Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Deaf Twins Going Blind Euthanized

Featured Replies

Just saw this article about what is common place in Belgium. This really bothers me. What may concern me more is to read the comments associated with the article; namely, that many believe that this practice is coming to the U.S. soon as part of Obamacare and that many are actually looking forward it!

 

Deaf Twins Going Blind Euthanized

  • Replies 43
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW! This is tough to decide where I stand. Deaf, and then going blind, can't see how they would function at all, one or the other, fine, but both?

  • Author

I was debating where to start this thread...here or in the "Religion, Ethics, or Philosophy" area. Maybe I picked the wrong one. Whatever happened to all people have value regardless of disability or what life throws at them? Is Dr. Kevorkian mainstream now? God help us.

WOW! This is tough to decide where I stand. Deaf, and then going blind, can't see how they would function at all, one or the other, fine, but both?

 

One can function (see Hellen Keller), but at what cost to other friends and family? Plus having to know you are causing them that burden because of your ailments. I am not taking a position on this subject one way or another, but I certainly understand their rationale.

Whatever happened to all people have value regardless of disability or what life throws at them? Is Dr. Kevorkian mainstream now? God help us.

 

I read the article as the twins making the choice to be euthanized. Where was there any discussion of value? While I'm no fan of suicide, I can understand why people don't want to live any longer. Were they pressured into this decision? It didn't seem like so, and the family being with them almost made it seem like a peaceful situation, not unlike a person choosing to be disconnected from a ventilator.

I was debating where to start this thread...here or in the "Religion, Ethics, or Philosophy" area. Maybe I picked the wrong one. Whatever happened to all people have value regardless of disability or what life throws at them? Is Dr. Kevorkian mainstream now? God help us.
I don't see this as a discussion of value. It sounds like they decided for themselves that this was not a life they wanted to live.
I don't see this as a discussion of value. It sounds like they decided for themselves that this was not a life they wanted to live.

 

Or a life for their family to live/endure.

  • Author
I don't see this as a discussion of value. It sounds like they decided for themselves that this was not a life they wanted to live.

 

I respectfully disagree. It is all about their perception of the value of their lives. The Belgium laws agree with that perception and allowed the euthanasia to proceed. The fear is that government will become involved in determining that point of when euthanasia is OK or not in individual cases.

Whatever happened to all people have value regardless of disability or what life throws at them?
That's easily said when one is not the person with the disability. What about dignity and compassion? As one comment on there said, make them want to live Vs forcing them to live.
That's easily said when one is not the person with the disability. What about dignity and compassion? As one comment on there said, make them want to live Vs forcing them to live.

So any disability is a justified reason for a doctor to help patients with suicide?

Where do we draw the line?

 

I'm sorry I don't agree. If they needed life intervening treatment to survive, and they decided they wanted it to be withheld, I could agree with the dignity and compassion. However, this was assisted suicide, plain and simple.

I don't see this as a discussion of value. It sounds like they decided for themselves that this was not a life they wanted to live.

 

Not to be argumentative, but how is this different than someone who is a paraplegic? Even someone with mood disorders? If they decide the life is not one they want to live, should medical care be dispensed to help them end their life opposed to better it?

WOW! This is tough to decide where I stand. Deaf, and then going blind, can't see how they would function at all, one or the other, fine, but both?
Tell thet to Helen Keller.
So any disability is a justified reason for a doctor to help patients with suicide?

Where do we draw the line?

 

I'm sorry I don't agree. If they needed life intervening treatment to survive, and they decided they wanted it to be withheld, I could agree with the dignity and compassion. However, this was assisted suicide, plain and simple.

Absolutely! We are sliding down a very slippery slope when people start debating whether a particular life has value or if letting a person survive might be too "inconvenient" for their family or society. Before long we're putting price tags on people's heads, and decisions are being made based on expediancy rather than regard for the sanctity of human life. There is a place for compassion in the last days of life. But choosing where that point lies for someone else is inhumane. And deciding whether an innocent soul is worth saving is absolutely barbaric.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.