June 3, 201313 yr Author UK fans travel much much better than UL fans, and any other college's fan as well. If UK and UL played on the moon, UK fans would undoubtedly make the trip and outnumber the UL fans 4:1. How many UofL sporting events have you been to outside of the state?
June 3, 201313 yr Also I've never got where the large amount of revenue U of L makes in basketball comes from. They don't have an extremely large fan base. Is it a mixture of Big East money, luxury boxes, alcohol sales mixed in with merchandise. I'm not being mean but I don't know how they make more than Kentucky, North Carolina, Indiana or Kansas. Louisville is a pretty large urban area without major professional sports. So not only are there a lot of people living here (nearly 800,000 in Jefferson County alone) but that population leads to a rather significant corporate presence to drive up the number of corporate partners, sponsorships and seat/suite purchases. And the price on each of those goes up given the high demand for those things here in the city. Whereas the most significant corporate dollars get thrown at professional sports in Charlotte, Indianapolis and Kansas City, they're all almost entirely directed at UofL here in the city. That causes a huge bump in revenues.
June 4, 201313 yr While I do feel this is a silly study...it is a study...so we top this one. Out of curiosity, what criteria would you use to determine the best farms of a team? And who would be tops.My farm teams would include Nebraska. Iowa. and Illinois......just kidding too......criteria can be so broad based for a subject of this type....Ville does have good fans though....
June 11, 201313 yr USA Today | Sports | COLLEGE | Finances I was thinking about this thread today and remembered seeing a USA today chart that showed the revenues for all D1 colleges. UL and Kentucky are really close but look at the subsidy column. UK has less than 900K in subsidies while UL has over 10 million... That skews the numbers a bit
June 11, 201313 yr USA Today | Sports | COLLEGE | Finances I was thinking about this thread today and remembered seeing a USA today chart that showed the revenues for all D1 colleges. UL and Kentucky are really close but look at the subsidy column. UK has less than 900K in subsidies while UL has over 10 million... That skews the numbers a bit What does "subsidy" mean in this context? EDIT: Nevermind. Found the link to their methodology at the bottom of the page. I know one of those subsidies is that every UofL student pays an athletics fee. If I'd been a student there while the university was running around screaming about how profitable the athletics department is while I was paying that fee, I'd have yelled at the closest administrator I could find. Luckily for their eardrums, my last year at UofL was before the Yum Center opened and all that nonsense started.
June 11, 201313 yr Side note: Is UL having the greatest college sports year ever? Football: Won Sugar Bowl (BCS Bowl Game) Soccer: Men made Elite 8 Men's Basketball: NCAA Champions Women's Basketball: NCAA Runners-up Baseball: Made CWS (still in progress)
June 11, 201313 yr Side note: Is UL having the greatest college sports year ever? Football: Won Sugar Bowl (BCS Bowl Game) Soccer: Men made Elite 8 Men's Basketball: NCAA Champions Women's Basketball: NCAA Runners-up Baseball: Made CWS (still in progress) Yes
June 11, 201313 yr Author Side note: Is UL having the greatest college sports year ever? Football: Won Sugar Bowl (BCS Bowl Game) Soccer: Men made Elite 8 Men's Basketball: NCAA Champions Women's Basketball: NCAA Runners-up Baseball: Made CWS (still in progress) The answer is yes. Most definitely.
June 11, 201313 yr The answer is yes. Most definitely. We also have a National Champion Swimmer, and a student discovered a sub-planet (or something like that...it's above my pay grade). Then there are the academic achievements...
June 12, 201313 yr Here are the APR results of the athletic teams: Regardless, the APR is a real thing (as any Connecticut fan can attest to), and appears to be here to stay for the foreseeable future. That being the case, let's look at how all the Louisville sports fared in the latest release of scores. Baseball - 977 Field Hockey - 987 Football - 924 Men's Basketball - 995 Men's Cross Country - 1000 Men's Golf - 947 Men's Soccer - 958 Men's Swimming - 979 Men's Tennis - 967 Men's Track (Indoor) - 988 Men's Track (Outdoor) - 961 Softball - 989 Women's Basketball - 953 Women's Cross Country - 986 Women's Golf - 1000 Women's Lacrosse - 974 Women's Rowing - 979 Women's Soccer - 980 Women's Swimming - 991 Women's Tennis - 993 Women's Track (Indoor) - 991 Women's Track (Outdoor) - 988 Women's Volleyball - 982 In all, six Louisville programs (including men's basketball) posted perfect scores for the 2011-12 academic year. The football program - whose 924 total is the worst in the Big East and would have been in the worst in the ACC - posted a single-year score of 971. The program's overall score is still being dragged down by the Kragthorpe years, which infamously led to the loss of two scholarships a couple of years ago.
June 12, 201313 yr We also have a National Champion Swimmer, and a student discovered a sub-planet (or something like that...it's above my pay grade). Then there are the academic achievements... More Fulbright scholars than the rest of the schools in Kentucky combined.
June 12, 201313 yr Here are the APR results of the athletic teams: Ugh. APR is the worst thing ever. Except maybe the Capital One Cup. That might be the worst. I haven't even decided if I'll be happy if Louisville wins it the methodology is so bad.
June 12, 201313 yr Ugh. APR is the worst thing ever. Except maybe the Capital One Cup. That might be the worst. I haven't even decided if I'll be happy if Louisville wins it the methodology is so bad. No they wont, A&M looks to be the best college program this year Louisville is a very average 7th right now
June 12, 201313 yr Ugh. APR is the worst thing ever. Except maybe the Capital One Cup. That might be the worst. I haven't even decided if I'll be happy if Louisville wins it the methodology is so bad.[/ Why lie? You'll be thrilled if UL wins the Cup. What is a Fulbright scholar? Obviously, I realize it is an academic award/scholarship, but what are the criterion for winning?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.