Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Cal on Dan Patrick Show

Featured Replies

Nothing "against the grain" on this comment? Cal has repeatedly said he doesn't like the one & done rule (favors either the baseball rule or at least "straight to the pros or stay two years"), and has actively campaigned against it; but will not shy from recruiting the best talent (many who will be one & dones) until the rule changes. What college coach REALLY wants to coach a whole new team of high schoolers each year??

 

Don't hate the playa, hate the game.

  • Replies 57
  • Views 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I have said before, what irritates me the most are people act like Calipari is the only guy recruiting these "one-and-done" talents. No, he is just able to land them. Tell me any team would say "NO" to having Antony Davis or MKG on their team, even if it is for just one season.

I would guess most coaches don't want the turnover of players each year like Kentucky is going through with Calipari. Having basically a brand new team every year is not for everyone. I think it is funny hearing Coach Cal talk about how he doesn't like the one and done rule.

I would guess most coaches don't want the turnover of players each year like Kentucky is going through with Calipari. Having basically a brand new team every year is not for everyone. I think it is funny hearing Coach Cal talk about how he doesn't like the one and done rule.
I am not buying that for one second. If there is a replicated type turnover it is because of how elite the talent is and the proof is in the results. For the most part coaches target the best guys out there. No person wants to have a new team every year (with a bunch of scrubs), nor does Coach Cal. And I think what he has done thus far is the exception, not the rule. Of the guys he has brought in, I would say Wall, Knight, Davis, and MKG were the only sure fire talents thought to be on a one year ride. Cousins maybe. If anyone thought the trio of Bledsoe, Orton, and Teague would be one-and-done you need to submit your resume for an NBA GM job.
I am not buying that for one second. If there is a replicated type turnover it is because of how elite the talent is and the proof is in the results. For the most part coaches target the best guys out there. No person wants to have a new team every year (with a bunch of scrubs), nor does Coach Cal. And I think what he has done thus far is the exception, not the rule. Of the guys he has brought in, I would say Wall, Knight, Davis, and MKG were the only sure fire talents thought to be on a one year ride. Cousins maybe. If anyone thought the trio of Bledsoe, Orton, and Teague would be one-and-done you need to submit your resume for an NBA GM job.

 

You don't have to buy it, that is my opinion. There is no denying the talent that they have brought in since Cal has been the coach but as far as results, it has only worked once. I think it is pretty obvious Coach Cal has a different recruiting philosophy than say Coach K, Tom Izzo or Bill Self. Coach Cal is an elite recruiter and is good at what he does but his recruiting philosphy is different than most Division 1 coaches. Look at UK's roster turnover since Cal has been there, is there another team even close? I'd say odds are good that the Harrison twin, James Young, Marcus Lee and Dakari Johnson are all one and done players so maybe I will submit my resume for an NBA Gm job!

You don't have to buy it, that is my opinion. There is no denying the talent that they have brought in since Cal has been the coach but as far as results, it has only worked once. I think it is pretty obvious Coach Cal has a different recruiting philosophy than say Coach K, Tom Izzo or Bill Self. Coach Cal is an elite recruiter and is good at what he does but his recruiting philosphy is different than most Division 1 coaches. Look at UK's roster turnover since Cal has been there, is there another team even close? I'd say odds are good that the Harrison twin, James Young, Marcus Lee and Dakari Johnson are all one and done players so maybe I will submit my resume for an NBA Gm job!

 

Name a program with more success than UK since Cal arrived...

Name a program with more success than UK since Cal arrived...

 

 

Elite 8

2 Final Fours

1 National Championship

1 Perfect SEC season

 

 

No other team comes close in the last 3-4 years. The closest may have to be Butler just due to the back to back Final Fours. There's been a lot of parity in the game since Cal has took over at UK, but he has had them in the hunt for a Final Four every season except for this one.

 

Duke

UCONN

UK

 

have been your national champions in that time frame. Only UK has made it to more than one Final Four during the time period out of those NC's. You could argue Kansas and Ohio State have made some good runs, but no where near what Cal has done since arriving at UK.

Name a program with more success than UK since Cal arrived...

Zilch.

 

I still do not believe Cal's philosophy is "Identify guys that will be here for one season and figure it out." His philosophy is no different than any other coaches' philosophy in that they want guys that fit in to their system to help win games. Elite talent helps no matter who is coaching. Was Davis not being recruited by anyone else? Was MKG not being recruited by anyone else? What Calipari is different at is being outspoken in that it is not a shame to acknowledge the elephant in the room about declaring early. It is marketing ploy that he tabbed early and kids want to play for him because of it. Some of those guys make it for one season, others will be here for the duration.

Name a program with more success than UK since Cal arrived...

 

I am not denying the success UK has had since Cal has been here but with the one and done's, you only have one year to win with that team and those players, so it has only worked once. My whole point is Cal has a different recruiting philosphy than almost every other coach. So far at UK it is working well for him. I was not trying to start an argument or a debate with my original comment, I just don't think most coaches could handle Coach Cal's situation like Coach Cal handles it. I think he is a different cat!

I am not denying the success UK has had since Cal has been here but with the one and done's, you only have one year to win with that team and those players, so it has only worked once. My whole point is Cal has a different recruiting philosphy than almost every other coach. So far at UK it is working well for him. I was not trying to start an argument or a debate with my original comment, I just don't think most coaches could handle Coach Cal's situation like Coach Cal handles it. I think he is a different cat!

 

Recruit the best players. Period. Seems like the best philosophy to me.

Elite 8

2 Final Fours

1 National Championship

1 Perfect SEC season

 

 

No other team comes close in the last 3-4 years. The closest may have to be Butler just due to the back to back Final Fours. There's been a lot of parity in the game since Cal has took over at UK, but he has had them in the hunt for a Final Four every season except for this one.

 

Duke

UCONN

UK

 

have been your national champions in that time frame. Only UK has made it to more than one Final Four during the time period out of those NC's. You could argue Kansas and Ohio State have made some good runs, but no where near what Cal has done since arriving at UK.

This season isn't over yet....
Recruit the best players. Period. Seems like the best philosophy to me.

 

Not necessarily....I think you need to recruit the best players that fit your needs.

I guess we can agree to disagree, but I still think Cal's philophy is different. Coaches are recruiting to win games, which is the ultimate goal and once again coach Cal has done that and I have absolutly no problem with how he does it but Cal is essentially recruiting a new starting five every year. That is a little different than filling needs from the previous years roster which is what most coaches do.

I guess we can agree to disagree, but I still think Cal's philophy is different. Coaches are recruiting to win games, which is the ultimate goal and once again coach Cal has done that and I have absolutly no problem with how he does it but Cal is essentially recruiting a new starting five every year. That is a little different than filling needs from the previous years roster which is what most coaches do.

Philosophically speaking, in what respect is he different from other coaches? He is able to get these kids, but that has nothing to do with the philosophy in it all. I guess you can say he is willing to take on more than 1 high caliber talent, but what "I am not buying for a second" is that other coaches would refuse to do the same. Oden and Conley are a good example. I do not think a coach would just say, "well, I could have both but would rather go with a guy that may stick around for a few years. I will take Anthony Davis but someone else can have MKG."

Not necessarily....I think you need to recruit the best players that fit your needs.

 

True. It's funny how many of the same programs are in on the exact same guys at UK but when they all go to UK we are labeled as having a different recruiting philosophy? Give me a break.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.