April 4, 201313 yr He was pretty good in a tough situation at FIU, and provided the insight against Duke that let Louisville roll them offensively. He's also better than anyone else Minnesota was going to get.
April 4, 201313 yr What a joke..He hasn't proved anything. If his name wasn't pitino he would not have even gotten an interview. Care to explain Norwood Teague hiring Anthony Grant and Shaka Smart???
April 4, 201313 yr Too young and unproven Richard is, what, 29? 30? You only have to be 35 to be President of the United States. Saying he's too young is silly.
April 4, 201313 yr He was pretty good in a tough situation at FIU, and provided the insight against Duke that let Louisville roll them offensively. He's also better than anyone else Minnesota was going to get. :lol2: Sure he did. 30 years old would have to put him as one of the youngest head coaches in the country right?
April 4, 201313 yr :lol2: Sure he did. 30 years old would have to put him as one of the youngest head coaches in the country right? So what? He already is one.
April 4, 201313 yr They've already gone with the successful mid-major (Monson) and a former National Championship coach, why not go for some young, energetic guy with pedigree? What do they have to lose at this point?
April 4, 201313 yr So what? He already is one. I don't think it is unfair if someone calls him too young and too unproven for a major gig.
April 4, 201313 yr I don't think it is unfair if someone calls him too young and too unproven for a major gig. Unproven is a matter of opinion. I disagree, but you're entitled. How does his age, in and of itself, enter into it? That's what I take issue with.
April 4, 201313 yr Billy Donovan was 28 when he got started at Marshall. Coached two years there before landing the Florida job. Won 2 National Champions by the time he was 41.
April 4, 201313 yr Unproven is a matter of opinion. I disagree, but you're entitled. How does his age, in and of itself, enter into it? That's what I take issue with. True, I think people usually just use the two together because they can go hand and hand.
April 4, 201313 yr True, I think people usually just use the two together because they can go hand and hand. Only because most high major programs will cut the rope before you can truly grow into the job. There is no question a coach has a lot of growing to do at 30 years old. Will Ricky get the time, or will a different school get him closer to his real coaching comfort zone? Odds aren't good for the former unfortunately...
April 4, 201313 yr The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree. If you can coach, you can coach. Will he have the success of his dad? If he has half of that he'll have a career that 99% of the population w/in the college ranks could only dream of. Sure, they didn't make it to the NCAA tourney, but the first winning record the program has had in 10+ years says a lot more to me than what most probably take it as. I'm a fan of the coaches that bring home the hardware like all of us, but I'm just as much (if not more) of a fan of those coaches that do the most, with the least. I personally think Tubby got a raw deal. After all, it's Minnesota, where it's winter 10 months out of the year. But, if they were going to hire somebody, Richard is as good as they were probably going to get.
April 4, 201313 yr I believe Orlando Antigua, who is a great recruiter, would have been better. They hired a last name.
April 4, 201313 yr Richard is a very good recruiter. OR can scoff all he likes, but he was the assistant who primarily scouted opponents when he was here and by all accounts did a great job; I absolutely believe Rick when he says it was Richard's idea to move the pick and roll and commit to screening the screener. Part of the reason is that it seemed like the kind of solution to other teams' hard hedging (a problem thst has plagued our offense since the begining of Big East play) that only fresh eyes see. Another reason I believe is because he's been an assistant under Pitino and Donovan for years, and Donovan is a fantastic offensive mind. In fact, Richard runs his father's defense, but he runs Donovan's offense. As Harry Doyle mentioned, he took over an FIU program from Isaiah Thomas where the cupboard was bare and the basketball culture was toxic and had its first respectable season in a decade, and was a few possessions away from upsetting the Hilltoppers and earning an NCAA berth. If you ask me, the person blinded by his last name isn't the AD at Minnesota. It's you.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.