Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Deaf Twins Going Blind Euthanized

Featured Replies

  • Replies 43
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Absolutely! We are sliding down a very slippery slope when people start debating whether a particular life has value or if letting a person survive might be too "inconvenient" for their family or society. Before long we're putting price tags on people's heads' date=' and decisions are being made based on expediancy rather than regard for the sanctity of human life. There is a place for compassion in the last days of life. But choosing where that point lies for someone else is inhumane. And deciding whether an innocent soul is worth saving is absolutely barbaric.[/quote']

 

From how I read this article, they made the decision for themselves. That's where I draw the line.

That was HER choice.
Yikes.
That was HER choice.

 

Yikes.

 

I don't believe SportsGuy meant being blind and deaf were HER choice, but rather the choice to learn was HER choice. I'm not sure if that is right, either. She just had an aggressive teacher.

I don't believe SportsGuy meant being blind and deaf were HER choice, but rather the choice to learn was HER choice. I'm not sure if that is right, either. She just had an aggressive teacher.
Thanks, yes I meant it the way you said, I find it hard to believe she had a choice in being blind and deaf. It's one thing to be born deaf and blind, it's another lose one to be both later in life. Disabilities are different. No one can say "I know what you are going through, and you will live and there is nothing you can do about it". No, no one knows what they are going through or what they feel unless they themselves are going through it as well. Now, I am not saying that all people should just committ suicide for just any disability.
WOW! This is tough to decide where I stand. Deaf' date=' and then going blind, can't see how they would function at all, one or the other, fine, but both?[/quote']

 

Not saying anything about euthanasia....but Helen Keller was both blind and deaf.

  • Author

There is a difference between euthanasia and assisted suicide. Assisted suicide - the doctor gives you want you need to take your own life. Euthanasia - the doctor does it for you. I have a problem with both. However, that's me. Regardless, I wanted to make that clear so that we don't interchange the words. In the U.S., assisted suicide is allowed in some circumstances. Euthanasia is still illegal. Be careful of the kind of society that we hope to have in this country in the future. We might get our wishes. There are been plenty of sci-fi books and movies created about this topic. Scary stuff.

Thanks, yes I meant it the way you said, I find it hard to believe she had a choice in being blind and deaf. It's one thing to be born deaf and blind, it's another lose one to be both later in life. Disabilities are different. No one can say "I know what you are going through, and you will live and there is nothing you can do about it". No, no one knows what they are going through or what they feel unless they themselves are going through it as well. Now, I am not saying that all people should just committ suicide for just any disability.
All life is precious. Did you know there are people who are completely "frozen" in place -- who can do nothing more than blink their eyes -- who have exclaimed their own joy in being alive? Have you had the opportunity to listen to a talk given by Nick Vujicic? If not, I invite you to watch this video:

 

 

Helen Keller

 

Helen Adams Keller was an American author, political activist, and lecturer. She was the first deaf and blind person to earn a Bachelor of Arts degree.

 

 

[TABLE=class: kno-fs ts]

[TR]

[TD]Born: June 27, 1880, Tuscumbia

Died: June 1, 1968, Easton

Parents: Arthur H. Keller, Kate Adams Keller

Education: Radcliffe College (1900 – 1904)

Wright-Humason School for the Deaf (1894 – 1896)

Perkins School for the Blind

Horace Mann School for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing

The Cambridge School of Weston

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

All life is precious. Did you know there are people who are completely "frozen" in place -- who can do nothing more than blink their eyes -- who have exclaimed their own joy in being alive? Have you had the opportunity to listen to a talk given by Nick Vujicic? If not, I invite you to watch this video:

 

 

As I said in my first post in this thread "This is tough to decide where I stand." As well as saying I am not in their shoes, neither is anyone on this board, so we can't say we know exactly what they are going through, as we don't know. I have a problem with people being forced to stay alive when they don't want to, if you don't allow them to do it a peaceful way, they will find another way to do it themselves.

All life has a purpose, believe it or not. We're all children of the lord; when he says it's time, it's time.

Fact: The 45 yr old twins had a cup of coffee with their family then WALKED away to be put to death.

 

Opinion: They were pressured by their family and doctor. Life was about to become more difficult for them and for their families, so just call it a day. I hope the family has some big regrets for this decision. I hope they are haunted by this for the rest of their lives!

Fact: The 45 yr old twins had a cup of coffee with their family then WALKED away to be put to death.

 

Opinion: They were pressured by their family and doctor. Life was about to become more difficult for them and for their families, so just call it a day. I hope the family has some big regrets for this decision. I hope they are haunted by this for the rest of their lives!

That's not fair. We do not know that the family pressured them to do this. However if I was the doctor, I could not live with myself after killing a viable human being.

That's not fair. We do not know that the family pressured them to do this. However if I was the doctor, I could not live with myself after killing a viable human being.

That's why I prefaced it with "opinion". It's mine and does not have to be fair.

That's why I prefaced it with "opinion". It's mine and does not have to be fair.

 

Opinions don't have to be blind (an unfortunate, unintended pun, in this situation), though. What you said is pretty harsh. Is it possible that members of their family tried to talk them out of going through with it? For me, it's one of those areas in which I can't form an opinion because I don't know enough facts.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.