Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NCAA Still Investigating Nerlens

Featured Replies

So if you robbed a bank and I told the police I saw you who exactly brought you down?

 

Mostly you.

 

You're taking this discussion somewhere else & I don't know why. My overall point is that Pete Thamel is itching to nail Calipari or a Calipari recruit doing something illegal. Matt Jones knows this. I know this. Most UK fans know this, because it's become an annual thing. First was Bledsoe/Cousins, then Enes, then Anthony Davis, & now it's Nerlens.

 

And as I said, what Thamel has reported thus far seems 100% factual. I have no problem with it. But neither do I have a problem with Matt Jones or any other UK fan calling a spade a spade, which is what they have done in identifying Thamel's Cal obsession.

  • Replies 74
  • Views 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author
Mostly you.

 

You're taking this discussion somewhere else & I don't know why. My overall point is that Pete Thamel is itching to nail Calipari or a Calipari recruit doing something illegal. Matt Jones knows this. I know this. Most UK fans know this, because it's become an annual thing. First was Bledsoe/Cousins, then Enes, then Anthony Davis, & now it's Nerlens.

 

And as I said, what Thamel has reported thus far seems 100% factual. I have no problem with it. But neither do I have a problem with Matt Jones or any other UK fan calling a spade a spade, which is what they have done in identifying Thamel's Cal obsession.

 

I'm a "don't shoot the messenger guy" when it comes to someone screwing up. If Cal ends up doing something illegal I'm not pointing my finger at Thamel/Billy Packer/Bobby Knight/LHL. I'm pointing the finger at Cal and UK. If Thamel doesn't like UK it has no bearing on the truth. Matt Jones et al should be concerned about the "why" of the NCAA going to check into Nerlens' academics and/or associations and not on who is reporting it.

That's where we differ. You view Thamel as "the messenger guy" & I see him as the nerdy tattle-tale in school who follows the most popular kid around everywhere he goes, just hoping to find something wrong that can be reported to the teacher. I've heard Matt Jones liken it to the Moby Dick story, which isn't all that far off.

 

Regarding Bobby Knight, UK fans such as I myself pointed out his gross inconsistency when he made the statement that it was a shame that UK had a basketball coach who had "put two schools on probation." While technically incorrect, I understand his point. And his point would be valid if he would have not elsewhere stated that his buddy Jim Tressel was a guy that should be held high as an example of what a college coach should look like. The same Jim Tressel who really has put two schools on probation.

 

Do UK fans sometimes get their panties in a wad over petty stuff? Sure. Doug Gottlieb's recent claim about UNC being the better team was a prime example of that. But in dealing with some of these situations (i.e. Thamel, Bob Knight, Jerry Tipton to a lesser degree), UK fans actually have factual arguments to make.

  • Author
That's where we differ. You view Thamel as "the messenger guy" & I see him as the nerdy tattle-tale in school who follows the most popular kid around everywhere he goes, just hoping to find something wrong that can be reported to the teacher. I've heard Matt Jones liken it to the Moby Dick story, which isn't all that far off.

 

Regarding Bobby Knight, UK fans such as I myself pointed out his gross inconsistency when he made the statement that it was a shame that UK had a basketball coach who had "put two schools on probation." While technically incorrect, I understand his point. And his point would be valid if he would have not elsewhere stated that his buddy Jim Tressel was a guy that should be held high as an example of what a college coach should look like. The same Jim Tressel who really has put two schools on probation.

 

Do UK fans sometimes get their panties in a wad over petty stuff? Sure. Doug Gottlieb's recent claim about UNC being the better team was a prime example of that. But in dealing with some of these situations (i.e. Thamel, Bob Knight, Jerry Tipton to a lesser degree), UK fans actually have factual arguments to make.

 

He's an investigative reporter so it's his job to be the messenger, right? Jones immediately tries to disqualify the veracity of the story with the "white whale" line . It's a red herring for him and it works with many of his followers.

 

Bobby Knight is a horse's rear end. No question about that. It's impressive he can even walk when talking about UK as it obviously excites him a bit. He gets the reaction out of UK fans that he's hoping for. The notice builds up his perceived level of influence. UK fans are HELPING him.. Matt Jones is helping him.

I didn't read anything in the article to indict Cal. I read that the NCAA wants to know who paid for his unofficials and they're looking into two of his local guys. If it wasn't pertinent to UK Sandy Bell would not have left Lexington.

 

It's certainly pertinent to UK.......... Noel is enrolled there.

Rose was indeed regarding a test which would seem to fall under becoming eligible.

 

Camby's issue involved an agent.

 

It was regarding eligibility, not the process of recruiting, which is where everyone says Cal is a cheater.

It was regarding eligibility, not the process of recruiting, which is where everyone says Cal is a cheater.

 

Not entirely true. He went from Chicago to Detroit (home of WWW) to take the test because his inner city Chicago family was going to a Bulls/Pistons playoff game. Plenty of red flags on the recruiting end of that situation...

I'm assuming UK is the only school that cheats to get recruits. Thank God Roy Williams and Mike Kyerheorhjerheljhrelr jlejre do things the right way.

  • Author
It was regarding eligibility, not the process of recruiting, which is where everyone says Cal is a cheater.

 

Depends. If it was determined that the staff knew about it then it becomes "recruiting."

It's ashame Cal and all of the other coaches have to deal with all of these scum buckets who are nothing but leaches on these kids.

He's an investigative reporter so it's his job to be the messenger, right? Jones immediately tries to disqualify the veracity of the story with the "white whale" line . It's a red herring for him and it works with many of his followers.

 

Bobby Knight is a horse's rear end. No question about that. It's impressive he can even walk when talking about UK as it obviously excites him a bit. He gets the reaction out of UK fans that he's hoping for. The notice builds up his perceived level of influence. UK fans are HELPING him.. Matt Jones is helping him.

 

Jones uses the Moby Dick analogy it because it is a perfectly suitable one. How many UK recruits does Thamel have to investigate for you to acknowledge this obsession of his? And as I said earlier, if you had told me before this came out that a sports reporter would write a story about a follow-up investigation regarding Nerlens Noel, why is it that I (and many other folks) would have been able to identify Pete Thamel in just one guess?

Jones uses the Moby Dick analogy it because it is a perfectly suitable one. How many UK recruits does Thamel have to investigate for you to acknowledge this obsession of his? And as I said earlier, if you had told me before this came out that a sports reporter would write a story about a follow-up investigation regarding Nerlens Noel, why is it that I (and many other folks) would have been able to identify Pete Thamel in just one guess?

 

Because Matt Jones tells you to identify him in one guess??? :idunno:

  • Author
Jones uses the Moby Dick analogy it because it is a perfectly suitable one. How many UK recruits does Thamel have to investigate for you to acknowledge this obsession of his? And as I said earlier, if you had told me before this came out that a sports reporter would write a story about a follow-up investigation regarding Nerlens Noel, why is it that I (and many other folks) would have been able to identify Pete Thamel in just one guess?

 

 

So you're saying Matt Jones does NOT try to discredit the story simply based upon the author?

  • Author
It's ashame Cal and all of the other coaches have to deal with all of these scum buckets who are nothing but leaches on these kids.

 

That has to be the absolute worst part of recruiting.

Because Matt Jones tells you to identify him in one guess??? :idunno:

 

Hahahaha...I'm not a Matt Jones lap dog, as you're intending to insinuate. I listen to his show daily & enjoy it, but I disagree with him often. Clyde is right about the Dan Dakich story, for instance. He has gone too far with Jeff Goodman at times. Same with the cartoonist from the Herald-Leader a few months ago.

 

What I have done in regards to Pete Thamel is what Clyde suggested in his email to Jones, when he talked about taking information like this and "digesting it, analyzing it, and then coming to an intelligent conclusion."

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.