Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Latest Update from the KHSAA 1/25

Featured Replies

  • Author
Please note that BZ said more and more and not ALL. There are great parents out there that academics is first choice. There are great parents out there that academics and athletics are a part of the equation. And there are parents out there that athletics is the first choice.

 

Agree with the "more and more and not all" statement. However, how does this proposal (or any other) change the mindset of those parents. And aren't they within their rights as parents to decide a school on whatever criteria they wish?

  • Replies 155
  • Views 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Please note that BZ said more and more and not ALL. There are great parents out there that academics is first choice. There are great parents out there that academics and athletics are a part of the equation. And there are parents out there that athletics is the first choice.

:thumb:

Agree with the "more and more and not all" statement. However, how does this proposal (or any other) change the mindset of those parents. And aren't they within their rights as parents to decide a school on whatever criteria they wish?

 

Parents should have every right to use whatever criteria they wish for their child's education. That does not mean that they should be able to exploit a privilege of playing in HS sports.

 

If a school wishes to have an athletic powerhouse by drawing from 3 or 4 counties, don't ask them to compete against schools that stick with their community and are educating and fielding teams with students in their communities.

 

That is what Prop 20 is saying. It is saying privates draw from where you want. Serve your mission. But privates and publics are different and we are not expecting each to compete against each.

 

Sticky would just say I am repeating what I have said 1,000 times on here already. ;)

  • Author
Parents should have every right to use whatever criteria they wish for their child's education. That does not mean that they should be able to exploit a privilege of playing in HS sports.

 

If a school wishes to have an athletic powerhouse by drawing from 3 or 4 counties, don't ask them to compete against schools that stick with their community and are educating and fielding teams with students in their communities.

 

That is what Prop 20 is saying. It is saying privates draw from where you want. Serve your mission. But privates and publics are different and we are not expecting each to compete against each.

 

Sticky would just say I am repeating what I have said 1,000 times on here already. ;)

 

Again how does the compromise proposals, not Prop 20, level anything given the compromise proposals will probably hurt more public school students than private school students.

 

The majority of parents that are choosing a school based on their athletic programs will continue to do so and the only difference is they may have to do so at an earlier age. All that does is allow Johnny or Susie additional years of learning the "system" instead of just four years.

I have no idea, from a public school perspective, how many parents who have a choice choose a school based upon athletics over academics. But, I will say that from a Private school perspecitve, athletics is NOT the reason 99% of the families choose their respective schools. If I had ever felt my son's academics would not be top notch, along with him playing in a disciplined athletic program, he wouldn't have attended Trinity. Thankfully, Private schools offer top notch academics as well. Then, add the faith-based element, and there simply is no comparison. There's so much to be said for the environment of Private schools as it relates to their success in every area of a child's high school experience.

 

A child's educational experience should be paramount and the decision deserves every bit as much consideration at the high school level as the college level. Imagine if one had to make the decision about which college to attend in your Sophomore year (roughly equivilant to making the decision in your 6th grade year). Imagine that.....

Again how does the compromise proposals, not Prop 20, level anything given the compromise proposals will probably hurt more public school students than private school students.

 

The majority of parents that are choosing a school based on their athletic programs will continue to do so and the only difference is they may have to do so at an earlier age. All that does is allow Johnny or Susie additional years of learning the "system" instead of just four years.

Not sure it does. I do not think the adults involved are looking to solve the problem but are looking to find a compromise that they can live with, not necessarily, solve the problem.

  • Author
Not sure it does. I do not think the adults involved are looking to solve the problem but are looking to find a compromise that they can live with, not necessarily, solve the problem.

 

Then what's the point?

 

They are going to enact "rules" that will effect thousands of KY students and their families, they are not leveling anything or solving anything, and it will only be a matter of time before more "rules" are added or these "rules" will be taken to court.

 

And these people are who we want to teach the youth of the state????

I have no idea, from a public school perspective, how many parents who have a choice choose a school based upon athletics over academics. But, I will say that from a Private school perspecitve, athletics is NOT the reason 99% of the families choose their respective schools. If I had ever felt my son's academics would not be top notch, along with him playing in a disciplined athletic program, he wouldn't have attended Trinity. Thankfully, Private schools offer top notch academics as well. Then, add the faith-based element, and there simply is no comparison. There's so much to be said for the environment of Private schools as it relates to their success in every area of a child's high school experience.

 

A child's educational experience should be paramount and the decision deserves every bit as much consideration at the high school level as the college level. Imagine if one had to make the decision about which college to attend in your Sophomore year (roughly equivilant to making the decision in your 6th grade year). Imagine that.....

I guess where the misconception comes into play is that I believed that someone attended a private faith-based school based on that faith. I don't understand the concept of not being Catholic, not interested in being Catholic and having your child attend a Catholic school.

 

So, I believe a lot of people see a person attending a faith-based private school because of their faith, #1 reason. I am hearing you say that is not the #1 reason for most attending a private school? Part of the equation but not the #1 reason.

Not sure it does. I do not think the adults involved are looking to solve the problem but are looking to find a compromise that they can live with, not necessarily, solve the problem.

 

 

I wonder what will be next, if Prop 20 somehow does pass, or one of the comprimises is accepted and Private schools are still successful, and a select group of public schools take over as perennial championship crowns?

 

I also wonder what this will do to private grade schools....could we see an increase in enrollment by parents who originally planned to send their kids to private high schools, but had planned on saving their money first?

Then what's the point?

 

They are going to enact "rules" that will effect thousands of KY students and their families, they are not leveling anything or solving anything, and it will only be a matter of time before more "rules" are added or these "rules" will be taken to court.

 

And these people are who we want to teach the youth of the state????

The task force are not the ones that did Prop 20. Those people had a clear choice on what route they thought needed to be taken to solve the problem. Not expecting two different school types to compete for postseason honors.

 

The Board of Control and the Board of Education were the ones who changed things.

 

Public School teachers will tell you that Frankfort doesn't know much about educating the youth of KY. They know alot about asking teachers to prepare 100 page manuals to set on a shelf in Frankfort but not alot about being in the classroom.

I wonder what will be next, if Prop 20 somehow does pass, or one of the comprimises is accepted and Private schools are still successful, and a select group of public schools take over as perennial championship crowns?

 

I also wonder what this will do to private grade schools....could we see an increase in enrollment by parents who originally planned to send their kids to private high schools, but had planned on saving their money first?

If they make this classification, I believe it will be easier to see a size classification down the road.

 

Or a decrease because they cannot afford all those years. At least for those that what you posted above does not fall true for them.

I guess where the misconception comes into play is that I believed that someone attended a private faith-based school based on that faith. I don't understand the concept of not being Catholic, not interested in being Catholic and having your child attend a Catholic school.

 

So, I believe a lot of people see a person attending a faith-based private school because of their faith, #1 reason. I am hearing you say that is not the #1 reason for most attending a private school? Part of the equation but not the #1 reason.

 

 

I believe it's an extremely important part of the decision, but I'll be honest...if the school offered faith based, sub-par academics, I would have to place my child in a school that met the academic criteria we required. Thankfully, the faith-based educational choices that I'm aware of are second to none (excepting Manual), academically...so the decision becomes a no-brainer.

 

But, faith-based education is not about teaching Catechism. It's about teaching young men and women in the application of faith-based values in their everyday lives. The principles include personal responsibility, discipline, honesty and integrity. It's not about teaching a "religion". It's about teaching the curicuulum in a way that reflect a tradition of faith-based values. I know of several students who are not Catholic, but are involved in their respective Protestant & Jewish communities.

I believe it's an extremely important part of the decision, but I'll be honest...if the school offered faith based, sub-par academics, I would have to place my child in a school that met the academic criteria we required. Thankfully, the faith-based educational choices that I'm aware of are second to none (excepting Manual), academically...so the decision becomes a no-brainer.

 

But, faith-based education is not about teaching Catechism. It's about teaching young men and women in the application of faith-based values in their everyday lives. The principles include personal responsibility, discipline, honesty and integrity. It's not about teaching a "religion". It's about teaching the curicuulum in a way that reflect a tradition of faith-based values. I know of several students who are not Catholic, but are involved in their respective Protestant & Jewish communities.

I believe that would surprise people. I would say most people think you attend a Catholic school, you are Catholic.

I believe that would surprise people. I would say most people think you attend a Catholic school, you are Catholic.

 

 

Well, what does that say about the thousands of Catholic kids in Public schools? :lol:

 

It's not an exclusive club! :D

  • Author
The task force are not the ones that did Prop 20. Those people had a clear choice on what route they thought needed to be taken to solve the problem. Not expecting two different school types to compete for postseason honors.

 

The Board of Control and the Board of Education were the ones who changed things.

 

Public School teachers will tell you that Frankfort doesn't know much about educating the youth of KY. They know alot about asking teachers to prepare 100 page manuals to set on a shelf in Frankfort but not alot about being in the classroom.

 

The Prop 20 authors are just as bad for the youth of KY. IMO their message was "vote to separate based on whatever perceptions we can come up with, and once that happens we will use that to get concessions." Great negotiating tactics but not a great message to youth and when discussing their future.

 

The BOC and BOE I agree are just as clueless as to how to properly accomplish things.

 

Once again maybe we ought to check in with Mississippi since they seem to be the only state that messes things up as much as KY.

 

God forbid if the politicians of the state of KY get involved. They might even be more clueless.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.