March 13, 201313 yr This season isn't over yet.... Regardless of what anyone does this season I can't imagine them having a better 4 year run than Kentucky. If Duke wins a NC then they have a legitimate argument, if not they don't IMO. The loss to Lehigh really hurts them there, same for UL and the Morehead loss.
March 13, 201313 yr Philosophically speaking, in what respect is he different from other coaches? He is able to get these kids, but that has nothing to do with the philosophy in it all. I guess you can say he is willing to take on more than 1 high caliber talent, but what "I am not buying for a second" is that other coaches would refuse to do the same. Oden and Conley are a good example. I do not think a coach would just say, "well, I could have both but would rather go with a guy that may stick around for a few years. I will take Anthony Davis but someone else can have MKG." That OSU class also had Daequan Cook (who was rated even higher than Conley coming out) and David Lighty. Not saying that those two are one and done types like you are talking about, but to prove your point Cal's not been the only one to ever try and bring in the most high level talent possible into one class.
March 13, 201313 yr I give up!!!!!!!!! :isurrender: No, don't give up! Nobody is mad. I think it is an interesting debate as to how other see the UK program. I want to hear your perspective on the subject. Now if you want to say, "bugatti, I have thought about and you are right," that I can accept
March 13, 201313 yr I don't see the program in a negative light at all and have no problem with with way Coach Cal recruits. I just don't think there are any coaches out there other than him that are trying to revamp the lineup every single year. Ben Howland is the closest I can think of with this past years recruiting class.
March 13, 201313 yr Regardless of what anyone does this season I can't imagine them having a better 4 year run than Kentucky. If Duke wins a NC then they have a legitimate argument, if not they don't IMO. The loss to Lehigh really hurts them there, same for UL and the Morehead loss. If Duke wins the NC there is no discussion. 2 titles in 4 years speaks for itself. What if Duke makes the Final Four or the NC title game this year? You can say the loss to Lehigh is bad but no Duke team was ever as bad as this year's UK team. UK is projected as a 12 seed. Say that again out loud.
March 13, 201313 yr If Duke wins the NC there is no discussion. 2 titles in 4 years speaks for itself. What if Duke makes the Final Four or the NC title game this year? You can say the loss to Lehigh is bad but no Duke team was ever as bad as this year's UK team. UK is projected as a 12 seed. Say that again out loud. Agreed.
March 13, 201313 yr Author Royal, I think your argument is a self-fulling prophesy. No other coaches are recruiting a whole new team each year because THEY CAN'T. They don't have multiple kids moving onto the NBA each season. The only way I think you would have a valid argument is if you truly believe Coach K or Coach Izzo or Coach whomever wouldn't take all of the kids UK has coming in next season. They would limit their selection to just a few because they don't want to overload a class. I don't believe that.
March 13, 201313 yr Royal, I think your argument is a self-fulling prophesy. No other coaches are recruiting a whole new team each year because THEY CAN'T. They don't have multiple kids moving onto the NBA each season. The only way I think you would have a valid argument is if you truly believe Coach K or Coach Izzo or Coach whomever wouldn't take all of the kids UK has coming in next season. They would limit their selection to just a few because they don't want to overload a class. I don't believe that. Why would they want to change the way they do things as it has been proven to be successful for them. Those are arguably two of the top programs in college basketball right now. Why is it so hard for some of you to believe that what Coach Cal does is not for every coach. Some coaches might actually like having a veteran team to put on the floor, whereas Coach Cal does not mind putting a young and talented team on the floor and rolling the dice. I think he likes the challange of getting all the talent and then trying to get them to gel together and play as a team. This years team has obviously not been the best at that but he has been pretty good at that the previous years. Losing Noel, sure didn't help but they were a little disfunctional even with him in there.
March 13, 201313 yr Elite 8 2 Final Fours 1 National Championship 1 Perfect SEC season No other team comes close in the last 3-4 years. The closest may have to be Butler just due to the back to back Final Fours. There's been a lot of parity in the game since Cal has took over at UK, but he has had them in the hunt for a Final Four every season except for this one. Duke UCONN UK have been your national champions in that time frame. Only UK has made it to more than one Final Four during the time period out of those NC's. You could argue Kansas and Ohio State have made some good runs, but no where near what Cal has done since arriving at UK. To expand upon those stats, since Cal's arrival at UK the Cats have to date gone 123-24 (83.6%), Duke is 119-21 (85.0%), UConn is 90-49 (64.7%) and since Bulter was mentioned they are 107-37 (74.3%). Butler did play in the CBI last year, so I would think that would take them out of consideration. Regardless of what anyone does this season I can't imagine them having a better 4 year run than Kentucky. If Duke wins a NC then they have a legitimate argument, if not they don't IMO. The loss to Lehigh really hurts them there, same for UL and the Morehead loss. If Duke wins it all this year, than in my opinion this is no argument, Duke would be hands down the best program over the past 4 seasons. Depending on how the NCAA tournament plays out, Duke very well may have an argument even without a title. It is quite possible that UK may get their Lehigh loss this year, if they even make the tournament. If Duke wins the NC there is no discussion. 2 titles in 4 years speaks for itself. What if Duke makes the Final Four or the NC title game this year? You can say the loss to Lehigh is bad but no Duke team was ever as bad as this year's UK team. UK is projected as a 12 seed. Say that again out loud. I agree. But in order to compensate for saying good things about Duke, I feel that I must point out that during the period being discussed, no Duke team was ever as good as last year's UK team.
March 13, 201313 yr ^ UK isn't going to get a Lehigh loss this year because they're not expected to do much if they even make the tournament (losing to Princeton in 2011 would have been comparable). That's what made Duke's loss last year so ugly-- a 2 vs. 15. But I agree with you on there not being a Duke team as good as last year's UK team.
March 13, 201313 yr I agree. But in order to compensate for saying good things about Duke, I feel that I must point out that during the period being discussed, no Duke team was ever as good as last year's UK team. Agreed. And for the record, I'd have taken Davis and MKG at Duke with Rivers last season just as quickly as Coach K would have. Word.
March 13, 201313 yr ^ UK isn't going to get a Lehigh loss this year because they're not expected to do much if they even make the tournament (losing to Princeton in 2011 would have been comparable). That's what made Duke's loss last year so ugly-- a 2 vs. 15. But I agree with you on there not being a Duke team as good as last year's UK team. UK is Lehigh this year.:lol::lol::wave::wave::lol::lol:
March 13, 201313 yr UK is Lehigh this year.:lol::lol::wave::wave::lol::lol: Lehigh won their game. We will have to wait and see which UK team shows up for the tourney.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.