations?

 

I know many on BGP have NEVER EVER said anything off color or if they did were NEVER overheard, but for those of us that have said something we regret are we doomed for life?

 

I was thinking that the lawsuit against her and and her brother for racial discrimination and sexual harassment is a recent lawsuit.

I was thinking that the lawsuit against her and and her brother for racial discrimination and sexual harassment is a recent lawsuit.

I think it is but I understood that the use of the word she admitted to was back when she worked at a bank that was robbed...don't think she has worked at a bank in a long while. BUT I could be wrong, I honestly have researched this a whole lot.

 

FWIW FN IMO does have the right to no resign her contract. If I had said this word at work I would have been fired in very short order.

I think it is but I understood that the use of the word she admitted to was back when she worked at a bank that was robbed...don't think she has worked at a bank in a long while. BUT I could be wrong, I honestly have researched this a whole lot.

 

FWIW FN IMO does have the right to no resign her contract. If I had said this word at work I would have been fired in very short order.

 

I think a lot of people would read this thread and think: Lady admits to using the word twice a long time ago. Black employee decides that's racial harassment. Let's sue.

 

That's not the allegation being made.

I think a lot of people would read this thread and think: Lady admits to using the word twice a long time ago. Black employee decides that's racial harassment. Let's sue.

 

That's not the allegation being made.

 

I know and that's not what I meant, just stating what I had personally heard on TV. Like I said I haven't really researched this a lot and was honest just asking a question because several are up in arms because she admitted to using that word years ago. I was wondering if words we say hang around our neck forever or if there is a point at which people can change and past bad acts are no longer held against them.

I know and that's not what I meant, .

 

I shouldn't have said "this" after copying your post. Your post was on point.

AT, that is completely false.

 

They each get to say what they want. Each business then gets to decide if that person is right for their business. Putting it the way you did is not indicative of your normal ability to understand an issue.

 

You do know however, Paula Deen, a white southerner from Savannah GA will get more criticism for saying it in private than Bill Maher, left leaning comedian (whom I like) would for saying "Barack Obama's Negro Army," (several times on different stations.)

 

Double standard does exist. The reason it will affect the business in the first place is because the media sometimes make a bigger example of one than the other.

You do know however, Paula Deen, a white southerner from Savannah GA will get more criticism for saying it in private than Bill Maher, left leaning comedian (whom I like) would for saying "Barack Obama's Negro Army," (several times on different stations.)

 

Double standard does exist. The reason it will affect the business in the first place is because the media sometimes make a bigger example of one than the other.

 

Comedians always have more leeway.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.