Summer Scrimmages

After reading through team camp results, watching a few in person, and getting first hand reports - I have concluded that you can determine absolutely nothing from the scores of these games.

Don't get me wrong, I think they are very beneficial for the teams participating, but the results of individual contests should not be used to predict anything.

For example - I saw Holy Cross play Highlands and Ryle. They had a total of seven players - each looked to be very young - and they handled HHS and played Ryle to a 1 possession game.

- I saw Highlands with a double digit win over Ryle - without True and Houliston - the two kids that played a lot of minutes last year. I am not sure Ryle was at full strength but they had a lot of players there.

- I heard the HHS defeated Cooper by 5 - without True, Houliston, and Harris - after Cooper had gone down to Georgetown and went undefeated in a team camp. I think they were 8 -0.

I was told NCC can't even find a team willing to scrimmage them.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Summer ball is a time to give young kids some playing time and an opportunity to evaluate talent. Very few teams ever have their starting five there. Baseball, football, golf, vacation and jobs are often prioritized over summer basketball.

Summer ball is a time to give young kids some playing time and an opportunity to evaluate talent. Very few teams ever have their starting five there. Baseball, football, golf, vacation and jobs are often prioritized over summer basketball.

Agree. I don't and never have put alot of stock in summer ball.

EGOs?

I believe NCC is looking for games and all teams are booked. Ron Dawn is running summer workout different than Brannen (not good or bad).

I've heard their open gyms have been intense with multiple college players (4 or 5 D1) attending.

NKY Bandit must have an ax to grind. Relax and count to ten.....

No one said coaches are afraid of NCC.

EGOs?

I believe NCC is looking for games and all teams are booked. Ron Dawn is running summer workout different than Brannen (not good or bad).

I've heard their open gyms have been intense with multiple college players (4 or 5 D1) attending.

NKY Bandit must have an ax to grind. Relax and count to ten.....

No one said coaches are afraid of NCC.

Look in Stinkboys comment it says they can't find someone "willing" to scrimmage. That implies teams are afraid.

Look in Stinkboys comment it says they can't find someone "willing" to scrimmage. That implies teams are afraid.

If I was teams I would be afraid. NewCath is loaded this year been hearing a lot of stuff about their team this year hands down #1 team in region and top 5 in the state they have everything including a bench and a coach that is in my eyes one of the best in kentucky highschool history in Ron Dawn. The more they play this summer the more they get even better and better. I heard Drew Mcdonald and Jake Schulte have

been men in open gyms and that the Pangallo boy has been nasty that people can't guard him and ge just got done with baseball which he was one of the best hitters in the state what a athlete he is. Also heard McDonald is lighting it up from the outside and Schulte is dunking everything add in the Weyer boy with his 6'5 frame and he can shoot the 3 real good and the Moaves's studs. IMO That said I like what I see out of the Highlands Program in basketball also great to see kids more into basketball at Highlands.

Hands down #1 in the region? Come on man. I'm a huge NCC fan too and have a great relationship with several of their players but there isn't a "hands down #1" in the 9th region this year.

I think you have Holmes and NCC then Dixie and Covcath then the rest of the region. Any one of those 4 could go to Rupp this year and it wouldn't surprise me.

Didn't mean to imply that teams were afraid to scrimmage NCC if that is how it came off. More that they are having trouble finding a team that a scrimmage would be mutually beneficial. NCC does not need another debacle like the Bourbon County scrimmage earlier this spring. Not too many teams have the size and strength to make the scrimmage work for both squads. This is especially true with most teams missing players that have other commitments.

Anyone have any info on the Holmes shootout at the end of this week. Teams participating? Game times? Matchups?

Hands down #1 in the region? Come on man. I'm a huge NCC fan too and have a great relationship with several of their players but there isn't a "hands down #1" in the 9th region this year.

I think you have Holmes and NCC then Dixie and Covcath then the rest of the region. Any one of those 4 could go to Rupp this year and it wouldn't surprise me.

Its my opinion Walter. I think everyone has their own including you. If you don't think their not just ask two former Holmes players they will tell you I heard the Johnson brothers were at their open gyms and 3 other D 1 players were playing against them and Newcath were very impressive and also heard that was without the Pangallo boy but I could be wrong on that one though. They will be hands down #1 in region cause of their coach. Mark it down and you should go up on the hill and watch one of their open gyms and see for yourself and you make the call its in Newport not Covington and while You are at it swing by Ft Thomas and take in some HHS basketball and tell what you think. Just my opinion

Didn't mean to imply that teams were afraid to scrimmage NCC if that is how it came off. More that they are having trouble finding a team that a scrimmage would be mutually beneficial. NCC does not need another debacle like the Bourbon County scrimmage earlier this spring. Not too many teams have the size and strength to make the scrimmage work for both squads. This is especially true with most teams missing players that have other commitments.

Anyone have any info on the Holmes shootout at the end of this week. Teams participating? Game times? Matchups?

I'll try to get that information for you. I plan on trying to catch a few games.

Its my opinion Walter. I think everyone has their own including you. If you don't think their not just ask two former Holmes players they will tell you I heard the Johnson brothers were at their open gyms and 3 other D 1 players were playing against them and Newcath were very impressive and also heard that was without the Pangallo boy but I could be wrong on that one though. They will be hands down #1 in region cause of their coach. Mark it down and you should go up on the hill and watch one of their open gyms and see for yourself and you make the call its in Newport not Covington and while You are at it swing by Ft Thomas and take in some HHS basketball and tell what you think. Just my opinion

I've had several of the NCC boys in the open gym I help run...I know what they're capable of and have seen them multiple times this summer. See some of my recent posts on McDonald. Jake Schulte is visiting D2 Findlay today.

As far as their open gyms go, I plan on stopping by there tonight after I make a stop by Dixie.

Edited by Walter

I've had several of the NCC boys in the open gym I help run...I know what they're capable of and have seen them multiple times this summer. See some of my recent posts on McDonald. Jake Schulte is visiting D2 Findlay today.

As far as their open gyms go, I plan on stopping by there tonight after I make a stop by Dixie.

What time is their open gyms and on what nights? Are they open for anyone to come and watch? Looking forward to the information on the Holmes Shootout. Thanks Walter.