What if Curiosity finds a single cell of life?

Jumper_Dad

No. We've found evidence of past conditions that used to favor life. There was a rock found that could possibly be fossilized life, but there are equally supportive explanations that it might not be.

Okay thanks, that's what I remember reading about. That, to me, is proof of life.

No. We've found evidence of past conditions that used to favor life. There was a rock found that could possibly be fossilized life, but there are equally supportive explanations that it might not be.

My exact understanding too.

I am glad we have you on top of these issues TBG, that way I don't have to research them, I can just listen to you!

How bout spending it to pay down the deficit then?

$2.5 billion represents, at best, about two days worth of interest payments on the debt. There are a lot of things causing the national debt to grow at an unsustainable rate. Sending a mobile, robotic laboratory to the surface of planet that's somewhere in the range of 175,000,000 miles away in preparation for manned exploration all for the cost of about two years of total Congressional salaries isn't even close to being among the things to fix first.

$2.5 billion represents, at best, about two days worth of interest payments on the debt. There are a lot of things causing the national debt to grow at an unsustainable rate. Sending a mobile, robotic laboratory to the surface of planet that's somewhere in the range of 175,000,000 miles away in preparation for manned exploration all for the cost of about two years of total Congressional salaries isn't even close to being among the things to fix first.

It's a start. Quit spending money we don't have.

How much difference would there be in finding fossilzed life form vs finding a current living cell?

I think that it would be harder to debate against a fossil. We've only been sending probes to Mars this past century, of course, so no one could argue that the "life" was brought with this or other probe. Now, that won't stop those who think that it was a farce in denouncing it.