Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Highlands 55 NCC 48

Featured Replies

I think a lot of HHS players handle their roles well. Quite obvious out there. Eaton, Hudepohl, Smith all come in and play hard to help out the team. Eaton put some good defense on Heil tonight in the second half. Hudepohl played some great minutes. Didn't have his typical 3 flying but made great contributions while Vories was out and again in the second half. Smith worked hard as usual to get some rebounds. Had a great take away and took it down the court and passed off to Simpson for an easy layup to give the Birds the half time lead.

 

Vories speaks for himself when he can come back after half after taking a foot to the eye and hitting back to back shots (one a three) in the second half. Jeff takes the game in his hands and the rest of the Birds take their place to make the team. Again, hats off to Coach Schlarman for keeping them focused.

  • Replies 52
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did Hudy play against CCH?

Yes, played several minutes

Yes, played several minutes

 

What's his number? I don't remember hearing his name.

The referee stayed and watched the Heil kid and Guidugli because they had both fallen to the floor. Guidugli got up and stepped on Heil while Heil had both hands away from Ben. The call was right.

 

Guidugli could have very easily been called for a technical on the slapping backboard as well. Making the backboard vibrate by slapping it can be called a technical foul. And he wasn't making a legitimate play on the shot as it was already in the basket. He also fouled a three point shooter in the last minute of the game to make a four point play.

 

NCC had all kinds of trouble at the point guard tonight. Bueter dribbles way too much with his head down and the offense stands around too much.

 

Vories had a very nice ball game and was the difference late in the game. He had two 3's in the 4Q and made an elbow jumper.

 

Highlands has a very nice team but I'm sure Willie won't be happy with how they ended the game.

Ok, I was sitting right behind the official scorer. And I mean right behind him. Next row, almost in his hip pocket. The main ref did in fact come out at the end of half and tell the scorer that it was an intentional foul but not a technical. I heard every word the ref said. Truth be told, it should have been a no call. G did not step on him. The ref made the call on the back side of the kid on the ground and could not have possibly seen where G put his foot down. To me, and if you know me I've got some problems with G's behavior at times, he looked to be intentionally trying to NOT step on the kid (hard as that may be for some of the G haters to believe). Unfortunately because of G.'s past behavior, every ref in the region is watching him closely and assuming the worst. And this ref just made a bad call. I understand as they are human and G's type of play asks for it. I honestly think the ref knew he may have made a mistake and that may explain the change from a T to an intentional foul. And make no mistake the ref, although it was a different ref did definitely tell the official scorer that it was not a T (although the calling ref had definitely made the T sign at the time) and was an intentional foul. It was definitely overturned.

 

Now back to the game. Great hustle by both teams. The Heil kid lit it up in the first half. He is a really good looking player. I think the tough defense of Highlands wore him down in the second half as his shots start coming up short. Keirnan played well at times. Frankly he played every bit as physical as G. did. Beuter and Gesenhues played ok at times. Shutting down/wearing out Heil was the key to the Birds victory.Vories sitting out a lot due to the eye swelling may have actually help a little bit as he was well rested. He played big in the second half. G. had some nice plays. Tanner had some nice plays. He and Simpson made clutch free throws to ice the game. Detzel ran onto the court not to complain about G. hitting the backboard but merely to quickly call a time out. Was way out of the coaching area, but who cares. It wasn't a big deal. I like Detzel. Kept his cool and coached well. NCC has a nice team. Highlands had more depth (or at least played more players) and that was the difference in my mind.

 

Kids from both schools were spirited. Not sure what has gotten into the Highlands kids this year ( NCC and CC have had spirited cheering sections in the past) but due, I guess, to the Birds success on the court, their cheering section is really into it this year. Good job.

The foul was changed to an intentional foul because of technicality. The ball was live and therefore any "contact" foul is a personal foul. It has to be either intentional or flagrant. He did step right on Heil but was done more as a message and not intended to harm and that is why it was not a flagrant foul. Flagrant fouls = disqualification while intentional fouls carry the same penalty as a technical save where the ball is inbounded after the free throws.

Didn't know the play involved the Heil boy. He is good ball player and is as spirited and competitive as Ben G. Therefore I am sure they were going at it all night.

What's his number? I don't remember hearing his name.

 

21 is his # or it could be 21-k :lol:

  • Author

Vories is the straw that stirs the drink. He and Simpson can really get just about anywhere they want to go with the ball on the floor. Most teams will have a difficult time guarding either of them.

The foul was changed to an intentional foul because of technicality. The ball was live and therefore any "contact" foul is a personal foul. It has to be either intentional or flagrant. He did step right on Heil but was done more as a message and not intended to harm and that is why it was not a flagrant foul. Flagrant fouls = disqualification while intentional fouls carry the same penalty as a technical save where the ball is inbounded after the free throws.

 

 

Equus, we'll just have to respectfully disagree with one another as to whether he did step on the NCC player, or even more importantly, whether he intended to step on him which is the real issue here. From my angle, which was a good one, it did not appear that he stepped on Heil but rather his foot was right next to Heil's body. The ref was under the basket and behind the scene and couldn't have seen where the foot landed. From my angle I could see it. But I'll ask Bob to ask Luke. I wasn't aware you could not have a technical foul while the ball was live. I sure want to remember Ross Neltner getting T'd up for throwing an elbow a couple of years ago and the ball was live. I guess the rules have changed.

 

 

I definitely agree Willie couldn't have been happy with the way the Birds played the last several minutes. Then again, that was virgin territory for the Birds. Having a decent lead against a very good team with several minutes to go and needing to protect the lead. I'm sure Willie will use it as a coaching moment.

 

Anyway, take care. It was a good game and kids on both teams busted their humps the entire game. You can't, win or lose, ask for anything more than that in my opinion. Fantastic defense was played by both teams. Both offenses looked bad at times, but the immediately preceeding sentence explains that. I wish the Breds nothing but good luck the rest of the season and look forward to the return match up.

I wasn't aware you could not have a technical foul while the ball was live. I sure want to remember Ross Neltner getting T'd up for throwing an elbow a couple of years ago and the ball was live. I guess the rules have changed.

 

You can receive an unsporting (non-contact)technical foul at anytime and that is what Ross would have received for throwing an elbow. "Contact" fouls while the ball is live are personal rather than technical and that has always been so. If Ross had made contact with whomever it would have been a personal foul and possibly deemed flagrant.

 

Highlands offense looked good most of the game and they got far better looks than NCC. The bred's best offense came when Bueter was double teamed, almost gave up the ball, and out of desperation found someone open cutting to the basket or Heil for the open jumper.

 

They are on two different paths, Highlands and NCC. Highlands could possibly win the region while NewCath could miss the regional tourney all together if they don't get a good draw.

 

As far the stepping on Heil, if you were behind the scorer then I was a little closer to the play but I'll go with the ref that sensed trouble and stayed with the action at the perfect angle to see them both get up and made the call from 5 feet away. My point here and with the possible slapping Bboard Tech is that he could cost the Birds somewhere down the line if his attitude remains so combatitive. I hope that doesn't happen to the kids that play so hard and cleanly

 

Good luck to the Birds and I hope the Breds see them no sooner than the district finals.

Good 2 nights for the Birds.

 

When are the Dogs on the schedule?

Good 2 nights for the Birds.

 

When are the Dogs on the schedule?

I beleve it is in the 1st week of Feb. (7th?) at Highlands . Get there early!

I think Coach Schlarman will talk with Ben G. regarding the last 2 games. I think he will pat him on the back for his tremendous effort but will also speak with him about the T's and the impact it could have on a close game particularly in the district or regional tournament. The T's don't help Ben and they don't help the team. I am very confident they will be addressed. I didn't see the play tonight so I can't comment one way of the other. But there is always two perspectives.

 

This is well stated. And it is really more about playing smart than anything else. In the final minute when holding a lead there is no reason to slap a backboard after the shot was already made and you really weren't part of the play. The last thing you need there is some sort of call that allows the opposition to cut into the lead without the clock running. Or again with less than a minute to go to legitimately foul the shooter on a made 3 point shot. That made a 51-41 game now a two possession game at 51-45 with significant time left.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.