Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

HOW MANY PITCHES

Featured Replies

Yea...now that your arm is dragging behind you...:lol:

  • Replies 93
  • Views 14.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing against the younger guys. I too remember being fearless and invincible. But I think much differently now.
...I think we all have felt that way, one time or other.

 

I've seen games where a pitcher was on, through minimal pitches on average (6-9) per inning and in a 7 inning game, that could be 65-75 and it would an excellent number....some youth and high school pitchers, feel that every out is not effective, unless it is a "K" and that is certainly not true.

 

Minimal number of pitches, will allow the arm to recover quickly.

Best inning in baseball for a pitcher is three groundouts. Most guys think it's 3 strikeouts.

 

GoHerd... I know where you live.

One thing I see as a big problem with shoulder injuries, and not just in pitchers, is that many strength programs do little or no back work. Ignoring the back muscles, especially the rhomboids and trapezius, is just setting a kid up to have shoulder problems. The two muscles mentioned stabilize the scapula (shoulder blade) during movement. All four rotator cuff muscles attach to the scapula. If the scapula is not held steady during the throwing motion, there will be significant mechanical breakdowns. If the scapula is not held in place and is allowed to slide forward due to muscular imbalances, parts of it will begin to pinch muscles and tendons that run through the joint space. This is one area that you need to be sure you work to avoid setting yourself up for problems down the road.

Best inning in baseball for a pitcher is three groundouts. Most guys think it's 3 strikeouts.

 

GoHerd... I know where you live.

 

:scared:

 

Now I have to move again... :irked:

One thing I see as a big problem with shoulder injuries, and not just in pitchers, is that many strength programs do little or no back work. Ignoring the back muscles, especially the rhomboids and trapezius, is just setting a kid up to have shoulder problems. The two muscles mentioned stabilize the scapula (shoulder blade) during movement. All four rotator cuff muscles attach to the scapula. If the scapula is not held steady during the throwing motion, there will be significant mechanical breakdowns. If the scapula is not held in place and is allowed to slide forward due to muscular imbalances, parts of it will begin to pinch muscles and tendons that run through the joint space. This is one area that you need to be sure you work to avoid setting yourself up for problems down the road.

 

Your exactly right. And what do teenage boys what to do when they lift. Get a bigger chest and of course biceps. The problem is if they do not work the back equally with the chest then the back muscles tey to compensate causing first control problems then eventually shoulder problems.

Another thing the kids don't think of is if they work the scapular stabilizers more, they will gain more strength in the rotator cuff due to improved efficiency. More strength in the rotator cuff should get you a couple of mph's on your fastball...

One thing I see as a big problem with shoulder injuries, and not just in pitchers, is that many strength programs do little or no back work. Ignoring the back muscles, especially the rhomboids and trapezes, is just setting a kid up to have shoulder problems. The two muscles mentioned stabilize the scapula (shoulder blade) during movement. All four rotator cuff muscles attach to the scapula. If the scapula is not held steady during the throwing motion, there will be significant mechanical breakdowns. If the scapula is not held in place and is allowed to slide forward due to muscular imbalances, parts of it will begin to pinch muscles and tendons that run through the joint space. This is one area that you need to be sure you work to avoid setting yourself up for problems down the road.
... :thumb:

 

Your exactly right. And what do teenage boys what to do when they lift. Get a bigger chest and of course biceps. The problem is if they do not work the back equally with the chest then the back muscles try to compensate causing first control problems then eventually shoulder problems.
... :thumb:

 

Great advice on both.

I will have to say, Strike 3 knows what he is talking about and it seems that we could all learn a little something from him. Thanks for the info! :ylsuper:

I'd say until he is tired myself.. ofcourse being a pitcher I have never been a fan of the pitch count.

I will have to say, Strike 3 knows what he is talking about and it seems that we could all learn a little something from him. Thanks for the info! :ylsuper:
Thanks for the compliment very much and many other very good posts on this subject, plus pure Baseball fans like me....

 

We all just have to offer the experience and information we have, to help every player get a little better.

I'd say until he is tired myself.. ofcourse being a pitcher I have never been a fan of the pitch count.

 

I forget who it was, but it was a pitcher for the Braves who said that his success could be attributed to the work of Bobby Cox and Leo Mazzone. It may have been Greg Maddux, after playing in Chicago. Anyway, he was surprised that the coaches asked him how he felt, and if he could continue to pitch instead of yanking him at the first sign of trouble. The Braves' Coaches feel like nobody knows the pitcher better than him or herself. Personally, I agree with this; however, the problem is that in high school, many pitchers do not realize when they're tired.

 

It takes a great deal of trust on behalf of the coaches, and a great deal of maturity on hte part of the pitcher to take himself out of the game, and it was something that I always struggled with as well.

On the first page of post, there were some statements made by in general the younger guys, so I stated my thoughts and left for a couple days. Upon my return, I was happy to see several intelligent post by the experienced posters.

 

Nothing against the younger guys. I too remember being fearless and invincible. But I think much differently now.

I've been here as long as you have and made many more posts. I dont post unless its worthwhile and ask around, I think most people realize I know what I'm talking about when it comes to basketball, baseball, and golf. Just because you dont agree with it, doesn't make yours right, and it doesnt make mine right. Its a thought you need to take into consideration though. I wouldnt throw it out there if I didnt believe it in some way.

BTW, I'll have you guys know, my arm is still fine. I feel like I could probably still throw 5 innings or so in a game, and QB a couple of flag football teams in the fall. This arm is going nowhere.

Well I was pitcher in high school and it was hard for me to go over about 65-70 pitches, but i had a long throw brung it way back. I Just think if it is hard for a major league pitcher to go over a 100 then a high school pitcher should never go over 80 pitches in a game IMO.

I've been here as long as you have and made many more posts. I dont post unless its worthwhile and ask around, I think most people realize I know what I'm talking about when it comes to basketball, baseball, and golf. Just because you dont agree with it, doesn't make yours right, and it doesnt make mine right. Its a thought you need to take into consideration though. I wouldnt throw it out there if I didnt believe it in some way.

BTW, I'll have you guys know, my arm is still fine. I feel like I could probably still throw 5 innings or so in a game, and QB a couple of flag football teams in the fall. This arm is going nowhere.

 

Maybe you missed the "nothing against the younger guys" comment. My post was actually directed to Strike3. Because you've got more post and have been on here longer means what? How about nothing. I know I've been involved in baseball longer than you've been alive. I'm glad you place a lot of thought into your post and you're right, you're allowed to have your own opinion and we will just have to disagree about your comments.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.