Devils74

Battle for the Paddle! Dayton vs. Bellevue

Who wins the Battle of the Paddle?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the Battle of the Paddle?

I grew up on that street and played in many battles with Dayton. Its a great rivalry and will come down to the wire. Im going with my Tigers by a 2 pt conversión.

Bellevue 22

Dayton 20

I grew up in both Dayton and Bellevue. Always a great game and a lot of pride between these two rivals. The Fill Inn will be rocking!

They used to play twice a season if I'm not mistaken?

I'm going with the green devils by 3.

Is this still a rivalry? No disrespect to either city or school, but doesn't Dayton have to win once in awhile to be a true rivalry...borrowing this logic from Mexitucky from another thread.

Can someone share the history of this game. Example what is the deal with the Paddle?

This was from the Cincinnati Enquirer from 2009:

The Bellevue-Dayton rivalry is the most-played high school football series in Greater Cincinnati. Although the National Federation of State High School Associations’ record book doesn’t list it among its most-played series, it would rank eighth nationally after last year’s 125th meeting. The two rival schools, located blocks away along the Campbell County riverfront, first met in 1927.

Any idea why the NFHSA does not recognize the series as the 8th longest?

This was from the Cincinnati Enquirer from 2009:

The Bellevue-Dayton rivalry is the most-played high school football series in Greater Cincinnati. Although the National Federation of State High School Associations’ record book doesn’t list it among its most-played series, it would rank eighth nationally after last year’s 125th meeting. The two rival schools, located blocks away along the Campbell County riverfront, first met in 1927.

Any idea why the NFHSA does not recognize the series as the 8th longest?

:idunno:

Is this still a rivalry? No disrespect to either city or school, but doesn't Dayton have to win once in awhile to be a true rivalry...borrowing this logic from Mexitucky from another thread.

Bellevue has definitely had the advantage over the years; I believe the last time Dayton won was three or four years ago, the season after Coach Lickert left for Holmes. Either way, games like this will ALWAYS remain a rivalry regardless of which team has the advantage. If you ask the majority of people this from Dayton or Bellevue, even Fort Thomas, Park Hills, and others, you are going to get the same answer.

I grew up in both Dayton and Bellevue. Always a great game and a lot of pride between these two rivals. The Fill Inn will be rocking!

They used to play twice a season if I'm not mistaken?

I'm going with the green devils by 3.

They did; we beat Bellevue both times when I played as a sophomore for the first time that I can remember during the '93 season. I'll never forget it, I had cousins and friends on that Bellevue team who were seniors that could not even look at me walking across the field after the last game. Regardless of how the games turned out, football seasons were very fun as a player and observer with both playing twice during the regular season.

Yeah Lickert ruined that tradition.

So Lickert changed the scheduling during his tenure?

I used to love playing the Devils twice. Home and Away gave both schools a fair shake.

I am going with Dayton. They seem to be able to play well vs some pretty solid teams. The paddle is a good idea but would like to see something a little nicer for the kids to win. Its a hand painted boat paddle kind of boring. The kids work awful hard all year for this game and always a hard fought game. Two small schools with both cities coming out to support always a fun game to be at. I will be in the stands. Good luck to both teams.

Is it a spanking paddle or a boating paddle?

If #18 for Dayton is playing I would go with Dayton in a close one. He rounds out their offense and makes it so you have to worry about more than just #40.

It looks like a small version of a boat paddle not full sice. Call up trophy awards in wilder. I am sure they can put together something a little nicer. I will be in the stands in Friday.

So Lickert changed the scheduling during his tenure?

I used to love playing the Devils twice. Home and Away gave both schools a fair shake.

I thought the State did away with playing district opponents twice?

I have heard that Dayton's RB broke his ankle. The Huff kid from Bellevue finally seems to be tough and running hard. I'm going with Bellevue

Bellevue 37

Dayton 13