First Day of High School

Watusi

I just watched my son head out for the first day of his freshman year of high school.

I am surprised that I am feeling so nostalgic about it. I am happy for him and excited to see him make this transition, but a big part of me wants to go back and hold him in my arms and rock him to sleep again.

I know it is the cycle of life, I am just not sure I am ready for it.

Has anyone else felt this way when your babies started growing up too fast?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just watched my son head out for the first day of his freshman year of high school.

I am surprised that I am feeling so nostalgic about it. I am happy for him and excited to see him make this transition, but a big part of me wants to go back and hold him in my arms and rock him to sleep again.

Yep and he graduated from high school in May.

I know it's a cliche but it truly does go by really fast. You've just dropped him off and before you know it he's going to have his driver's license. I told my kids to enjoy every minute of high school. That is the best time of their youth and innocence. Cherish it. Both of you.

Sorry for the cliche.

Definitely feel that way, and mine are only in the 4th grade. :scared::cry:

That feeling never changes.
I was afraid of that.

The biggest struggle I have is trying to resist jumping in and trying to fix every problem he has instead of sitting back and letting him work it out for himself. It is hard to watch your child fail at anything even though they need some failures to learn from.

My oldest started his senior year on Monday. Momma boo-hoo'd when he left. I fought the urge on my way to work. I feel ya 2C.

Oh wow, next year is really going to suck then. I dread August 25th when we drop the oldest off at Campbellsville. Mom is going to be a wreck until he comes home a week later for Labor Day. :lol:

I was afraid of that.

The biggest struggle I have is trying to resist jumping in and trying to fix every problem he has instead of sitting back and letting him work it out for himself. It is hard to watch your child fail at anything even though they need some failures to learn from.

That doesnt change either. It's my biggest challenge as well.

Oh wow, next year is really going to suck then. I dread August 25th when we drop the oldest off at Campbellsville. Mom is going to be a wreck until he comes home a week later for Labor Day. :lol:

Free advice: Don't kid yourself into thinking it's only "Mom" who is going to be sad. Trust me.

First day of Kindergarten for mine. Unreal.

Did that last year. It didn't hit me until I took her to school one day. I stood there and watched her walk down the sidewalk with her backpack on and disappear into the school. Now she's entering 1st grade, and her first full day of school. That should be interesting.