Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Midnight Madness kicks off Friday night

Featured Replies

Completely and utterly off-topic, but is that Tolkien in your avatar? :idunno:

 

It is.

  • Replies 67
  • Views 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Karl Towns will be at Rupp Arena friday

  • Author
Yep. Nothing to like about that sentence. :p

 

After last season's nightmare, I'm not necessarily looking forward to another meeting with the Racers, but I believe that if the brackets work out right, there's a chance that Murray State and my beloved University of Dayton (All rise and remove your caps.) could meet twice this year thanks to the game in Dayton and the possible matchup in the Charleston Classic. Good luck to the Racers on all but those days.

 

The other school that gladly took my money in exchange for an oversized piece of paper, the University of Louisville, is holding the first of three public intrasquad scrimmages at the Crum Center this weekend to kick off the preseason. There's apparently some sort of fan festival on Main Street prior to the game that I'm looking forward to skipping but I'll be at the game -- 4 p.m. Saturday.

 

If you're from anywhere in this area and don't get chills thinking about the coming basketball season, then I'm forced to question whether you're a robot.

I like Dayton's chances for revenge... potentially twice as you said. I am not thinking MSU will be nearly the team they were last season. Like last season they replace 3 starters, but the three they are replacing were seasoned vets. The two returning starters are the most skilled. Too much hype. Heck, I would lean towards TSU being the OVC favorites. And do not forget Belmont is now in the OVC.

I think Jim is trying to point out the following:

The amount of money spent on the night of Big Blue Madness equals the amount of money the football team gets for an entire year of recruiting.

I'm sure there's an old saying for this, but I don't know what it is.

UK athletic fans get what the univeristy puts into each and every program on campus and this is a perfect example of setting priorities.

 

Bingo. As long as UK fans are so easily distracted by basketball -- especially something as trivial as a preseason practice -- there is no pressure whatsoever on the UK administration to raise the achievement bar for football. In other words, UK fans' passion for basketball adversely affects the fortunes of the football program.

I like Dayton's chances for revenge... potentially twice as you said. I am not thinking MSU will be nearly the team they were last season. Like last season they replace 3 starters, but the three they are replacing were seasoned vets. The two returning starters are the most skilled. Too much hype. Heck, I would lean towards TSU being the OVC favorites. And do not forget Belmont is now in the OVC.

 

I still don't know if I can go but that game in Dayton is on Dec. 22 and games while the students are home for the holidays are typically much easier to come by. I've already got tickets to three other games and don't know if I can justify a fourth trip up to the Gem City this season but I'm hoping...

I know exactly what he's saying. What does anything football related (at UK) have to do with a thread about the kickoff of college basketball?

 

All Jim is doing is trying to take shots at Kentucky. Anymore that's all he bring to the board....The delusional "hate everything UK related" poster.

 

No, my assessment comes from as dispassionate a standpoint as there can be. UK fans gripe about football sucking, yet don't think there's a correlation between their passion for hoops and their lack of passion for football and how the university prioritizes. Kentucky football will continue to be a joke until UK fans stop being so single-minded.

Bingo. As long as UK fans are so easily distracted by basketball -- especially something as trivial as a preseason practice -- there is no pressure whatsoever on the UK administration to raise the achievement bar for football. In other words, UK fans' passion for basketball adversely affects the fortunes of the football program.

 

I'm one UK fan who could care less about the football program if the basketball team is winning titles.

I'm one UK fan who could care less about the football program if the basketball team is winning titles.
I don't watch football at any level. So the plight of the football program worries me about as much as how well the water polo team is doing. :D
No, my assessment comes from as dispassionate a standpoint as there can be. UK fans gripe about football sucking, yet don't think there's a correlation between their passion for hoops and their lack of passion for football and how the university prioritizes. Kentucky football will continue to be a joke until UK fans stop being so single-minded.

 

:laugh: Your posting history here is FAR from dispassionate when it comes to UK and their fans.

 

You simply spin EVERYTHING as negative for UK fans.

 

We're unreasonable if we have high expectations or accept mediocrity if we're not screaming for change. No matter what a UK fan says, you'll claim its proof of something negative.

:laugh: Your posting history here is FAR from dispassionate when it comes to UK and their fans.

 

You simply spin EVERYTHING as negative for UK fans.

 

We're unreasonable if we have high expectations or accept mediocrity if we're not screaming for change. No matter what a UK fan says, you'll claim its proof of something negative.

 

I'm just trying to help out the UK football program. You guys just don't like what I have to say because I don't kneel at the altar of UK. At least FKYW and MJ are honest about it. Most of you act like you can't understand why UK football continues to be a joke, when the reasons are as plain as day.

I'm just trying to help out the UK football program. You guys just don't like what I have to say because I don't kneel at the altar of UK. At least FKYW and MJ are honest about it. Most of you act like you can't understand why UK football continues to be a joke, when the reasons are as plain as day.

 

JS... great white knight for the UK football program! Letting us know that if only we didn't care about Big Blue Madness, UK would be contending for SEC titles in no time flat.

JS... great white knight for the UK football program! Letting us know that if only we didn't care about Big Blue Madness, UK would be contending for SEC titles in no time flat.

 

Again, all I'm saying is the fact that UK fans are so single-minded in their passion -- and so easily distracted by the bouncing ball -- is why the administration feels no compulsion to fix their embarrassing football mess. If you guys were as passionate about football as you were basketball, you could have a good football program. But the fact that, as a whole, UK fans don't care about football is why that program continues to be one of the worst in the country, year-in and year-out. Success in one doesn't have to come at the expense of the other, but it sure seems to.

Again, all I'm saying is the fact that UK fans are so single-minded in their passion -- and so easily distracted by the bouncing ball -- is why the administration feels no compulsion to fix their embarrassing football mess. If you guys were as passionate about football as you were basketball, you could have a good football program. But the fact that, as a whole, UK fans don't care about football is why that program continues to be one of the worst in the country, year-in and year-out. Success in one doesn't have to come at the expense of the other, but it sure seems to.

 

What came first, the chicken or the egg?

Again, all I'm saying is the fact that UK fans are so single-minded in their passion -- and so easily distracted by the bouncing ball -- is why the administration feels no compulsion to fix their embarrassing football mess. If you guys were as passionate about football as you were basketball, you could have a good football program. But the fact that, as a whole, UK fans don't care about football is why that program continues to be one of the worst in the country, year-in and year-out. Success in one doesn't have to come at the expense of the other, but it sure seems to.

 

:idunno: Fans sure attend games like they care, but I guess you know better.

 

UK football attendance national ranking:

2011 - 27th

2010 - 25th

2009 - 22nd

2008 - 23rd

2007 - 23rd

2006 - 31st

2005 - 27th

2004 - (not listed)

2003 - 23rd

2002 - 24th

2001 - 23rd

2000 - 22nd

1999 - 21st

1998 - 26th

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.