Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Favorite KY Bourbons

Featured Replies

Got a bachelor party this weekend; thinking about going with a 1.75 of Buffalo Trace. Not trying to break the bank or anything, but does anyone have any suggestions? Looking to spend $50-60.

 

Worth noting that a lot of these guys are beginning to ease into the bourbon world. I thought BT would be good for people just getting into the game, but want the input of others and their experiences with hosting to see what was liked and disliked.

 

Old Forrester would be my recommendation.

  • Replies 387
  • Views 70.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Got a bachelor party this weekend; thinking about going with a 1.75 of Buffalo Trace. Not trying to break the bank or anything, but does anyone have any suggestions? Looking to spend $50-60.

 

Worth noting that a lot of these guys are beginning to ease into the bourbon world. I thought BT would be good for people just getting into the game, but want the input of others and their experiences with hosting to see what was liked and disliked.

 

Benchmark is a Buffalo Trace Bourbon.

 

From their site:

 

Benchmark

80 Proof “Rye Recipe” Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey

This whiskey is medium amber in color, with a nose that bears caramel notes and a delicate stone-fruit backdrop. The body is medium and the palate is robust and sturdy, with some fine leather notes mingling with dry tobacco, a touch of oak and a hint of dried cherries. The finish is smooth and medium in length.

 

Best Buy, Wine Enthusiast Magazine

Wine Enthusiast rating: 90

 

Gold Medal and Trophy Winner, 2000 International Spirits Challenge

I posted this in another thread, 1792 is my least favorite bourbon.

 

I know I keep beating this drum but I really like Benchmark. I like it more than just about ever expensive bourbon too.

 

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38971[/ATTACH]

Really? Not that far off from Woodford for me.
Really? Not that far off from Woodford for me.

 

I am so so on Woodford.

  • Author
Benchmark is a Buffalo Trace Bourbon.

 

From their site:

 

Benchmark

80 Proof “Rye Recipe” Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey

This whiskey is medium amber in color, with a nose that bears caramel notes and a delicate stone-fruit backdrop. The body is medium and the palate is robust and sturdy, with some fine leather notes mingling with dry tobacco, a touch of oak and a hint of dried cherries. The finish is smooth and medium in length.

 

Best Buy, Wine Enthusiast Magazine

Wine Enthusiast rating: 90

 

Gold Medal and Trophy Winner, 2000 International Spirits Challenge

 

I left before you posted this. I went with Wild Turkey 101. I like it, plus its 101 proof. Guaranteed to get even the biggest of the crew acting a little funny.

Really? Not that far off from Woodford for me.

 

I agree. I like Woodford and took a liking to 1792.

 

I think they have 'less bite' than most and can do well neat or on the rocks without a splash.

Got a bachelor party this weekend; thinking about going with a 1.75 of Buffalo Trace. Not trying to break the bank or anything, but does anyone have any suggestions? Looking to spend $50-60.

 

Worth noting that a lot of these guys are beginning to ease into the bourbon world. I thought BT would be good for people just getting into the game, but want the input of others and their experiences with hosting to see what was liked and disliked.

 

Get smaller quantities and mix it up.

 

If they are starting out using the popular but non-premium brands may work. Makers, Woodford Reserve and 101 is a good sampling kit for starters. Beginners are not going to appreciate a single barrel over a blend, etc. If they wimp out and start using mixers keep some cheaper stuff at hand. No sense letting good single barrel get mixed with Coke.

I left before you posted this. I went with Wild Turkey 101. I like it, plus its 101 proof. Guaranteed to get even the biggest of the crew acting a little funny.

 

I really like Wild Turkey 101, especially when I want to get down to business fast.

 

Benchmark is a Buffalo Trace Bourbon.

 

From their site:

 

Benchmark

80 Proof “Rye Recipe” Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey

This whiskey is medium amber in color, with a nose that bears caramel notes and a delicate stone-fruit backdrop. The body is medium and the palate is robust and sturdy, with some fine leather notes mingling with dry tobacco, a touch of oak and a hint of dried cherries. The finish is smooth and medium in length.

 

Best Buy, Wine Enthusiast Magazine

Wine Enthusiast rating: 90

 

Gold Medal and Trophy Winner, 2000 International Spirits Challenge

 

You're drinking this near or on the rocks, right? Also, what was the 1/5 price again?

Just left the liquor store. Did not see Benchmark so I picked up a bottle of Willett. I did notice a bourbon called Berkshire that I haven't heard of. Does anyone know anything about it?

I am so so on Woodford.
That explains it then. BTW, don't tell LN that. :lol:
  • Author
Get smaller quantities and mix it up.

 

If they are starting out using the popular but non-premium brands may work. Makers, Woodford Reserve and 101 is a good sampling kit for starters. Beginners are not going to appreciate a single barrel over a blend, etc. If they wimp out and start using mixers keep some cheaper stuff at hand. No sense letting good single barrel get mixed with Coke.

 

I thought about that, it's going to get mixed with coke so I didn't want to break the bank. These guys like KG and all that cheap stuff, but I just cannot make myself stoop that low.

Just left the liquor store. Did not see Benchmark so I picked up a bottle of Willett. I did notice a bourbon called Berkshire that I haven't heard of. Does anyone know anything about it?

 

Not familiar with Berkshire. Sounds evil.

 

I do like Willett. If you can find it at the local stores, get a bottle of single barrel Willett and bring it over. I bought bottles for two folks for Christmas presents and never got a chance to sample it. I have had it before, mind you, but only in really small doses.

You're drinking this near or on the rocks, right? Also, what was the 1/5 price again?

 

No, I am mixer, I am not tough enough to go straight.

 

I am lost on the price other than Benchmark costs about $17 for a 1.75.

No, I am mixer, I am not tough enough to go straight.

I am lost on the price other than Benchmark costs about $17 for a 1.75.

 

 

At the risk of having my BGP privileges revoked for all time...

 

 

...not that there's anything wrong with that.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.