Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Highlands 55 NCC 48

Featured Replies

Good crowd, good cheering sections, good JV game (NCC won 46-32 and Highlands JV coach needs to observe Coach Schlarman more), only some minor slipping on the floor, and not a basketball clinic, but a fun game.

 

Agreed on all counts. Appeared to me the JV coach was actually turning to the HHS cheering section and complaining about calls. The JV coach "chest bumping" with Ben G before every game is also an unfortunate "line-blurring" between coach and "fan."

  • Replies 52
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Appeared to me the NCC coach and his whole staff was asking for a technical foul on Ben G for slapping the backboard when he was attempting to block the made shot. Not sure if there is any HS rule which would mandate that, but that seemed to be their initial reaction.

 

Regardless, 3-5' on the court and all the way down to the baseline in a hurry toward the ref will often result in a Technical.

 

Why were there 3 officials tonight? Is that something the teams can ask for? The 3rd official was one of the 2 officials from the JV game.

 

Maybe. There wasn't any player contact though and none of the players were trying to call TO. And you might think the refs should have been aware of a TO call, but their job is to watch the action on the floor, and I'm sure they never would have heard a TO call. (That's why I believe in basketball and football the players should have to call TO and the coach should not be able to.)

 

Also forgot to note that Simpson nailed just about every foul shot and Highlands wants the ball in his hands in fouling situations. Doesn't ever get rushed or rattled and will be THE go-to guy next year IMO.

What else would the NCC coach be doing? His team just made a layup to cut it to 6 points with 25 seconds to go and he wanted to set up the press. He wasn't contesting a call because there was not one.

 

Calls were lopsided in the second half because Highlands was actually playing pressure defense which results in fouls, while NCC was slow to the ball and was letting Highlands get open looks at the basket.

 

BTW, stepping on a player would be a foul, stomping is a technical and the ref got correct.

 

 

Guess holding onto a player isn't a foul??

Guess holding onto a player isn't a foul??

 

Well if he was holding him the ref would have called a foul. Therefore since no foul was called we can conclude that a hold did not occur. Also I believe Coach Willie would not have immediate sat a player for a nice period of time that was the victim of a bad call. ;)

I forgot that was why coach was running on the floor. At least two of the coaches were trying to get a "T" called for the backboard hit and not a timeout.

 

I think Ben takes a lot of heat due to his name. I would take a guy like Ben on my team every time. He has heart and is a competitor. He is the player every other team loves to hate. I think Cov Cath and NC had more cheers for Ben than they did for their own team.

 

Rumor was on the court after the game the "T" on the court was reversed and was counted as a personal foul. Heard that as the refs were coming out of the locker room.

Well if he was holding him the ref would have called a foul. Therefore since no foul was called we can conclude that a hold did not occur. Also I believe Coach Willie would not have immediate sat a player for a nice period of time that was the victim of a bad call. ;)

 

 

So according to you the ref called every foul on the floor tonight??? And I think Coach Schlarmann will sit one of his players every time they get a "T" to calm them down and straighten them out.

I think Coach Schlarman will talk with Ben G. regarding the last 2 games. I think he will pat him on the back for his tremendous effort but will also speak with him about the T's and the impact it could have on a close game particularly in the district or regional tournament. The T's don't help Ben and they don't help the team. I am very confident they will be addressed. I didn't see the play tonight so I can't comment one way of the other. But there is always two perspectives.

Slapping the backboard is not a violation and definitely not a technical in high school and college. In the NBA, its a violation.

 

In high school/college, the only time slapping is a problem is if its deemed to be intentional. I've never seen it called.

I forgot that was why coach was running on the floor. At least two of the coaches were trying to get a "T" called for the backboard hit and not a timeout.

 

I think Ben takes a lot of heat due to his name. I would take a guy like Ben on my team every time. He has heart and is a competitor. He is the player every other team loves to hate. I think Cov Cath and NC had more cheers for Ben than they did for their own team.

 

Rumor was on the court after the game the "T" on the court was reversed and was counted as a personal foul. Heard that as the refs were coming out of the locker room.

 

The problem is people should be talking about Vories being extremely under-rated and making the team go on offense by setting up the other players or talking the game over and creating his own shot. Or they should be talking about Tanner Johnson finding his role and playing with more control in the past years. Doing the little things like setting screens, getting to loose balls, keeping the ball in play. Or they should be talking about Simpson being able to drive one-on-one and calmly making foul shot after foul shot. Or any of the subs off the bench knowing what their role is. The other stuff takes away from those players.

Correct, True Blue, - enough said - end of story!

I forgot that was why coach was running on the floor. At least two of the coaches were trying to get a "T" called for the backboard hit and not a timeout.

 

I think Ben takes a lot of heat due to his name. I would take a guy like Ben on my team every time. He has heart and is a competitor. He is the player every other team loves to hate. I think Cov Cath and NC had more cheers for Ben than they did for their own team.

 

Rumor was on the court after the game the "T" on the court was reversed and was counted as a personal foul. Heard that as the refs were coming out of the locker room.

 

If the player is making a legitimate effort to block the shot it is not a technical foul when you hit the back board. That rule was changed. It is no different than when a lot of players slap/hit the back board when making a layup.

A T counts as a personal foul.

 

Rumor was on the court after the game the "T" on the court was reversed and was counted as a personal foul. Heard that as the refs were coming out of the locker room.

 

Were there 2 shots for the technical? If so, it wasn't changed later.

Yes.

 

Can we then agree that the T was not overturned?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.