February 2, 200620 yr Author Now here is a real good choice to be on this committee. He lived in the Kenton Cty School District. His father was Superintendent of the Ludlow Independent School District and he went to Highlands...for athletic reasons. Oh and he and his father want to change the school district that they currently live in from the Erlanger-Elsmere District to the Kenton Cty School District. Wasn't aware when they moved there what school district they had moved into. This coming from 2 career educators. It won't be hard to figure out what side of the issue he will be on.. Actually Draud is exactly someone who SHOULD be on this task force. As our fellow poster Ladiesbbcoach has pointed out this issue isn't limited to private vs public concerns only. It also involves open enrollment schools, independent school districts, and closed school districts. Who better to hear from than someone who lived in an open enrollment within the county district who did not attend there, whos father was the Super of an independent school district and did not go there, who then attended school at another independent school district and received a full scholly to an SEC school after attending there, and is now at a principal at yet another independent school district, and is trying to get streets changed from yet another independent school district? Shoot this one guy should be a font of information on many of the possible situations.
February 2, 200620 yr I am sure that Scott Draud didn't go to Highlands just for Basketball since he went to Vandy and did rather well for himself in the classroom at both Highlands and Vandy. BIGZIG, you wanted Scott to go to Ludlow, because Dad was the Superintendent of the school? Seems you got it in for the old man. :laugh: BTW have you ever heard of redistricting? Where I live, we have been in and out of Boone Co and Conner High Schools districts more times than I can remember in the last twenty three years. Nothing against the boy or his old man. As I've stated before Dr Draud was a very good Superintendent and I've always thought highly of him as a Super. Can't say I know Scott at all so I have no opinion either way about him. Sure he is a nice fellow. As for going to Highlands, don't kid yourself. He went to play for Kenny Shields. He could have went to Vandy had he went to Dixie and probably even if he had went to Ludlow for that matter because he was just that good and apparently very smart. Personally I could care less where he went to school. You would just think the good Dr would have thought highly enough of the district that he led to have sent his son there as an example of the type of good education you can receive at a small school such as Ludlow. As for redistricting I'm very aware of that sort of thing..In this particular case the only redistricting being done is what the Drauds are trying to do to serve their own interest. I'm sure that Private schools see Draud as someone who because of his going out of district to high school as an opponent of anything similar to Prop.20 and his father was quoted in the newspaper as being against it as well. Since you, old guy are a follower and supporter of a Private School I'm sure you are pleased to see someone such as Scott Draud on this task force even though he works for a public school.
February 2, 200620 yr Actually Draud is exactly someone who SHOULD be on this task force. As our fellow poster Ladiesbbcoach has pointed out this issue isn't limited to private vs public concerns only. It also involves open enrollment schools, independent school districts, and closed school districts. Who better to hear from than someone who lived in an open enrollment within the county district who did not attend there, whos father was the Super of an independent school district and did not go there, who then attended school at another independent school district and received a full scholly to an SEC school after attending there, and is now at a principal at yet another independent school district, and is trying to get streets changed from yet another independent school district? Shoot this one guy should be a font of information on many of the possible situations. As I stated in my post to the oldguy, Draud is exactly the type of public school official all Private school supporters would hope to have on this task force representing the Public schools interest. I don't blame you at all for thinking he was a good choice. Hey, if I was on the same side of the issue as all you private supporters I would want someone like him on the task force. Well I must be off. I can feel you guys starting to circle the wagons on this issue and it just may be BigZigs last stand. for tonight anyway.
February 2, 200620 yr Anybody could send their children to Catholic High Schools. They just have to also send them to Catholic grade schools also. If being Catholic is the #1 reason for sending them to private schools, then how come so many students who attend private schools attended public grade schools? If the public grade school was good enough then you can't tell me the public high school is not good enough also. If you want to go to private high school, then go to private grade school. If you want to go to public high school, then go to public grade school. Sounds simple enough to me! Why do you have to link grade school (I am sorry - I mean 'athletic feeder school') to high school. For some it make sense to private feeder school and public high schools for others it make sense the other way. There is no compeling argument for the this feeder school system approach except by ADs and coaches. It is a non-starter with all parents. Every single parent, without exception and without regard to their supposed allegence of schools, is dead set AGAINST this craziness. MOST parents do not even know what the KHSAA is until their children get to high school. How many are going to know what 'rules' this organization has before they start breaking them when their children are still 3 years away from HS. Only those those that must not have children fail to see the absolute abomination of a 2 year ban on atheletics for those who want educational options for their children.
February 2, 200620 yr Nothing against the boy or his old man. As I've stated before Dr Draud was a very good Superintendent and I've always thought highly of him as a Super. Can't say I know Scott at all so I have no opinion either way about him. Sure he is a nice fellow. As for going to Highlands, don't kid yourself. He went to play for Kenny Shields. He could have went to Vandy had he went to Dixie and probably even if he had went to Ludlow for that matter because he was just that good and apparently very smart. Personally I could care less where he went to school. You would just think the good Dr would have thought highly enough of the district that he led to have sent his son there as an example of the type of good education you can receive at a small school such as Ludlow. As for redistricting I'm very aware of that sort of thing..In this particular case the only redistricting being done is what the Drauds are trying to do to serve their own interest. I'm sure that Private schools see Draud as someone who because of his going out of district to high school as an opponent of anything similar to Prop.20 and his father was quoted in the newspaper as being against it as well. Since you, old guy are a follower and supporter of a Private School I'm sure you are pleased to see someone such as Scott Draud on this task force even though he works for a public school. Comeon BIGZIG in your first sentcence you say". Can't say I know Scott at all so I have no opinion either way about him". Then you go on to say "don't kid yourself. He went to play for Kenny Shields". How can you make these two statements and be honest with me, or this forum? As far as Scott going to Ludlow, under the proposed system, no teacher/employee child had better be allowed to play if that child didn't go to the feeder middle school of that high school! What is good for one is good for all, and you had better be ready for the KEA to scream if they don't allow their kids to go where their parents want them to.
February 2, 200620 yr I understand that, and it is not the indivdual public school's problem. They are contrained by laws and regulations. What I'm saying is that many parents choose a private school knowing that the school won't "take any guff" from the students and their parents. Rules are set and are followed and if not consequences will follow. Students are expected to act and learn in a certain way. To many parents that is just as important as the actual classroom instruction in a faith. It should be to all but it is not. Also, another reason why comparing the results of private/public doesn't work. They are two different beasts. BOTH are desparately needed but they are different. The mindset that surrounds the two are unfortunately different.
February 2, 200620 yr All these meetings that the KHSAA and BOE and now court systems is just stall tactics. Seems sad to me, nobody has the cahoneys to resolve these issues and get on with things. A large number of the member schools spoke out but they don't want to seem to listen to that, :confused:
February 2, 200620 yr Comeon BIGZIG in your first sentcence you say". Can't say I know Scott at all so I have no opinion either way about him". Then you go on to say "don't kid yourself. He went to play for Kenny Shields". How can you make these two statements and be honest with me, or this forum? As far as Scott going to Ludlow, under the proposed system, no teacher/employee child had better be allowed to play if that child didn't go to the feeder middle school of that high school! What is good for one is good for all, and you had better be ready for the KEA to scream if they don't allow their kids to go where their parents want them to. :flame: : I have no opinion of him one way or another on a personal level. As I stated previously do not know him. Having watched his father run a school district he was always a pretty slick politician. As a politician he has become very transparent. Any move he makes is for whatever serves him and his best IMO. As for being honest with you and this forum well believe what you want. Apparently you have made yourself the conscious of this thread. As far as this and any forum I still like to think that they are all open to a variety of thoughts and opinions and not just those that agree with the side you happen to be on and as far as this topic is concerned we know exactly where you stand. :ylsuper:
February 2, 200620 yr All these meetings that the KHSAA and BOE and now court systems is just stall tactics. Seems sad to me, nobody has the cahoneys to resolve these issues and get on with things. A large number of the member schools spoke out but they don't want to seem to listen to that, :confused: :thumb: Just make things fair across the board. Why is everyone trying to make this more difficult then it is? Same rules for all schools. Whats not to understand? How many people are on that task force again anyway? About 25 more then is needed.
February 2, 200620 yr :thumb: Just make things fair across the board. Why is everyone trying to make this more difficult then it is? Same rules for all schools. Whats not to understand? How many people are on that task force again anyway? About 25 more then is needed. Uh oh. You are going to be called out for this.
February 2, 200620 yr :thumb: Just make things fair across the board. Why is everyone trying to make this more difficult then it is? Same rules for all schools. Whats not to understand? How many people are on that task force again anyway? About 25 more then is needed. Yeah, you are right, same rules for all schools, seems simple enough, now they are telling the schools to resolve the issue. Why the heck do we even need KHSAA or a BOE anyway if they aren't going to do anything about this kind of stuff?
February 2, 200620 yr :thumb: Just make things fair across the board. Why is everyone trying to make this more difficult then it is? Same rules for all schools. Whats not to understand? How many people are on that task force again anyway? About 25 more then is needed. I have asked this question several times and I have yet to get an answer. Will someone please cite the KHSAA rule that is not the same for all schools? I have yet to find one.
February 2, 200620 yr Uh oh. You are going to be called out for this. No doubt.. What am I thinking? Can't imagine everyone playing by the same rules. Foolish idea..
February 2, 200620 yr No doubt.. What am I thinking? Can't imagine everyone playing by the same rules. Foolish idea.. Please see above post.
February 2, 200620 yr No doubt.. What am I thinking? Can't imagine everyone playing by the same rules. Foolish idea.. What examples can you give that demonstrate there are separate rules today? BTW - you can find the 2005-2006 KHSAA Handbook at http://www.khsaa.org/. I have a feeling you have not reviewed them yet.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.