August 5, 201214 yr I could have heard wrong but wasn't he doing those exact things you just mentioned in spring training? I thought I heard he was having really good control of his off speed pitches in spring training, and which is why he was the best starter in spring training from what Walt said. As a closer you don't need many pitches, especially when you throw 100 mph. I think he needs to mix in the slider more while closing, however I think his off speed stuff would be just fine if he was starting because he would be practicing more and being throwing it more in games to get better at it. So obviously I still say he needs to start next year or at least attempt to. If it doesn't work out, then we already know he can close. Which him attepting to start would make him throw that off speed stuff which would also help him as a closer if he got switched back. He is a dominant closer, but also could be a dominant pitcher and a pitcher that could take all all the way while starting. Now if they do win it all this year, then I may change my opinion too. However I will add if they decide to keep him as a closer and never try him as a starter, I wont be to upset about it. For me personally I would still try to start him next season. Ask Daniel Bard how easy that transition was. No way do I touch what he is doing. The Reds have 5 good starters now. I don't see another legitimate closer. Don't mess with success. For us older guys, we remember the experiment they tried with one Randall Kirk Myers in 1991.
August 5, 201214 yr I have bought into the closer role. Trying to throw 100 for 6 straight innings will wear him down very, very quickly.
August 5, 201214 yr Ask Daniel Bard how easy that transition was. No way do I touch what he is doing. The Reds have 5 good starters now. I don't see another legitimate closer. Don't mess with success. For us older guys, we remember the experiment they tried with one Randall Kirk Myers in 1991. I have bought into the closer role. Trying to throw 100 for 6 straight innings will wear him down very, very quickly. If he was starting he wouldn't be throwing the fastball every pitch. Don't forget in spring training he was throwing his off speed pitch a good amount and was doing well with it. When you close you don't need all the other pitchers, and can rely just on his fastball. He won't be just throwing fastballs if he was starting. Which by the way did David Price and Adam Wainwright both close at one point during World Series runs by their teams, and then end up starting the next year? They didn't do to bad with it. I know its not exactly the same, but it is worth a shot.
August 5, 201214 yr Because he throws so hard, I'm worried about how long his arm will actually hold up. He could end up having a wonderfully long career like Randy Johnson did, or he could end up being on the DL like Kerry Wood did. There's no guarantee either way. So, based upon that, and if you cautiously believe there's only so many pitches left in his arm...I would rather use him when it benefits the Reds the most. And right now, that's saving a game that they've already got the lead in. I'd hate to have him go 7 innings of 1 or 2 run ball as a starter, and lose because the Reds' bats couldn't figure out Carpenter or Lincecum or Kershaw that day, and lose. He throws very hard no doubt, but people like Randy Johnson and Verlander could also throw very hard if they knew they were just geared up for one inning and didn't have to pace theirselves for a whole game. Hard throwing pitches can and do make it too. Maybe it won't work out, but its worth a shot IMO.
August 5, 201214 yr I love watching the missile come in to close. I don't see any need to make him a starter. Would I rather have an absolutely dominant closer or a dominant starter? Of course the starter. But he would probably be rough around the edges, and maybe even an could happen injury down the road. Not really a risk I think they should take next season.
August 5, 201214 yr Seems like back in April me and a guy named Spindoc were the only ones in the universe who wanted him in the closer role. The guy is perfectly suited to be one of the dominant closers of all time. Four fifth's of the starting rotation is pretty well set for some time, why not leave him at closer, shore up the rest of the back end of the pen, and shorten games to six or seven innings for the next seven years?
August 5, 201214 yr I love watching the missile come in to close. I don't see any need to make him a starter. Would I rather have an absolutely dominant closer or a dominant starter? Of course the starter. But he would probably be rough around the edges, and maybe even an could happen injury down the road. Not really a risk I think they should take next season. My question is which one is worst on an arm? Throwing as hard as you can three nights in a row sometimes? Or Starting one day out of 5 and probably taking a little off when starting since he will be throwing more pitches on days he starts? He very well could get hurt just as easily closing as he could starting IMO. I am not a doctor though, so I could be wrong.
August 5, 201214 yr One more thing to add. You can win in the playoffs with Cueto, Latos and Bailey as your starters and they should be here a while. I would change Bailey to either Arroyo or Leake. I just don't trust Bailey to be able to keep his composure in a playoff game. Arroyo has experience, and I would even trust Leake more to keep his composure in a big game. Bailey has had a good year besides his last two starts, but I still wouldn't have him in the top three for the playoffs.
August 5, 201214 yr I know Chapman has always said that he wants to be a starter. Why in the world would he want to mess with the success he is having? Is his agent pushing him on this? Starters tend to make more money than relievers, I hope that money isn't a factor in this decision.
August 5, 201214 yr I would change Bailey to either Arroyo or Leake. I just don't trust Bailey to be able to keep his composure in a playoff game. Arroyo has experience, and I would even trust Leake more to keep his composure in a big game. Bailey has had a good year besides his last two starts, but I still wouldn't have him in the top three for the playoffs. Yeah I agree with that if it's Arroyo. Arroyo gave them an awesome start in the 2010 playoffs too. Bailey game 4 works for me. I was just going based off stuff. I don't think this is their last year competing for playoff spots and the Reds need Bailey now and in the future.
August 6, 201214 yr Yeah I agree with that if it's Arroyo. Arroyo gave them an awesome start in the 2010 playoffs too. Bailey game 4 works for me. I was just going based off stuff. I don't think this is their last year competing for playoff spots and the Reds need Bailey now and in the future. I know I am very glad to see Bailey putting together a pretty good year for the most part, I know I always had high hopes for him. However I would take Leake over him still, Leake got off to a rough start this year. However since then he has done pretty well, and always shown the composure on the field at least that Homer hasn't shown all the time.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.